Schools stumble over sex education

au1929

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 05:19 pm
NEW YORK – In some classrooms, sex education means a dark message about the frightening potential consequences of sex outside marriage. Yet in others, a class of the same title involves graphic, practical information about contraceptives, presented with the casual expectation that these are things every teen needs to know.

When it comes to deciding what should be taught about the subject in school, it is hard to find an inch of common ground in what has become a highly polarized battleground.
"[Sex education] has become an ideological war, full of very fuzzy thinking," says Douglas Besharov, the Jacobs Scholar at the American Enterprise Institute in Washington. "I blame this whole thing on the adults - on the left and the right - who have confused this mightily."
On the one side of the divide are proponents of "abstinence-only" programs. These programs teach that sex outside of marriage, at any age, is wrong. Because advocates of this approach are concerned about presenting a mixed message, most insist that these classes may not include any information about contraceptives.
On the other side are those who favor what is called "comprehensive" sex education. This approach may include teaching students that abstinence outside marriage is either one option or perhaps even the best course, but this message is followed up with practical information about sex. Generally this focuses on how contraceptives work, where to get them, and why they are important.
What do you think should be taught?? Total abstinence or comprehensive sex education

http://csmonitor.com/2003/0722/p13s01-lepr.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 13,801 • Replies: 131
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 05:31 pm
In my opinion, put strong emphasis on abstinance, but give them the practical info needed for the ones who aren't going to listen.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 05:32 pm
Since young people have sex, whether or not any of us approve, I think we have a responsibility to 1) explain the consequences - physical and emotional; and 2) provide an opportunity for these young people to learn ways to manage those physical and emotional consequences.

I'd prefer it if parents would do this for their children. However, hundreds of years of religious documents record 'father alleged to be', at least in part as a result of a gap in education. So, since we can't count on parents to do it, I think the larger community - in this case, the education system - has a responsibility to all of us to provide comprehensive sex education.

I think the comment that the phrase 'casual expectation' is being used inappropriately, perhaps to 'stir things up'. I attended sex education classes between 30 and 40 years ago. I also taught some sex ed classes in rehabilitation settings about 20 years ago. I know young people who have recently attended sex ed classes. In none of those circumstances, was there anything casual about it. It was taken seriously by the instructors and the students.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 06:11 pm
Good heavens - comprehensive education and lots of info about safer sex! We want sick and pregnant kids? Just to make some religious point?

Little smeggers use the information they are given about contraceptives and safe sex seldom enough, anyway, at least at first - heaven forbid they should have less!

I don't know how many sexually active kids I see who still believe they cannot get HIV from heterosexual sex, that pulling out prevents pregnancy, and who are too unassertive to insist the fella use condoms. Ignorance isn't stopping them from doing stuff, though.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 06:35 pm
Our kids got sex education when they were in junior high. Things have changed dramatically since then, but I think the basics are still relavant information that needs to be shared with youngsters - whether they are active or not. c.i.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 11:46 am
I don't thing either one should be taught in school. The teaching of sex education is a parents job and only a parents job! I know I will get many arguements about how some parents are not doing that, but I stand my ground in saying that it's their children and their choice one way or another and the schools have no right what so ever to even go there.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 11:50 am
I've worked for nearly ten years as a sexual pedagogic both in schools and youth centers.

We have a rather different understanding about sexual education here in Europe, it seems. (Even the 'best' au describes was done here in biology lessons ages back - 39, to be correct, when I learnt such at school.)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 12:03 pm
Montana, If they are not taught in school, many children will remain ignorant. Not a good thing considering all the negative consequences. Many parents will not talk about sex to their children. c.i.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 12:26 pm
CI
I understand what you're saying and have gotten that arguement over and over again, but that is still a parents choice and no one has the right to take that away from them. I for one have never had a problem teaching my son sex education and I didn't appreciate the schools taking it upon themselves to teach him as well. I was beside myself to learn what they are actually teaching the kids in school these days at a very young age without any consent at all from the parents. Teaching your children sex education may be something most of us feel is every parents duty, but it's their choice and no one has the right to violate their right to make that choice. I pulled my son out of school and decided to home school him 3 years ago because I was tired of my rights being violated and being told how to raise my son. I didn't like what was going on in the schools and I am very happy with the results so far. My son just turned 16 and I'm thrilled to report that he doesn't drink, do drugs, or have sex as of yet :-) My son also knows what to do when the times comes when he becomes sexually active. Parents need to be able to raise their children the way they see fit and as long as they are not abusing them, no one should have the right to make their choices for them.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 01:00 pm
Montana, I know you had a really horrible time with the school system.

Do you think schools should exist, at all? If so, what should and shouldn't they teach? Where is the line?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 01:12 pm
Sozobe
Of course schools should exist! Schools were created to get children ready for the work place where they need the skills required to hold their own, such as math, history, science, english, reading, writing, and today since the world has become much more technical the students are taught computer skills, mechanics, etc...

In my opinion, the line is crossed when they step into moral and personal issues.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 01:14 pm
OK. I guess I'm asking why sex education is moral or personal? I see it as information, just like photosynthesis or geometry. Only information that is even more likely to have an immediate bearing on the student's life.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 01:15 pm
Shouldn't our schools teach ethics? c.i.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 01:29 pm
Well, sexual education per se really has nothing to do with morality and/or personal issues.

If you consider, however, any natural science as a matter of "personal morality", there's a lot to be excluded (as done in the middle ages).
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 01:34 pm
sozobe wrote:
OK. I guess I'm asking why sex education is moral or personal? I see it as information, just like photosynthesis or geometry. Only information that is even more likely to have an immediate bearing on the student's life.

There are many things that have an immediate bearing in a students life, but some things are for the parents to teach. If parents were not meant to teach their children, then what are we here for? When I was in school we had a class called health that taught about reproduction and body functions, etc... which I have no problem with, but today it's totally different and to me they are way out of line. My son at a very young age use to come home from school and tell me stuff about what they were teaching him about sex and I was shocked to say the least. Information is good in school, but not when it gets personal.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 01:35 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Shouldn't our schools teach ethics? c.i.

Yes, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 01:38 pm
Where? Who's going to determine where that line is? c.i.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 01:40 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, sexual education per se really has nothing to do with morality and/or personal issues.

If you consider, however, any natural science as a matter of "personal morality", there's a lot to be excluded (as done in the middle ages).

Walter
I'm not talking about simple body function and reproduction. I'm talking about them teaching our kids how to use a condom, exploring their sexuality, etc... There is a line that's crossed where it does get personal, which is what I have a problem with.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 01:49 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Where? Who's going to determine where that line is? c.i.

I just explained where I think the line is. I certainly don't think it should be their choice.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 01:56 pm
Montana wrote:
I'm talking about them teaching our kids how to use a condom, exploring their sexuality, etc... There is a line that's crossed where it does get personal, which is what I have a problem with.

Exactly - and since I taught this personally, especially here in a very catholic, conservatibe region, I know, what I'm and you are talking about.
0 Replies