• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 841 • Replies: 4
No top replies

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 12:13 am
bookmarking

(vikorr, I was wondering where you'd gotten too! Nice to see you back! Very Happy )
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 08:43 pm
Hi Msgola

Yes, still around. I usually only comment if a topic is of particular interest to me Smile

Australian History, when I come across, is something I always find interesting, and it constantly amazes me that so little of it is tought at school, especially of people who are significant to the character of Australia.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 08:56 pm
American schools teach almost nothing about Australia. We are taught it was a penal colony for England, Captain Cook is mentioned at some point and we are told some interesting animals roam the continent, but that's about it.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:08 pm
Oh yes, I forgot one interesting little fact about Monash. Near the end of his life, he stated that perhaps the highlight of his life occurred when he was a boy, meeting one Ned Kelly.

Going by that, it seems Kelly's fame isn't something that was just a beat up of history.

Monash's father owned a small business in Jerilderie (where Ned Kelly held up a bank). Kelly brought some horses to sell to Monash's father. It seems those of german origin were known not to inspect the horses they bought too closely.
0 Replies