US Violating Geneva Convention?

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 08:27 pm
The Geneva Convention forbids the taking of hostages, yet:

Col. David Hogg, commander of the 2nd Brigade of the 4th Infantry Division, said tougher methods are being used to gather the intelligence. On Wednesday night, he said, his troops picked up the wife and daughter of an Iraqi lieutenant general. They left a note: "If you want your family released, turn yourself in." Such tactics are justified, he said, because, "It's an intelligence operation with detainees, and these people have info." They would have been released in due course, he added later.

Washington Post Article
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,012 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 09:02 pm
The line between war and terrorism is thin.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 09:23 pm
its the cut and tailoring of the uniforms that makes the difference.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 09:24 pm
That article leaves me sneering. I didn't like the gung-ho attitude and I don't think that it sounded particularly professional.

Anyway, I don't like the tactics the author seems to be embracing: raiding a whole street, operating during the day amongst civilians (just maybe that can't be helped), and the bit about holding family hostage (so it seems to me) to get info.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 02:40 am
Oh, so that was the reason America didn't want an international court for war criminals!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 03:18 am
The winners define what was war and what was terrorism.

Our noble freedom fighters.

Their terrorists.

(ok, I don't think it is a new insight or anything - but I just felt sick...)
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 04:21 am
Yeah... and I thought the US was not supposed to encourage political assassinations either...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 02:37 pm
My brother- in-law, who is somewhere to the right of Mussolini, also dissaproves of this action, but for a different reason. he feels that the US should begin holdiong hostages and executing them until Hussein gives up. How does one argue with this sort of willful nastiness? Sad
PS: He votes. Sad Sad
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 04:33 am
And what about the corpses of the sons of Saddam? Are they released yet? What is the US army going to do with them?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 07:52 pm
I'm sure they will look just stunning mounted and hanging over the shrubster's fireplace. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies