OCCOM BILL endorses Michael Moore’s new movie (Sicko).

NickFun

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 11:15 pm
Agrreed OCCOM BILL! (Damn! I never though I'd say that!)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 11:22 am
I'm all for people not making stupid decisions about anything -- picking a partner, buying a TV, hiring a contractor, but I'm don't often find empathy for that sort of blind spot. However, when it comes to medical care, it's simply because you can't let people suffer and die because they made a stupid (or bad) decision. Likewise, if they are just in a position that they can't afford the inflated insurance cost, especially small business owners. The HMO's have failed badly in their so-called free enterprise endeavor because their plot under scrutiny is not to the benefit of the patient, hospitals or doctors but to pay their hierarchy big bucks. The drug companies have bled out all the rationalization that they have to get their money back on research with the threat that research will stop. This after selling people bad drugs as well as good drugs (sometimes the physician or the medical group, but especially the HMO's are to blame here). Actually they've stepped up to bat to an extent with Medicare and the HMO's administrations handling Medicare but it's not much more than tokenism.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 02:32 pm
From MM's site (no, that's not Marilyn Monroe):

Today, Michael Moore will be live on Countdown with Keith Olbermann on MSNBC at 8:00 PM (EST). If you forget to set your alarm clock, it will be on again at midnight (also EST).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 05:51 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
See the film, darlin. I recently took an opposing position with Nimh on the subject myself, but I was wrong. Leaving someone without Medical care because they made/make stupid decisions solves nothing. Does believing someone made a foolish choice really make you feel any better about the poor bastard's predicament? Infant mortality rate is worse in the U.S. than the rest of the West... that should pretty much sell it alone.

New OCCOM position. F*ck the Insurance companies. It's single payer time. People who make stupid decisions still occasionally need Police, Fire Department, School... and Health Care. Who the f*ck are we (as a people) that we'd rationalize some sorry son of a bitch suffering unnecessarily for lack of Medicine?

Want breakthroughs? Buy them. Put a bounty on that which needs solving: Cure something; get paid X (5?) years worth of what the Gov would have spent battling it... total. F*ck another multi-million dollar maintenance drug. How about a billion dollar cure instead? If your drug saves money over his; great. If your drug solves the problem; even better... and more profitable. Drug money is chump-change compared to the overall medical costs associated with most ailments (I'm guessing; but set the bounty where the cure is the more profitable choice.)

Wow!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 06:03 pm
I'm not surprised by Occom Bill's position on this. I've noticed in many threads he is willing to changing his mind when presented with some ideas that make sense to him and fit his values. As Conservatives on this forum go, I find Bill is one of the few who actually reads what other people write and keeps an open mind in the process. I may not always agree with his opinions, but they are not the knee jerk conservative dogma so many others around here succumb to.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 06:20 pm
Oh I know, and I agree. Bill's a cool guy, I like him a lot. That's still quite a reversal.

I'm not even sure if I'm for single-payer health care. That is, if I could snap my fingers and make it so I might be -- but in terms of politicians I support, I think a more measured approach might be necessary for anything to really happen.

I'm not sure yet, still learning about this issue.

Might give the Moore movie a look-see. The problem is that while I think he usually chooses worthwhile topics, I often dislike his tactics. I'm worried that enough problems will turn up with this movie that it can easily be dismissed as just more propaganda, when I think the core issue is very serious and valid. We'll see.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 06:25 pm
We've certainly locked horns in the past but sometimes only because I get a kick out of needling him (except I'm sure he always knew that). I don't think this is a right or left issue and Moore tried his best to keep politics out of his polemic, including his own. He's never been an innocent bystander and he has bothered me with some of his more blunt approaches that seemed to me ill-conceived. I didn't find that with this film. The ending of the movie seems like a stunt until you see his interviews or read about his motives and what happened behind the scenes. Actually some of it extremely funny in itself.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 06:29 pm
Green Witch wrote:
I'm not surprised by Occom Bill's position on this. I've noticed in many threads he is willing to changing his mind when presented with some ideas that make sense to him and fit his values. As Conservatives on this forum go, I find Bill is one of the few who actually reads what other people write and keeps an open mind in the process. I may not always agree with his opinions, but they are not the knee jerk conservative dogma so many others around here succumb to.

I agree with that, Green Witch.

Bill can be rational at times and, although he is a cheesehead, he still has my respect.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 06:38 pm
Let's give Bill a big liberal hug (with a little boobing) and invite him to our next tofu BBQ...

((((oo))))
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 06:39 pm
Gus has boobs? Who knew?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 06:42 pm
sozobe wrote:
Gus has boobs? Who knew?

Those bib overalls make everyone look flat chested.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 09:29 pm
Embarrassed

Green Witch wrote:
((((oo))))
Laughing
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 09:10 am
I heard in UK most of the Insurance companies dont cover or classify these as least fatal conditions ...

1. Epidemics
2. Flu brought from Asian Countries
3. Cancer treatment for smokers
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 10:21 pm
Please source that if you can. "I heard" means little from an anonymous poster on a message board.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 11:42 pm
vinsan wrote:
I heard in UK most of the Insurance companies dont cover or classify these as least fatal conditions ...

1. Epidemics
2. Flu brought from Asian Countries
3. Cancer treatment for smokers

There are
a) sources online
b) enough Britons here

who could tell you to do either get your ears checked and look for someone else to talk with.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 11:57 pm
On the other hand, flu originating anywhere west of the Urals gains coverage.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 08:45 am
1. Most insurance companies -- so some insurance companies cover one, two or all three of the illnesses?

2. Not having studied the UK universal health provisions in detail, when does the government take responsibility if the insurance company won't authorize or pay for illnesses?

3. Least fatal? What does that mean? What epidemics are "least fatal?" AIDS? Allergies to British cooking? Bad teeth? Dandruff?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 12:50 pm
Quote:
3. Allergies to British cooking? Bad teeth? Dandruff?

Now, that's just mean.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 12:59 pm
I know. I apologize -- could not pass it up. Very Happy
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 01:01 pm
The Queen remembers.
0 Replies