Film Project Faces Resistance

noinipo

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 12:54 pm
Stauffenberg was an idealist who was willing to die in order to rid the world of the worst man on earth. Cruise has discovered some weird religion and has turned into a clown.
To make a kitschy movie about this momentous day in history would be a shame.
Tom Cruise Film Project Faces Resistance in Germany
Because of his ties to Scientology, Tom Cruise is not welcome to use Germany's defense ministry as a location for his next film, officials said.
The US actor-director is reportedly planning a movie about the July 20, 1944 attempt to assassinate Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler, who survived the blast bloodied but not seriously injured.
Cruise is expected to play Count Claus Schenk von Stauffenberg, the military officer who led the plot and was promptly executed in a courtyard, close to his own office at the army and navy HQ.
The German defense minister now uses the building as his office along with a Defense Ministry complex in Bonn.
Denying recognition.
Antje Blumenthal, party spokeswoman for the Christian Democrats on sect issues, said Defense Minister Franz Josef Jung had assured her Cruise would not be given a clearance to film inside the secure site.
She said letting Cruise inside would have seemed like Germany's recognition of Scientology.
Babelsberg Studios near Berlin said the company was unaware of any shooting schedule for the movie with the working title "Valkyrie," and was still in co-production talks about the project.

The defense ministry said it had not received any request to use the building. News reports said Cruise had taken a look at the military building from outside and studio scenes were to begin on July 19.

Son complains
Stauffenberg's oldest son, Berthold, meanwhile said in remarks quoted Friday by the German daily Süddeutsche Zeitung that he objected to a practicing Scientologist playing his father.
"I hoped for a while that it was all just a publicity stunt by Mr. Cruise," said the 72-year-old retired major general of the German Bundeswehr. He added that Cruise "should keep his hands off my father."
"It's sure to be crap," he said of the movie. "Of course I could be wrong -- I would like to be."
Stauffenberg said Cruise's professed faith in Scientology was "off-putting," adding that the church was not a religion but a "business."
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,2619690,00.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 858 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 07:23 am
It could be a rude awakening for Mr. Cruise, that the pulp sci-fi author Ron Hubbard who devised Dianetics in the space of two days and somehow motivated John W. Campbell, Jr. to publish editorials in Astounding Science Fiction magazine lauding this self-psychoanalysis sham, which pissed off many of the magazine's devoted readers, was a scam to make money. After all, it was the most respected of the sci-fi periodicals for publishing the most intelligently written works in that genre. Was there ever any of Ron Hubbard's pulpy space opera published in Astounding. No.

The motivation of Mr. Hubbard, a womanizing kook, was to undermine traditional religion and the science of psychiatry. Mr. Cruise has claimed to have read all about the history of psychiatry. I'm wondering if he read every last word of every book on psychiatry? Probably. He opened the books and read the last word.
0 Replies