Check your internet connection .......

msolga

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:07 am
I'm having problems with Trend (antivirus) automatic updates.

The process gets as far as "downloading the latest components", then stops dead at "applying latest components".

Then I get this message: "update unsuccessful. Check your internet connection and try again. Consult Online Help for additional instructions (24)"

OK, Luddite question or not: How do I check my internet connection? In Internet Options? And what am I supposed to be looking for, exactly? Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,048 • Replies: 10
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:36 am
If you're able to post here, most likely your Internet connection is fine.

"Check your Internet connection" really means "I couldn't talk the the server and since the problem couldn't possibly be with the server, and programmers are incapable of admitting error, then it must be you."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:38 am
By "server" you mean my ISP, DrewDad?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:43 am
if you have a firewall disable it. Update manually and re-enable your firewall.

It could be your ISP is picking up one of the virus signatures that are being downloaded and Quarantining it although that is unlikely.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:45 am
OK, I'll try that & see what happens. Thanks, dadpad.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:52 am
This is a step by step solution on the Trend knowledgebase. It may be your ISP is now using a proxy or it could be (as I said before) your (windows?) firewall.

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/support/viewxml.do?ContentID=EN-1033049
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:22 am
Sad

Stuck, I think.

When directions start with:

Check the presence of Ontrack Fix-It Utilities or Ontrack SystemSuite ...... = Confused

Just one question: do you think my ISP could be of help in resolving this through their phone advice service? I've used them before to fix other problems.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:31 am
msolga wrote:
By "server" you mean my ISP, DrewDad?

By "server" I mean the machine from which you are supposed to download the update.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:35 pm
Yes by all means contact Your ISP.

re ontrack- I suspect that you wont have this but just to be on the safe side;

<Start>, <search> type "ontrack" into the "search for files or folders named" box. Click on search and let it run. It may a take a fair while to finish.

Do you have a firewall (including windows firewall)?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 05:55 am
Thanks, dadpad.

I've tried a few things, like disabling Trend (then Windows) firewall. No difference. Still not downloading.

Have tried to make sense of Trend's online help info. But honestly don't find the information particularly user friendly & wouldn't feel confident about following their instructions. Could possibly make things even messier than they are now.

Contacted my ISP. No problems they could identify from my transaction log. The fellow suggested removing the existing Trend program & reinstalling it. (Which I can't do because I don't have the CD. My tech help installed it.)

So I'm stumped.

Will give my tech help guy a ring & see what he suggests.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:28 pm
Ah the mysteries of the internet!
Guess what? The problem somehow fixed itself a couple of days ago. After endless problems, warning messages (from Trend & Windows), much reading of online "help" (?) info & a visit to my tech help planned, suddenly it all comes good!

So what was that all about then? Confused

But now I'm getting a message (when I first turn on my computer, not log onto the internet) that a "serious error" has occurred & do I want to report it to Windows?

<sigh> No, I don't want to.

Not just now, anyway.

Give me a break!
0 Replies