Was God's work really done when he rested on the 7th day?

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 08:12 pm
So if God's work was done in creating the heavens and the earth, why are we still seeing changes. Islands are still being formed and some are being destroyed. Can anyone please explain this to me. Clearly his work wasn't done if we are constantly seeing changes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,690 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Eve

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 08:30 pm
Well the answer could be that he created things to the point where they would continue to evolve on their own, which would mean that his work was technically done. But then if you believe that God made the heavens and the earth in seven days, you would believe anything.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 08:30 pm
Re: Was God's work really done when he rested on the 7th day
scarface136 wrote:
So if God's work was done in creating the heavens and the earth, why are we still seeing changes. Islands are still being formed and some are being destroyed. Can anyone please explain this to me. Clearly his work wasn't done if we are constantly seeing changes.

Everything in nature makes sense when you drop the assumption of God.

Your question only exists because you have recognized a conflict between reality and an assumption. It's reasonable to conclude that the assumption is incorrect.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 10:31 pm
Re: Was God's work really done when he rested on the 7th day
scarface136 wrote:
What is necessary is complete. What you are seeing is the outworking of the natural laws and processes he created. And, if you believe the world was created in seven literal days, you have not read the bible. Nowhere in the bible does it say the seventh day has ended.

Be careful of the straw men you buy from the priests.
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 06:45 pm
Clearly his work wasn't done
At John 5:17 Jesus said: "My Father has kept working until now, and I keep working." Clearly there is still much more to be done.
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 06:52 pm
Everything in nature makes sense when you drop the assumptio
It seems completely logical to me that from your postings I can assume that you exist. I am much more powerfully convinced by what I have read in the Bible, that God exists.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 08:46 pm
Evidence of an author is not evidence of an Author.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 08:50 pm
Re: Everything in nature makes sense when you drop the assum
hankarin wrote:
It seems completely logical to me that from your postings I can assume that you exist. I am much more powerfully convinced by what I have read in the Bible, that God exists.

Yes, but have you figured out from my postings that I am infallible?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 10:40 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
hankarin wrote:

No, quite the contrary.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 08:20 am
neologist wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
hankarin wrote:

No, quite the contrary.

If you study the word of Ebrown, with an open heart, then you will understand.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:14 am
Laughing
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:24 pm
Yes, but have you figured out from my postings that I am inf

Absolutely not, but I believe that you have a marvelous sense of humor and it is a pleasure to correspond with you on that ground alone.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:52 pm
Re: Yes, but have you figured out from my postings that I am
hankarin wrote:

Absolutely not, but I believe that you have a marvelous sense of humor and it is a pleasure to correspond with you on that ground alone.

INFIDEL!!!

Well I should come over and smite you right now. And, I would... if only I weren't all loving as well.
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 05:24 pm
INFIDEL!!!
Every man must be an infidel in some sense, for to believe in everything would beget insanity.

Besides, we should learn from the mistakes of others, rather than repeat their mistakes. The Bible describes Satan and the Pharaoh of Exodus as "gods." Where did it/will it get them?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 09:41 am
If the putative god is, as alleged, omnipotent, why would she ever need a day of rest?

Silly concept.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 09:52 am
I don't think the Bible said that God 'needed' rest, just that He did so.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 10:29 am
If the god were omnipotent, why would she even want to rest--all "physical" states would be equal to her.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:03 am
Perhaps the rest is for the benefit of the things created.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:04 am
Perhaps, but there is no textual basis for that assumption. I am amused by the concept because it is yet another example of anthropomorphizing the god.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 02:06 pm
Setanta wrote:
Perhaps, but there is no textual basis for that assumption. I am amused by the concept because it is yet another example of anthropomorphizing the god.

I agree. And it's funny to watch the rationalizations roll in, attempting to make sense of the preposterous.
0 Replies