compare philosophy to religion

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 06:16 am
hi i just stumbled onto ur sight looking for riddles and when i signed up i saw the philosophy bit, i need to compare plato's beleifs to the beleifs of christians and im finding it all rether difficult, i would really appreciate it if someone would help me out Razz
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,486 • Replies: 34
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 07:15 am
First off, welcome. Second, "Plato's beliefs" is pretty general, as is "the beliefs of Christians". After all, aren't Catholics and Lutherans different? And Plato's own beliefs evolved over time (like many people's do).

Do you have a particular dialogue in mind? That will be a good starting point.
0 Replies

kerfuffle

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 07:25 am
lol im studying philosophy, but i havnt yet learnt the word- Lutherans-

i was thinking for a dialogue

christians beliefs are based on the bible (im not sure if that is right)
where as philosophers such as plato.....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 07:39 am
It sounds to me like you don't have a lot of information at your fingertips. Yes, Christian beliefs are based on the bible, but they are also based upon interpretations of it.

So, which Platonic dialogue do you want to concentrate on?
0 Replies

kerfuffle

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 07:58 am
"So, which Platonic dialogue do you want to concentrate on?"

im not sure... and no i dont have alot of information.... i tried talking to the christians but the kept refering me to an information page that was really no help Razz

i have never done anything like this b4 so im not sure even how to go about it...

sorry if im bein a pain in the butt.....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 08:04 am
Here is a good primer on Plato, probably a good place to start:

http://plato.evansville.edu/intro.htm
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 08:07 am
This link may also help:

http://www.anselm.edu/homepage/dbanach/5prace2.htm
0 Replies

kerfuffle

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 08:14 am
jeepers, thanks guys for your help Very Happy i dont mind if you keep it comin!!!!

no seriously thanks Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 08:20 am
As for religion, asking some Christian friends isn't a good research technique. You'll need to look at a site. Try something like this (I cannot vouch for its quality): Christianity Explained
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 08:25 am
Kerfuffle

Philosophy is an interesting subject and you are to be commended for pursuing it. I'm glad you were able to get useful information on the subject from members.

I don't mean to be cruel or unnecessarily judgmental -- but from what I see, it certainly should not be your primary concern right now.

You will get much further in this world if you are able to write and articulate ideas lucidly with a degree of ability in grammar, spelling, and syntax -- than with a thorough understanding of the Greek philosophers.

Get my drift?
0 Replies

kerfuffle

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 08:30 am
no offence taken :0)

i am studying philosopy as part of my year 12, so at the moment its a huge priority Smile

i chat alot so i tend to take short cuts with my spelling and grammar, its quicker.....

i dont think i will ever give up studying philosophy tho... its to addictive Very Happy
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 08:34 am
Philosophy is interesting -- and I hope you do continue to study it.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 10:03 pm
Kerfuffle,

Click on this. It's good for openers

http://www.kofc.org/faith/catechism/catechism.cfm

You could spend years here if you are interested.

Happy hunting, Mech
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 10:32 pm
kerf, First of all WELCOME to A2K. Just a word of caution as you pursue your studies in Philosophy. It's very difficult to understand what you're reading at the very beginning, and you'll find yourself reading the same passage over and over. Most of us have gone through that same process, but it eventually begins to make sense. Don't give up; the effort is well worth the benefits, and good luck. c.i.
0 Replies

kerfuffle

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 01:45 am
thank you aka for your help and cicerone for your welcome and encouragement.

i compleatly agree lol, i find i read it like 4 or 5 times! but i realised if i write a summery as im reading, its easier to understand!!

and i wont give up :0)

thanks guys Very Happy
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 08:49 am
It is really a rather interesting question. A logical argument could be put forth that philosophy and religion share some hefty similarities. They both put forth a belief system with which to interpret and structure our collective and individual realities. And they both have components of prescribed and proscribed behavior.

Welcome to the site.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 09:31 am
Kerfuffle, an interesting take for you would be to study "St." Paul (Saul of Tarsus), who is largely responsible for the the Greek philosophical nature of Christianity. Additionally, much of the ritual symbolism of early Christianity partook of the Zoarastrian cult of Mithras, which was the most popular cult among the Senatorial class, and those who would imitate them. Early Christian evangelists, who were not imbued with the severe middle-eastern asceticism which characterized the Syriac and Nestorians, realized that to "sell" their belief in a religiously pluralistic society (which the Roman Empire always had been), they would need popular appeal. After Christianity was accepted within the empire, but before it was made the state religion, many of the Mithraic traits were grafted on to the "message" of the Rabbi Yeshua, who has become known as Jesus (if, in fact, he ever existed). The Greek church, established by Paul, however, took over church hierarchy. The direct descendants of the Greek "wing" are the Orthodox Churchs--Greek and Russian. Catholicism and all of the Protestant sects are descended from the blend of the Mithraic-influenced Christianity of Rome and the Greek church devised by Paul. The Pauline church took its greatest influence from Aristotle, however, and not from Plato. I don't know why you're interested in that old proto-Nazi bag of wind anyway, he had little useful to say, and his value to philosophy (in my never humble opinion) lies in having preserved the dialogues with Isocrates, not in any "original" ideas (if he ever had any).
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 08:35 pm
Kerf, Frank has a point.
Philosophy is much about making murky and obscure thoughts clear to both yourself and your audience.
Since humans think and transfer ideas by the use of symbols it's quite important to be able to think and write clearly. Quite often it's necessary to define definitions in the context of the conversation.

For instance the statement "God exists" requires first a definition of God.
Another word, "beginning" also often requires a definition.
Even "exists" may require further defining
Look at the thread titled "Universe and Space" in the index for more examples.

Don't neglect modern philosophers either.
Bertrand Russell and Paul Davies are fairly good to start with. Some of Issac Asimovs (Empire Series) are also philosophical in tone.
Happy hunting, M
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 10:31 pm
I know socrates and plato both believed in one god. And many of the ideals of justice that existed in the dialogues of plato, highly influenced to book of leviticus.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 12:09 am
i could point out that "philosophy" being litterally "love of knowledge" is based upon the search for truth; while religion is preoccupied with ignoring truth. But i won't!

seriously i would suggest, if you pursue philosophy, that you read some of Pere Taillard De Chardin (a jesuit theologian)'s work; he 1 of the few people, i know of, who can create an (understandable) bridge between the two disciplines.
0 Replies