La Mome / La Vie En Rose

stuh505

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 02:32 pm
Although I already have the movie in my possession, I will see this movie tonight for the first time at the theater on the recommendation of a friend -- who will not allow me to watch it on anything other than the big screen first! She has spoken so highly of it that I cannot wait to see it...so I'll let you know what I think later.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 669 • Replies: 2
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 07:17 pm
Ok...now it's finally time for my long belated review. My original plans were interrupted by a theater mixup, and a bad set of directions to the correct theater (I ended up seeing Live Free or Die Hard instead, which was definitely a step up in action from previous Die Hard movies...very exciting! My only gripes were that all characters were possessed with superhuman survival abilities. I mean, you'd think that crushing an Asian girl between a steel wall and a Ford F150 going 60 miles per hour would at least know the wind out of her...)

Anyway, anyway...I caught La Vie En Rose in a small independent theater (they were only playing one other movie), it was almost empty, all the occupants were over 50 -- a nice atmosphere to begin with. The opening scene was killer, very dramatic singing. Most of the singing is the original voice of Edith Piaf, so it's pretty good. I think she was a pretty good singer although sometimes I would notice a note that seemed a little bit off or something, but whatever, the singing was the best part of the movie. The acting is very good, she really looks like an old woman. The bad part is that the editing and storyline is pretty terrible. Overall, still a good movie, but not quite as good as I was expecting.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 07:21 pm
Yeh, that is one I want to see. I've been thrilled by her voice, a voice of time and place.

A friend some time ago pressed on me a disc by Patricia Kass doing Piaf, and after one listen I tossed it. Well, ok, gave it to St. Vincent's, a thrift shop down the street. Someone here, I think perhaps Francis, remarked that Kass was good except for that disc.
0 Replies