Going Nuts Part 2

stach

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 02:40 pm
I guess I have lost all interest or sympathy of the people here after posting Going Nuts part 1.
But I am not disappointed or angry. The thing is I am somehow losing interest in everything so it really doesn't matter if you don't say anything. But on the other hand it does not mean I won't be glad if you do replay.

I wish you knew the whole story. My life has been incredibly complex and full of amazing moments and happiness and satisfaction and also, naturally, a lot of struggle and ambitions and frustration.

I hope you don't mind if I write a bit about myself - my story. Cuz I see
when I post something specific about something at school, it is a tiny, miniature part of my life, my work and my values. And not the whole picture.
So that is not something I would criticize about people replying to me. What can you do, of course, you have to try to imagine what the point is. There is no way how you could see the whole picture.

For example my age. I mentioned that I am 40 in one of my posts. Most of you will imagine a guy with partly gray hair, maybe partly bold, a pot belly, a few children on his back, mortgage and a mid-aged wife in the middle of a marriage that is falling apart. That is exactly what I am not.

For some reason, I was born to a family where almost everybody looks about 10 years younger. My dad is 73 but looks about 60, the same for my mum. When I show my 24 year old girlfriend - yes, I have a regular gf - my photos when I was 25, she looks disgusted - I would never ever date a child like that, she says... Not only look I much younger, but what is kind of special and a handicap, I also act much younger. I must confess when I go to a bar and have a drink, I don't feel any different or in any different position from when I was 25. I see the same potential to pick up a girl or a woman and the probability of success is about the same. I look 28 or so - so when I was 25 in fact, they probably thought I was 18. I am just not so extremely naive and simple like I used to be. But that naivity and simplicity really helps in fact when you want to pick up somebody. I will tell you a fact, sue me, I used to have loads of girls and women. Loads.
But I am not interested in that, either. I am happy my relationship with my gf works.

What is strange these days is that I feel so tired and without energy or enthusiasm I had until recently. It is as if I was going through some kind o f transtition from a child to an adult. Yes, I am 40. But this is how I feel.

Do you remember I mentioned enjoying having young, sexy teenagers in my class? I don't feel it anymore. I feel tired and they began to look totally normal, ordinary. Teenage girls are my everyday reality. I know some of you criticized me for noticing physical beauty of girls that I am teaching, but now I wish I felt that. It is gone. Do you think I have grown up? I dont' know.

One thing I changed a lot is my attitude toward my students. I was so naive at the beginning. I believed I could get along with all of them just because I believed my and their intelligence and good intentions will secure good relations. Wake up to the real life. No, it doesn't work. I am not perfect and never will be. They are not, eigher. Some of them already show sings of bad character. They are going to steal from banks they are going to work at. They are going to cheat, they are going to be corrupt politicians, cynical office workers, bad journalists, all kind of people who you would not admire. Of course, not all of them, but you can already feel it in some of their attitudes. It is just a fact and I can hardly change anything about that. So I guess I will have to find a new attitude toward them.
More realistic attitude.

Maybe some of you will say - don't worry about their characters, just do your job teaching. I don't know if that is the American way. I had a friend , an AMerican English teacher. ANd he told me he sometimes feels as if the Czech students treat him like a piece of furniture. They think he is a machine, or a robot, not human. That made a huge impact on me. I was like that too, teachers for us were some kind of info suppliers, no more that that.
So now I think it is natural for a teacher like me or you to feel some human
relations with students, feel their negative or positive emotions.

The school term is ending and most of us teachers here are really tired or even exhausted. I am really sad. I get all kind of support from my colleagues and the management. They want me to teach more and keep praising my work. But the work, the actual work, being in the classroom with the students is a different story. It is tough and after the initial excitement, I have to find out what kind of teacher and person at school I am or want to be.

Even if you don't reply, no worries. I am happy I can share something of my life. It is a true story. I am a 40 year old guy moving from his childhood dreams and excitement into the world of adults. Scary, the first impression is really scary.

Some of you may be appalled - how come such an immature person is allowed to teach teenagers? It is another tiny bit of reality, not the whole story. I am not totally immature. There are things I do that are probably very mature, maybe rare among people. Maybe I have some qualities that help others. We don't know. There must be some reason why I get so much praise from people. But this praise doesn't seem to push me forward anymore. Children need it, I don't care about it anymore.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 713 • Replies: 1
No top replies

stach

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 03:22 pm
I have to comment before anyone comes up with comments.

I guess it is not a bad idea to pour whatever comes to our mind. And then check it and double check it.

Where did it come from?

I think we all have some natural tendencies we are born with. Then during the life we encounter things and our inner tendency and the outer influence mix and we get the results
- our actual, present life.

So I was never meant to be a consistent, regular, ordinary guy. I was born strangely quiet, inward, having a very rich inner world. As a child I was living in my own world - did not communicate with other children much, did not understand the world of adults at all, being very scared of it, actually. I guess I was born to be an "artist". Someone who is selfish, self-centered, does whatever he finds necessary for developing his art spectrum. But also someone who is very sensitive about what is going on around, sensitive to other people's pain and worries, happiness, dreams.

As a teenager, I was a clear outsider, only popular with kids who were somehow exceptional and interested in my strange ideas. Girls didn't care about me. I was extremely shy and stupid - in terms of handling them.

But something changed as I turned 23 or so and I also changed my life philosophy. My life philosophy when I was 23 was very simple. I left my inner, sad, dark, frustrated world and joined the crowd. I decided to explore the physical pleasures of being human. I decided to go out drinking, hanging out with interesting intellectuals, pretty girls, listening to great music, having fun, fun, fun, fun and fun. I had no worries. ANd girls and women were everywhere and they were easily picked up cuz I was such a laid-back guy with funny or strange or interesting ideas about life.

I had absolutely no responsibilities and being a teacher was just another part of my fun life. I am not aware of causing any damage, any harm to anyone. I was as childish as any students I taught. I was not really a teacher. I was just another student paid for explaining grammar and phrasal verbs and encouraging students to talk.

Then somehow I picked the idea that it would be better to make money rather than teaching for nearly nothing and started to work as a translator, interpreter and teach at companies. That is when boredom and ever-present fear of not having a job began. I was a free lancer never knowing how much money if any money I would make next month. Soon I realized I am not the kind of person, ambitious and determined enough to make it in translating or interpreting business. I didn't understand how it really works and didn't enjoy translating very much anyway. Several years passed and I showed up at the school where I am teaching now.
I am basically ready to do it full time now. No more worries about money - there is a stable, fixed income. All the time. I can get loans and buy a car etc. I am becoming an adult. The job - as you know - it will never be just fun or just frustration. It is both. I should accept this. I don't know where I am going but I guess it is REAL life now.

So no surprise I made mistakes when I started to teach here at the high school 2 years ago. IT will take time before I somehow settle down as a teacher and find my attitude toward the students.

I started with my childhood and my tendency to be a bohemian, an unreliable, overly emotional artist. Someone who cant' get up in the mornng and who cant' have a steady job. How did it happen that I go against my natural tendency and now do so many things that are so not natural for me? I skipped a very important part of my life, or a period that changed a lot. If you want to know more, let me know, otherwise I will really go nuts talking to myself here.
0 Replies