PTSD, repression, and "whistling past the graveyard"

coberst

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 05:37 am
Shut-upness is what we today call repression. Kierkegaard recognized a "lofty shut-upness" and a "mistaken shut-upness". It is important that a child be reared in a lofty shut-upness, i.e. reserve, because it represents an ego-controlled and self-confident perception of the world.

Mistaken shut-upness, however, results "in too much blockage, too much anxiety, too much effort to face up to experience by an organism that has been overburdened and weakened in its own controls…more automatic repression by an essentially closed personality". Good is openness to new possibilities and evil is closed to such possibility.

Shut-upness is called, by Kierkegaard, "the lie of character". "It is easy to see that shut-upness eo ipso signifies a lie, or, if you prefer, untruth. But untruth is precisely unfreedom…the elasticity of freedom is consumed in the service of close reserve…Close reserve was the effect of the negating retrenchment of the ego in the individuality."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 435 • Replies: 6
No top replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 08:17 am
I have an awesome vocabulary, but i still dont know exactly what it means.

Is he saying that we repress our fears constantly? And in certain situations we cant repress our fears anymore?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 08:45 am
OGIONIK wrote:

Is he saying that we repress our fears constantly? And in certain situations we cant repress our fears anymore?

Yes, you are on the mark. Our standard mode of operation is to repress our anxieties and when that repression fails we fall into very difficult problems.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 09:01 am
hey coberst what are some books you would recomend? you gave me some before but i didnt write them down.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 10:31 am
OGIONIK wrote:
hey coberst what are some books you would recomend? you gave me some before but i didnt write them down.

I recommend
The Death and Rebirth of Meaning--Ira Progoff
The Denial of Death--Ernest Becker
The Birth and Death of Meaning--Ernest Becker
Philosophy in the Flesh--Lakoff and Johnson
0 Replies

eclectic

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 12:24 pm
coberst wrote:
OGIONIK wrote:

Yes, you are on the mark. Our standard mode of operation is to repress our anxieties and when that repression fails we fall into very difficult problems.

I don't think everyone, always, represses anxiety, nor do I get that from this portion of your text:

Quote:

As I read this, the author is saying a person becomes locked into "mistaken shut-upness" underconditions of something beyond what this particular person might consider normal. Some people are able to look anxiety in the eye and say, "So what?" And many children I have observed are completely nonplussed by situations which might cause an adult anxiety (e.g., going down an icy ski-slope at top speed, petting a large snake).

The person who becomes "inauthentic," according to the above quote becomes uncritical in that he readily accepts what is told him my someone in authority, but I think such a person is apt to be extremely critical (to the point of great agitation) when confronted with opinions which differ from his own.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 02:47 pm
eclectic

I agree, it is a matter of degree. Those who find a middle ground are able to function in what we might consider to be 'normal'.
0 Replies