Swarm Theory & Group Psychology

coberst

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 03:43 am

Perhaps human groups cannot develop in a similar manner as does swarm intelligence but the existence of such successful ways of handling complex problems indicates that some critical thinking regarding human group behavior is certainly in order.

Questions for discussion:

Do you think it is possible for humans to significantly improve performance within a group?

Do you think that we can find a way to make group behavior to be smarter?

Sources for ideas and quotes in this OP come from "Swarm Theory"--an article in the July 2007 edition of "National Geographic" and from "Group Psychology and the Analysis of the Ego" by Freud.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 528 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Chatter

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 01:08 pm
Unless the individuals in the group become smarter, it is unlikey the group as a whole will become smarter. Also we must consider the intelligence of the goal. "Herd mentality" can become disastrous if the goal is frivolous.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 09:59 am
0 Replies

Chatter

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 10:02 am
VERY well stated coberst. I applaud Very Happy
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 02:49 pm
Chatter wrote:
VERY well stated coberst. I applaud Very Happy

Thank you. Such a positive attitude is a rare thing on these forums.
0 Replies

Chatter

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 04:27 pm
A positive attitude seems to be rare everywhere. Life is too short for pessimism.

Swarm mentality is a very interesting concept. We seem to be less and less a society of individualism. Whether in grade school or in the work place, it seems almost frightening to step out and do something or say something no one has done or said before. Free thinking (though the catch phrase of the day) seems to be frowned upon. Unless you run with the herd you are an outcast.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 01:35 am
Ideologies are the fundamental beliefs of a group and its members.Social discourse plays an essential role in why we adopt ideology, what we know about it and how ideology becomes the most important sociocentric influence in our life. Discourse plays a fundamental role in the nature of ideology and thus discourse is an important consideration in the study of the nature of ideology.
0 Replies

Chatter

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 09:46 am
Quote:

"...without any consideration..." is important to point out. This has been a pet peeve of mine since I was very young. I guess I was always taught to question everything before internalizing as truth. Dad often played devil's advocate with me to encourage me to think and defend my opinions. What would you say to the notion that perhaps swarm mentality is born of each person's desire to be part of something bigger and simply the desire to have a cause worth the effort. I could put this much more eloquently but have not had enough coffee yet this morning.

In the past (regardless of how you may feel about it) the church was an integral part of any community and family. To some degree each individual felt a part of the church community. Although there were still vigilante groups and lynch mobs I would submit that there were less pointless band wagons and apple boxes. This could be also because living was more difficult then and one was pre-occupied with day-to-day sustenance, where as now we have more frivolous time.
0 Replies