wenchi...;

just found this thread, i love your:
"Life, then, can be seen as a superposition of order/chaos."

rather fits nicely into my 'actuallization of opposites' theory;
shall we dance? (analgously of course)
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 11:06 pm
LIFE! LIFE! LIFE! LIFE! if you stare in the mirror and repeat the word over again and again and again, then you shall find the meaning and the essence of what life truly is!
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 10:28 pm
Life is that meaningless spec of compilations that are as noticeable as any other of piece of sand in the desert.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 10:43 pm
wench, If you're trying to give me a headache, you've accomplished your goal. OUCH! Anyhoose, WELCOME to A2K. I like your kind of philosophy; can't understand any of it. The definition of life is everything and nothing - and everything in between. I'm not so sure life is perfect balance, since man is able to play with the creation and termination of life to some degree. Maybe a zygote is a perfect life form. You claim there is order and chaos. Maybe it's all order, and only man sees the chaos. Maybe it's all 'natural' order. c.i.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 08:18 am
Perhaps CI; if we can reinvent it, and perfect it (perfect/never!), then we can scrap the 'diposable' mode, society has practiced since prehistory.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 08:20 am
Red; try it with two mirrors at right angles to each other:

LIFE; LIFE;LIFE; LIFE; LIFE; LIFE; LIFE; LIFE; LIFE; LIFE; LIFE; LIFE;
................................................................................to infinity!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 08:55 am
Re: Defining Life
wenchilina wrote:
My latest theory is that anything alive is perfectly balanced (or exists in the two states simultaneously) between order and chaos.

Something too ordered, for instance a crystal, isn't alive. Something too disordered (chaotic) isn't alive either, for instance a rock.

Life, then, can be seen as a superposition of order/chaos.

But, of course, such a definition of life depends on the definitions of "order" and "chaos." The risk, then, is that these terms become self-referential: something is alive because it is neither too ordered nor too chaotic, and we know it is balanced between order and chaos because we know it is alive. Despite appearances, this is not a tautology: rather, it is a form of question-begging.

To give an example: suppose we discover a thing, previously unknown to human observation. We are not certain if it is alive or not, so we check to see how ordered or chaotic it may be. But what criteria do we use to determine its level of order or chaos? Presumably, those criteria developed by examining other beings which we are certain are either definitely alive or definitely not. Thus we may ask is the new thing more like a crystal or a bacteria, more like a rock or a rock star. Yet by determining life in this fashion, we are not using extrinsic terms (order and chaos) but rather terms that are, themselves, defined by our notion of "life."

wenchilina wrote:
This leads to another theory of mine: explanations of anything are merely analogies of something else, i.e. somewhat circular or tautological and in a sense, self-referential.

This is somewhat similar to Nelson Goodman's view, stated in Fact, Fiction, and Forecast.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 09:04 am
Wenchilina's theory seems sound to me, but it appears to be more a theory of living than of life itself. While in tune with my thoughts philosophically, I don't believe that it defines "life" accurately.
0 Replies