Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 02:22 pm
Whether you are spiritually inclined or not. Whether you have musical talent or not, you no doubt have considered the word soul.

Is the soul a non material manifestation of our personality, immortal and somehow transcendent. or is it simply our person which lives and dies as we do?

Other than its musical connotations, what do you say?

Well, if you really must talk music, I guess its OK.

But, for the purpose of this discussion, homonymphobia is encouraged.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,674 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 02:29 pm
Music is the portal to the soul. It does not even have to be definitively pitched in the sense of scalic / chordal / harmonic forms as it can be in a the rhythmic context only. Of course to the extent that rhythmic music must have a pitch content.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 02:37 pm
The brevity of soul is wit.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 02:38 pm
The soul in this case being simply being the ability to more directly address emotional triggers / responses.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 02:40 pm
Define soul:

A term used to refer to the music and food popular among Americans of African ancestry, especially those from the Southern United States, and particularly the lower valley of the Mississippi River.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 03:07 pm
James Jamerson is god.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 03:12 pm
Re: Define soul
neologist wrote:
.... you no doubt have considered the word soul.

Is the soul a non material manifestation of our personality, immortal and somehow transcendent. or is it simply our person which lives and dies as we do?

Is the personality material?

(for the sake of reference, I am basing this on

Material [/u]

1 a (1): relating to, derived from, or consisting of matter; especially : physical<the material world>

from http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/material )
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 04:46 pm
The soul is individualized consciousness.

Also, James Brown was the Godfather of Soul.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 06:43 pm
This is going well
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 09:27 pm
Sugar plum fairy came and hit the streets
Looking for soul food and a place to eat

Lou Reed - Walk On The Wild Side
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 12:38 pm
neologist wrote:
This is going well

C'mon Neo.

I did try to address your question (at least on my second try I did). Laughing

OK, let's try again.

Suppose 'the soul' and 'the personality' are both the same thing.

They are the real you, the inner person.

They are non-material (i.e. not composed of matter), yet others only are aware of the existence of your personality when it is expressed through a physical body (i.e. talking, taking an action of some kind)

If one were to lose the ability to speak and the ability to move, he/she would still have a personality (or soul), it's just that it would be severely limited or prevented from any expression that was visible or observable by others.

Thus in sleep, or in unconsciousness, or even after the death of the body, the personality (soul) does not necessarily cease, though others may not be able to see any manifestation of it.

What do you think about that?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 01:03 pm
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:
This is going well

C'mon Neo.

I did try to address your question (at least on my second try I did). Laughing

OK, let's try again.

Suppose 'the soul' and 'the personality' are both the same thing.

They are the real you, the inner person.

They are non-material (i.e. not composed of matter), yet others only are aware of the existence of your personality when it is expressed through a physical body (i.e. talking, taking an action of some kind)

If one were to lose the ability to speak and the ability to move, he/she would still have a personality (or soul), it's just that it would be severely limited or prevented from any expression that was visible or observable by others.

Thus in sleep, or in unconsciousness, or even after the death of the body, the personality (soul) does not necessarily cease, though others may not be able to see any manifestation of it.

What do you think about that?
People who have died may be preserved in God's memory to live again in the resurrection. But when a person dies, ". . . In that day his thoughts do perish. . ." (Psalm 146:4)

That ain't so bad really, To a person who has died, the resurrection will be as if waking from a nap.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 03:25 pm
These folks who have died seem to have thoughts:

Rev 6:9When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained. 10They called out in a loud voice, "How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?"

As do these:

Rev 5:8b twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. 9And they sang a new song:
"You are worthy to take the scroll
and to open its seals,
because you were slain,
and with your blood you purchased men for God

And these as well:

Matt 17:3Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.

And also these:

Luke 16:22"The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In hell,[c] where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'

25"But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony.

And these:

Heb 12:1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 03:33 pm
real life wrote:
These folks who have died seem to have thoughts:

Rev 6:9When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained. 10They called out in a loud voice, "How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?"

As do these:

Rev 5:8b twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. 9And they sang a new song:
"You are worthy to take the scroll
and to open its seals,
because you were slain,
and with your blood you purchased men for God

And these as well:

Matt 17:3Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.

And also these:

Luke 16:22"The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In hell,[c] where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'

25"But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony.

And these:

Heb 12:1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses
I did not say some from the earth would not be taken to heaven to rule as kings and priests (Revelation 5:10). But they must be ruling over something or someone, no?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 03:34 pm
But remember the parable of the rich man and Lazarus is a parable.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 04:41 pm
neologist wrote:

Other than your opinion, what do you show to support this statement?

Usually Jesus' parables are noted as 'and He spoke this parable to them.....' or something is clearly stated as being COMPARED to something else in a symbolic manner.

The lesson of the rich man and Lazarus is not identified as a parable in either of these ways as the other parables clearly are.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 04:54 pm
Francis Crick has already answered the question:

http://www.answers.com/topic/the-astonishing-hypothesis
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 05:40 pm
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:

Other than your opinion, what do you show to support this statement?

Usually Jesus' parables are noted as 'and He spoke this parable to them.....' or something is clearly stated as being COMPARED to something else in a symbolic manner.

The lesson of the rich man and Lazarus is not identified as a parable in either of these ways as the other parables clearly are.
And you think that Lazarus could have literally cooled the rich man's tongue with a single drop of water?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 05:42 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Francis Crick has already answered the question:

http://www.answers.com/topic/the-astonishing-hypothesis
It seems Crick would say that when you are dead you are dead. I'm sure Solomon would have agreed with him.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 08:18 pm
The Bible doesnt say what he could have done It simply records what he said and gives no indication that this is a parable

If you think it is a parable then it is a completely misleading one,if your doctrine is correct.
0 Replies