I'm Tired of CGI Cartoons.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 09:58 pm
Peggy Lee spent the rest of her life wrangling with Disney over her part of Lady and the Tramp profits. Walt nearly messed up Snow White at different times. For one, he had them animate the prince to move like a ballet dancer, instead of walking. When people laughed, he had them change it. After I grew up, I saw many of his flaws, and marveled that I had revered some pretty trite storytelling. Not to take away from some solid accomplishments.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 10:37 pm
Evolution. It can be a wonderful thing sometimes.
0 Replies

reedsea

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 07:03 pm
Re: I'm Tired of CGI Cartoons.
i like hand-drawn cartoons too,it is more imaginable.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 03:32 pm
I agree that both hand drawn and CGI have their benefits... I love the old films for the nostalgia but at the same time there are movie like Ratatouille that were done so beautifully that I see the benefits to both....

the upcoming Wall-E that just has me so excited ... If you missed the tease before Ratatouille here it is: Wall-E
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 09:15 am
I must give credit to PIXAR for new technology and huge talent they brought thru films like Toy Story, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles.

even Ratatouille
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 09:44 am
Visiting the PIXAR Website is a fascinating trip through the nuts and bolts of computer animation.

The "How We Do It" button reveals the process from drawings, to storyboards, to the computer drawing and modeling, and final animation in the computer. It is still wholly an artistic process using the computer to create the art.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 01:20 pm
Thanks for the website LW. I'll have to check it out.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 01:39 pm
Click on "The Theater" button and it has sampling of their short films, one winning the Oscar, I believe but can't remember which one. It also has trailers and some hilarious "outtakes."
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 01:46 pm
The site looks fully loaded. Like an all-day excursion.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 02:38 pm
It could occupy several hours if you go surfing around the entire site.

From Wikipedia: Tin Toy is a 1988 Pixar Animation Studios short film using computer animation. It was directed by John Lasseter and won the 1989 Academy Award for Animated Short Film.

It looks like it was posted on You Tube but then was pulled due to a copyright violation complaint by Pixar. Well, duh.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 11:05 am
I really enjoyed the Toy Story films, those must be my fav cgi films, and the Ice Age ones too.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 01:59 pm
I think they have just gotten better with time.. Look at Wall-E .. If it is possible for Pixar to improve it looks like it they are going forward with each new movie .. Ratatouille was beautiful and I expect the same from their next endeavor.

http://www.philippeduvin.com/images/wall-e_02.jpg
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 02:04 pm
It's going to keep getting better, of course. But my fear is that someday, there will be no flesh and bone actors. Everything, sets, actors, all of it will be CGI, like that stupid movie Al Pacino did a few years back.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 01:57 pm
I don't think that animation will replace actors... Society is too fascinated with celebrity to let that culture go anytime soon.. We need real people in the role .... but I enjoy seeing how close we can get to the real thing through animation.. at the same time you can do some things with animation that just would not look right in a "real" movie
0 Replies