Law on *looking at* sex toys etc.

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 10:15 am
I got thrown out of a sex shop the other day; Ann Summers. I contacted their headoffice and complained and they said we were fine looking at lubes/lingerie, but we weren't allowed to LOOK AT the vibrators and DVDs. So the stupid girl in the shop was wrong, but still... Since when has it been illegal to LOOK at something?

You can look at 18 rated DVDs in a DVD shop, even ones full of sexual content, but you just get IDed when you try to buy them.. Why are you not allowed to look at things such as this?

I'm 17, age of consent in the UK is 16, yet I'm not allowed to look at/buy dildos. I'm allowed to say "Yeah, sure, put your penis inside me with the risk I could getting pregnant.." but I'm not allowed to even LOOK at something which resembles a penis minus the risk of pregnancy and STDs.. I don't get it!

I also just discovered the UK review site I'm a member of, for sex toys etc, you have to be 18 to be a member! (damn that small print) What the heck is the point?! I could consent to sex over a year ago, but I can't buy this other stuff... Jeez, it makes me angry!!!!

Anyway, yeah, so why is this? Does anyone know? And does anyone know the actual law that prevents under 18s from looking at products??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,033 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Chatter

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 10:42 am
That's rediculous!! You might as well get thrown out of Walmart for looking at undies. Sorry I can't tell you why. Maybe someone else has an idea, but it seems to me that someone in that store is uncomfortable with her job, and is taking it out on you.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 11:26 am
It is isn't it.. Thing is, head office told me that it is "Against the law to let under 18s look at the vibrators and DVDs" which just seems plain stupid.

If under 18s were allowed to purchase dildos/vibes etc, that could reduce the amount of underage sexual activity/pregnancies/STDs... You could experiment with sex toys instead of penises...
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 08:57 am
i have the answer. it is "humans like to enforce stupid laws because they cant think for themselves"

gg.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 09:06 am
I hear ya, HR. Some laws are just plain stupid!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 12:00 pm
honey_rose_cr wrote:
If under 18s were allowed to purchase dildos/vibes etc, that could reduce the amount of underage sexual activity/pregnancies/STDs... You could experiment with sex toys instead of penises...

Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 12:23 pm
If the dildos were out with the lingerie, it's the shops violation, not yours, IMO.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:35 pm
You could just shop online....
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:46 pm
Damn, I had no idea things were that restrictive in the free world. And I thought I had problems.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:50 pm
Re: Law on *looking at* sex toys etc.
honey_rose_cr wrote:
I got thrown out of a sex shop the other day; Ann Summers. I contacted their headoffice and complained and they said we were fine looking at lubes/lingerie, but we weren't allowed to LOOK AT the vibrators and DVDs. So the stupid girl in the shop was wrong, but still... Since when has it been illegal to LOOK at something?

It's crazy, isn't it! I mean, I was just looking through the windows at a few neighbors's houses and the next thing ya know, the cops show up with their flashing lights and K-9 patrols.

It can't be illegal just to look right? Razz
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 10:52 am
Laughing
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 02:56 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
honey_rose_cr wrote:

Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Why thank you, that'll be $25 please...per letter. Come on my words are valuable!!! :wink:

Bella Dea wrote:
If the dildos were out with the lingerie, it's the shops violation, not yours, IMO.

Well the DVDs were rather nearby, but we weren't looking at them. This particular branch isn't very well set out if you ask me.. <_<

DrewDad wrote:
You could just shop online....

Oh I do shop online...quite frequently... I spend far too much aswell.

But sometimes it's nice to be able to see and feel the things you're buying, you know what I mean? ^_^

fishin wrote:
honey_rose_cr wrote:

It's crazy, isn't it! I mean, I was just looking through the windows at a few neighbors's houses and the next thing ya know, the cops show up with their flashing lights and K-9 patrols.

It can't be illegal just to look right? Razz

Twisted Evil Not quite the type of looking I had in mind!
0 Replies

ricksang

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 09:04 am
I know this post is a few days old, but I would like to comment. In Mississippi It is illegal to sell dildos in a sex shop!!! You have to call them massagers to you sell them. I "THINK" they can't look like male parts either. But, the shops have same sex dvds. It is a very stupid and confusing law. My fiance' told me they passed the law because Mississippi was trying to deter homosexual behavior. Rolling Eyes Shops around here get raided all the time. People wonder why I hate this uptight, 17th century thinking state. I wonder if other states have this law?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 11:33 am
I've never heard of any crazy law like that one, but it doesn't surprise me.

Some laws should be against the law Laughing
0 Replies

ricksang

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 02:33 pm
Laughing
0 Replies