Soul and Body info.

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 08:16 am
Ooh, dueling Christians!

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/07/36/39/image_339367.jpg
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:00 am
Are you suggesting that Christians are retarded? That's kinda mean (as well as being untrue), don't you think?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:44 am
IFeelFree wrote:
Are you suggesting that Christians are retarded?

Thou sayest it (Mark 15:2).
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:54 am
Joe is just manifesting advanced mucopolysaccharineurodigitosis.

Sad.

Really sad.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 02:48 pm
neologist wrote:
Scott777ab wrote:
neologist wrote:
"And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death." (Revelation 20:14)

"And whosoever was not found written in the book of life cast into the lake of fire" (Revelation 20:15)
"The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death." (1Corinthians 15:26)

Do you see where we are going with this?

BTW, As I recall you don't believe in the bible. So what is the purpose of this exercise?

The purpose of this exercise is to make scott feel good about himself because he thinks he knows all the answers.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 02:50 pm
I think it depends on your definition of hell, and your interperetation of the Bible.
If you believe in hell in a literal sense then scott is right, If you belive that hell is extinction then neo is right.
Am I right?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 02:57 pm
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
I think it depends on your definition of hell, and your interperetation of the Bible.
If you believe in hell in a literal sense then scott is right, If you belive that hell is extinction then neo is right.
Am I right?
If, in the year the KJV was published you were to tell someone to go to hell, he/she would assume you were directing them to the root cellar.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 03:01 pm
Ok. Well explain then.
Just so the non-christians understand what the fuss is about.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 03:47 pm
The Hebrew word for the common grave of mankind is sheol. The OT belief is, as Solomon wrote, that the ". . . dead are conscious of nothing . . ." (Ecclesiastes 9:5)

Therefore, the dead are just dead.

The Jews used the Greek word hades for sheol when they translated the Septuagint. Hence, the NT, wherever the underlying word is hades, the word 'hell' is referring to mankind's grave.

One problem for translators is the Greek text contains the word Gehenna, a reference to the valley of Hinnom, the garbage dump outside of Jerusalem where sulfurous fires burned continually and where the bodies of criminals were dumped as they were deemed unworthy of burial. Many translators apply the word 'hell' to these occurrences as well. It is easy to see where Jesus' words referring to permanent destruction in a sulfurous fire may now be misrepresented as a sadistic punishment for the wicked.

You and I would never consider for a moment punishing one of our children with a flame. We have this wonderful quality of mercy. Yet many preachers would have us believe that the God who created that quality within us lacks it in himself.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 10:07 am
Well then I was right wasn't I? Hell is just extinction.
Interesting about the translation.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 10:33 am
Well then I was right wasn't I? Hell is just extinction.
Interesting about the translation.
To quote a contemporary TV commercial: "So easy a caveman can do it."

But most religionists cannot.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 04:38 pm
Are you saying that I don't understand just because you think so, or is there a reason?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 07:04 pm
Are you saying that I don't understand just because you think so, or is there a reason?
Not you, THEM!
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 02:16 pm
Oh! Haha.
Well thats great news. I'm not going to hell!
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 06:43 pm
kill the body.... not able to kill the soul.
Jesus said: "Do not become fearful of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; but rather be in fear of him that can destroy both soul and body in Gehenna." (Matthew 10:28)

Definition: In the Bible, "soul" is translated from the Hebrew nephesh and the Greek psykhe. Bible usage shows the soul to be a person or an animal or the life that a person or an animal enjoys.

Jesus is saying that fear of men is shortsighted, for men can kill (our body) but they cannot destroy our future life prospects.

On the other hand, God can destroy our future life prospects (our soul) or can instead resurrect a person to enjoy everlasting life.

Jesus is referring both to the life we enjoy now (body) and the life we may attain to later (soul)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 08:06 pm
Oh! Haha.
Well thats great news. I'm not going to hell!
Who could roast, toast, bake and broil Snow White? It would be cruel, I tellya. Just cruel!
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 08:33 am
neologist wrote:
The Hebrew word for the common grave of mankind is sheol. The OT belief is, as Solomon wrote, that the ". . . dead are conscious of nothing . . ." (Ecclesiastes 9:5)

Don't have time, to answer to this Neo, but if you do a bit more research you will find that no one in the bible

walks on a sheol

but they can walk on a quber ( i think that is the actual word for grave. ) When I get back on the 22nd I will look it up for ya.

Till then may God be with thee, Neo and the peace of Christ be upon you.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 01:15 am
@Scott777ab,
Soul lives on, it is seperated from the body at death. It becomes part of the never ending universe.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:22 pm
@Scott777ab,
The soul can be measured. Not since the early 1900's has anyone attempted again to measure the soul leaving the body. There is a definate decrease in the human body weight when death occurs. Approx 21 mg. Animals have no decrease in weight when they perish.
0 Replies