Can anyone identify these images?

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 10:01 pm
Belt buckles made by a company now out of business.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/8/8/7/9/5/webimg/52256937_o.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/8/8/7/9/5/webimg/30409209_o.jpg

I'd like to know more about them if anyone can help.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,808 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 10:17 pm
They look very much like Mayan images. In particular, the second one has designs which i am certain are Mayan. When i was in grammar school, i did a report on the Mayans, and in particular their number system. As is the case with the Balinese, the Mayans assumed that the starts were suns which were very, very far away, and estimated the distance in the equivalent of millions of miles (both the people of the Yucatan and of Bali, like the Greeks, assumed the sun was much smaller than it is, and that we are much closer).

Like the Balinese (and unlike the Greeks), the Mayans had a special system of numerical symbols, and calculated truly huge numbers, sometimes in the billions, and devised calendars to determine the days of week thousands of years in the past, and thousands of years into the future.

The second buckle contains many number symbols (the bars, dots, and bars with dots above the bar). I did that report 40 years ago or more, so i can no longer tell you what those numbers are. I suspect, but cannot say for certain, that some if not all of those number symbols are also the symbols for days of the week (i believe they used a five day "week"--but really, it's been too many years ago for me to recall with any certainty).

Therefore, i suggest that you search on line for the Mayan system of mathematics and numerical notation.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 10:25 pm
Here ya go, a quick image search yielded this (criterion: Mayan numbers):

http://www.mathdaily.com/lessons/upload/thumb/e/e3/200px-Mexico.MayaNumeralTable.01.png

I can't say if any of those are also the symbols for the days of the week. You're on your own from here on out.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 01:10 am
Thanks, Set. I have several of each in inventory obtained from a now defunct manufacturer and have been wondering what to say about them. I had guessed either Mayan or Aztec. All of my Googling for Mayan and Aztec art have not added as much as you have with your number info.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 01:56 am
Belt buckle designs may not repay too much trouble spent in trying to decypher them. I am thinking particularly of the "English" slogans which are printed on clothing and other assorted merchandise from Japan and elsewhere in the East, which are often meaningless random phrases.

Maybe your buckle designs are like that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 07:18 am
Well, the numbers repeated in that one buckle are "0, 3, 5, 8, 9" repeated. Of course, we can't know what number is the "first" number in the sequence--but they are repeated. I also don't know if any of them are also the words for the days of the week.

All in all, McT's point about the insignificance of symbols in commercial uses by people for whom the language is a mystery, is probably the most significant observation.

All your base are belong to us.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 02:00 pm
I found a PDF book with a million times more info than I could handle:
http://www.mesoweb.com/resources/handbook/WH2004.pdf

Also an article in Wikipedia.

Still no ID for either of the central figures, though.
0 Replies