kickycan

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:04 am
DrewDad wrote:
Blackbird.

YES
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:08 am
it would be impossible for me to name a favorite Beatles song. Can't do it. Too much wealth of material.

I would probably pick the entire side 2 of Abbey Road as a desert island album though.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:13 am
Dear Prudence
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:26 am
I tend to like the more innocent early work like "Any Time at All," "Don't Bother Me," "It Won't Be Long," etc.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:31 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I would probably pick the entire side 2 of Abbey Road as a desert island album though.

True that.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:32 am
Gargamel wrote:
Dear Prudence

Thats the name of the Sousxie and the Banshees song ive been trying to think of!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:36 am
material girl wrote:
. . . and in many way surpassed her previous classic 'I think we're alone now'.

"I think we're alone now" is also a cover, originally recorded by Tommy James and the Shondells in 1967. Pete Seger once said that his father had said "in his musicological way" that "plagarism is basic to all culture."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:39 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
it would be impossible for me to name a favorite Beatles song. Can't do it. Too much wealth of material.

In college, i was obsessed with "Come Together." I first heard it when i was wrecked on hash, and for many, many years i could get stoned and play that song, and be right back in that victorian student slum house, stoned out of my gourd, gettin' off on the spooky music.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:41 am
That's the stuff fine memories are made of. Very Happy
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 10:57 am
It's hard to pick a favorite Beatles song. Just too much greatness to choose from.

But as far as their early stuff, here's one I especially like. And this one.

Man, they were cute!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 01:25 pm
Great videos, huh? I wonder if Paul still smokes?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 03:09 pm
I think he does, eoe. (But not necessarily tobacco) :wink:
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 03:19 pm
Very Happy Thanks, Stray Cat -- I just watched a couple videos of their early work. There is so much joy and energy in "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Long Tall Sally" ....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:16 pm
When I was a kid I had a friend who was a couple years older than me who LOOOOOOVED the Beatles. I liked Electric Light Orchestra. We used to argue all the time about whose version of Roll Over Beethoven was better. HA! I had no idea what the hell I was talking about! I used to think ELO was better than the Beatles. I was only about thirteen at the time though, so I think I should be forgiven for that sacrilege.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 10:47 pm
kickycan wrote:
When I was a kid I had a friend who was a couple years older than me who LOOOOOOVED the Beatles. I liked Electric Light Orchestra. We used to argue all the time about whose version of Roll Over Beethoven was better. HA! I had no idea what the hell I was talking about! I used to think ELO was better than the Beatles. I was only about thirteen at the time though, so I think I should be forgiven for that sacrilege.

Of course, Chuck Berry's version was pretty great too.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 06:18 am
The original!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 07:53 am
Thank you!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 08:26 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
kickycan wrote:

Of course, Chuck Berry's version was pretty great too.

Indeed.

Almost every band of the era played that song. I have versions by the Sonics and the Remains.

The Remains are a great band that feel through the cracks. They opened for the Beatles at Shea. I recommend downloading Why Do I Cry and giving them a listen.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 09:37 am
Gargamel wrote:
a great band that feel through the cracks.

Eeeew.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 09:42 am
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies