Nup, don't remember 'em.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 07:12 am
Gee, that's too bad.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 09:36 am
Hey, did any of youse guys see the Larry King interview with Paul and Ringo last week. Larry King is really a moron, but it was really interesting to see Paul and Ringo together again.

This clip is only one part of a seven-part video series on Youtube. The first two clips are just Yoko and George Harrison's wife talking...kind of boring...but from this clip to the end is all Paul and Ringo. I especially loved the 30-45 second video montages on the outro and intro to the commercials. You'll see what I mean.

Enjoy!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 09:40 am
One of my favorite quotes is when Larry asks them if they knew when they first started that they were going to be such a hit, and Ringo says, "We thought we'd be big in Liverpool."
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 03:02 pm
Okay, so nobody cares. That's alright. I'm hurt, but it's alright. You'll never see me cry!

Damn it, Gargamel, you've unleashed a monster. Thanks to this thread I'm in full-on Beatlemania mode. I realized I had only ONE Beatles song on my iPod (Rocky Raccoon), and so have been downloading furiously. I now have about forty songs in my soon-to-be-awesome collection of Beatles classics.

Also, I always loved that song, "Hey, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away", and wondered if it wasn't something I could learn on the guitar. Turns out it's a pretty simple song to play. So now I have that song on my iPod (I'm actually listening to it right now through my computer speakers) and I know how to play it. Sweet!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 03:29 pm
One more thing.

I've changed my mind about Paul McCartney. I always thought that Lennon was the more talented songwriter, but after listening to these guys all day, I can hear how important Paul was. Lennon had somewhat heavier lyrics that were maybe a bit more poetically pleasing, and maybe they had some a deeper resonance with me overall, but I now see that a lot of the most smart, clever, surprise musical transitions and interesting musical ideas within many songs were Paul's. And although I feel that he was more cutesie with it than John, he was no less talented.

The end of Hey Jude, for instance. They hit that word, "better" and it launches into that ingenious transitional part, "better, better, better, better, better, aaaaahhhhhhh...and then on into one of the greatest ad-libbed endings ever put on record. "na na na nanana naaahhh...hey jude...

And even though you've probably heard it a million times, I defy you to find a more satisfying to sing along with, goosebump-inducing part in any song than Paul's screaming ad-libbed line, "Jude jude-a-jude-a-jude-a-jude-a-jude-a-wowwwwwwaaaaoooow!..."

So me new opinion is that it was a tie for who had the most talent. Ha, I guess it can't really be quantified like that. It's just amazing to me that two so ridiculously talented songwriters ended up not only inhabiting the same planet at the same time, but actually ended up in the same band. How lucky we all are for it.

Can you imagine how incredible it would have been to be in the room, just watching and listening while those two were writing and rehearsing new songs? The mind boggles.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 03:44 pm
I saw it! I could not believe my eyes. I had JUST ripped LK a fresh hole for that Paris Hilton interview, calling him the whore of all whores and then wham, I turned on the tv last night and...all hail Larry King!

I missed about twenty minutes of it. But I gotta tell you, when he announced that the widows would be on, a chill ran up my spine. And then there they were, Yoko and Paul and Ringo and George's widow (is she American?). No blows were thrown, not a disparaging word. When did they all kiss and make up?

It was a historical event in my book. I just hope my brother, a major Beatles fan who introduced me to them when i was about ten, caught the show. He passed away in 2004. Hopefully they were showing it on the big screen on high. Very Happy

Where ya been Kick? It was always understood, or so I've taken for granted, that while both Lennon and McCartney were excellent songwriters, Lennon was heavier while Paul was lighter and more commercial. Neither were better, IMO. Their styles were different but they were capable of blending and writing together too. Great duo.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 04:39 pm
Yeah, they were the perfect yin and yang combo. When Garagmel started this thread, I got carried away just looking at all the vids of them. I love this one. Another classic song, but I also love the vid.

If you like the folk song type of stuff -- like Hide Your Love Away -- then you might like this. Paul wrote "Goodbye" for the folk singer Mary Hopkin. I always loved that song.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 05:26 pm
I always saw John as the Rock and Roll guy, the one influenced by 50s R&B, while to me, Paul was always the one with the elaborate orchestrations, and the sentimental lyrics--the music hall style. I think they're equally talented, just different directions.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 06:00 pm
Hide Your Love Away.
Terrific song!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 06:59 pm
I have a weird relationship to the Beatles. My parents disdained them for some reason, but my 4th through 6th grade teacher revered them, and played guitar, and made music a big part of the classroom, so I spent three years singing at least one Beatles song a day. My internal versions are therefore mostly made up of kids' voices, but I still love the songs. Some real versions have slipped through, from hither and yon. (You couldn't really be alive and able to hear from 1970 through 1983 and not hear at least some Beatles songs... oh and there were annual showings of "Yellow Submarine" from about 4th grade on, that's a major source.)

There was a wonderful New Yorker article recently about Paul that changed my thinking about who was the ranking genius -- I'd previously thought John, too. Took some looking, but here it is. Format's yucky, recommended reading anyway.

http://macca-archives.livejournal.com/12174.html#cutid1
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 07:12 pm
kickycan wrote:
Hey, did any of youse guys see the Larry King interview with Paul and Ringo last week. Larry King is really a moron, but it was really interesting to see Paul and Ringo together again.

This clip is only one part of a seven-part video series on Youtube. The first two clips are just Yoko and George Harrison's wife talking...kind of boring...but from this clip to the end is all Paul and Ringo. I especially loved the 30-45 second video montages on the outro and intro to the commercials. You'll see what I mean.

Enjoy!
I saw it. It made me sad though when they talked about John and George.

One of my favorites from Paul
Paul McCartney-Maybe Im Amazed
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 07:36 pm
some faves from early to late career

All My Loving
I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
I'll Cry Instead
No Reply
Act Naturally (Ringo owns this song)
You Won't See Me
Girl
In My Life
I'm Only Sleeping
She Said She Said
And Your Bird Can Sing
For No One
Got To Get You Into My Life
Tomorrow Never Knows
Strawberry Fields Forever
Rain
The Ballad Of John And Yoko
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Blackbird
Helter Skelter
Revolution 1
Let It Be
Long And Winding Road
Get Back
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 07:44 pm
just sent that list to winamp, listening now and loving it
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 08:54 pm
Oh!
"All My Loving".
Loved it!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 09:52 pm
kickycan wrote:
...So me new opinion is that it was a tie for who had the most talent. Ha, I guess it can't really be quantified like that. It's just amazing to me that two so ridiculously talented songwriters ended up not only inhabiting the same planet at the same time, but actually ended up in the same band....

What are the odds of two of the greatest composers of the modern world growing up in the same town and teaming up before it was known that either one had a special talent? I can't really quantify it, of course, but I'd guess the odds are infinitessimal, like millions or billions to one. If that's true, that the odds of it happening are vanishingly small, then what does it mean?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 07:30 am
That if they DID manage to team up they'd create one of the best bands ever.

That's what I was thinking when I read the New Yorker article, too -- that Paul and John would have each been amazing on their own, but it was the partnership that prodded each to greater heights than they would have reached individually, and that with TWO such people working together... (Great article, really!)
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 08:02 am
If you (anyone) think you see an event with a probability of one in a billion, the odds are you're not interpreting what you see correctly.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 08:51 am
Thanks for posting that article, Soz. Very interesting. I never knew that neither Paul nor John could read music! Amazing.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 06:37 pm
Okay, so I'm walking through the south end of central park and I happen to walk by the carousel, and guess what music is playing. A carousel version of Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da.

The Beatles are taking over my life, I tell you. I must...break...free. Must...not...listen...anymore...

Okay, now I must go. I'm trying to teach myself the song, "All Together Now." I think my nephew and nieces would like that one.
0 Replies