Was God's work really done when he rested on the 7th day?

real life

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 03:00 pm
Setanta wrote:
If the god were omnipotent, why would she even want to rest--all "physical" states would be equal to her.

The 'rest' referred to does not imply that it was a benefit to God to do so.

It simply says He stopped what He had previously been doing.

He was creating. Then He finished.

It says nothing of a physical benefit, either explicit or implied.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 03:09 pm
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
If the god were omnipotent, why would she even want to rest--all "physical" states would be equal to her.

Oh noooooo, it wouldn't mean he 'rested' not that, no it means something totally different, let's see, what could it mean....

Multiple Bibles wrote:

Genesis 2:2 Parallel Translations
NASB: By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. (NASB ©1995)
GWT: By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing. On the seventh day he stopped the work he had been doing.(GOD'S WORD®)
KJV: And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
ASV: And on the seventh day God finished his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
BBE: And on the seventh day God came to the end of all his work; and on the seventh day he took his rest from all the work which he had done.
DBY: And God had finished on the seventh day his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
ERV: And on the seventh day God finished his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
JPS: And on the seventh day God finished His work which He had made; and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had made.
WBS: And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
WEB: On the seventh day God finished his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
YLT: and God completeth by the seventh day His work which He hath made, and ceaseth by the seventh day from all His work which He hath made.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 03:19 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Oh noooooo, it wouldn't mean he 'rested' not that, no it means something totally different, let's see, what could it mean....

Multiple Bibles wrote:

Genesis 2:2 Parallel Translations
NASB: By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. (NASB ©1995)
GWT: By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing. On the seventh day he stopped the work he had been doing.(GOD'S WORD®)
KJV: And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
ASV: And on the seventh day God finished his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
BBE: And on the seventh day God came to the end of all his work; and on the seventh day he took his rest from all the work which he had done.
DBY: And God had finished on the seventh day his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
ERV: And on the seventh day God finished his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
JPS: And on the seventh day God finished His work which He had made; and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had made.
WBS: And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
WEB: On the seventh day God finished his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
YLT: and God completeth by the seventh day His work which He hath made, and ceaseth by the seventh day from all His work which He hath made.

The Hebrew word is shabath, which in various contexts means to cease or put an end to or to end.

see http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H07673&Version=kjv

In each verse referenced, the word numbered 07673 in red is the same word.

So what's yer point, ros?

Do you think the text implies that God 'needed' to rest, or that He 'benefited' from a time of rest?

And if so, show how this is implied.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 03:56 pm
real life wrote:
The Hebrew word is shabath, which in various contexts means to cease or put an end to or to end.

see http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H07673&Version=kjv

In each verse referenced, the word numbered 07673 in red is the same word.

So what's yer point, ros?

Do you think the text implies that God 'needed' to rest, or that He 'benefited' from a time of rest?

And if so, show how this is implied.

He is just going by what the Bible says.

Exd 31:17 It [is] a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

Check out your Strongs Concordance for "refreshed" (Niphal) to take breath, refresh oneself #5314
http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H05314&Version=kjv
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 06:00 pm
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:

None of what you are saing is in the text of Genesis. As all of my experience of you at this site gives me no reason to assume that you read and comprehend English any better than i do, and also give me reason to believe that you are a hard-headed devotee to your preferred creed--i see no reason to take your word for any of it.

The irony, however, is apparently lost on you that i said i was amused by the anthropomorphic treatment of the god--and you respond by speaking of the god in precisely those anthropomorphic terms.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 06:27 pm
Setanta wrote:
Perhaps, but there is no textual basis for that assumption. I am amused by the concept because it is yet another example of anthropomorphizing the god.
Whatever the reason for God's rest, how would he explain cessation of creative activity to humans who have an abundant understanding of 'to rest', but perhaps no understanding of what the period since man's creation means to God.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 06:34 pm
Your question assumes that the god explains things to people. I have no reason to assume anything other than that people cobbled these stories together a very long time ago. That accounts for the anthropomorphizing, and it accounts for the contradictions, omissions and the just plain hilarious assertions. You would do well to keep in mind that for people such as me, the only point in such a discussion is to investigate how implausible the story is, which serves to beggar the contention that the human authors of these fairy tales were "divinely inspired."
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 06:51 pm
Setanta wrote:
Your question assumes that the god explains things to people. . .
True.

If there is a God, I think it would be a kindness for him to do so.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 10:18 pm
neologist wrote:
Whatever the reason for God's rest, how would he explain cessation of creative activity to humans who have an abundant understanding of 'to rest', but perhaps no understanding of what the period since man's creation means to God.

It's very convenient to imply that God "can't" explain certain things to us mortals, but it flies in the face of oft cited omniscient powers of God, and of divine biblical perfection. You can't have it both ways.

Besides the fact that it's just silly.

Let the rationalizations continue...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 03:04 am
As Eddie Izzard said

Quote:
I think on the seventh day, God was running around, going, "Oh, my God! What haven't I…? Rwanda! I better create Rwanda! Sorry, haven't quite done that… The Tower of Pisa! Oh, it's leaning… Oh, shi… done! Toilets in French camping sites… there we go. English football hooligans… there we go, whatever that is… Mrs. Thatcher's heart… there we go… oh, f**k that! I know, I'll put a stone in, that'll work! There we go…"
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 08:08 am
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:

It's very convenient to imply that God "can't" explain certain things to us mortals, but it flies in the face of oft cited omniscient powers of God, and of divine biblical perfection. You can't have it both ways.

Where was it said that God "can't explain . . . ?"
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 09:27 am
neologist wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:

Where was it said that God "can't explain . . . ?"

It's quoted above. But I'll slice it out for you below... your comment seems to imply that God would have some measure of difficulty in explaining 'his' concept of 'rest' to mortals who have a mortal concept of rest.

neologist wrote:
...how would he explain cessation of creative activity to humans...

I wouldn't think an omniscient being would have difficulty explaining anything. Ever.
0 Replies