Sir Salman Rushdie - The Hatred Flares

fresco

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 12:49 am
Well said Setanta,

Irving has his "free speech". He opens his mouth and falls in ! No doubt there's plenty of room for Zippo in the same cess-pit.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 02:49 am
Setanta wrote:

Here's the lie. Irving was not sent to jail, not in England, not in Austria, not in Germany, not in Italy and not in Canada.

First line? Laughing

Quote:
"British historian David Irving is jailed for three years in Austria"

BBC News

I rest my case.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 02:57 am
fresco wrote:
Well said Setanta,

Irving has his "free speech"...

He was forced to change his mind. Free speech my a$$. Laughing

"During his trial in Austria, Irving said he had changed his mind"

BBC News
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 03:07 am
....so the unprincipled liar, lied about about his beliefs!...surprise, surprise !
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 06:13 am
Yeah, the online biography i had read about Irving didn't include his jail time in Austria--but so what? It still doesn't support Zippy's hatefulness. His claim that it is relevant because Irving was jailed, while Rushdie gets a knighthood. But Rushdie got his knighthood in England, and Irving was not jailed in England--more's the pity.

What is a bigger pity is that the antisemite among us has made the Rushdie thread all about his hatred of Jews.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 12:18 pm
to revert to hatred of muslims for a minute Smile

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/india_knight/article1977510.ece
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 12:30 pm
Excellent piece, Steve, kudos to Miss Knight.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 04:04 pm
incidentally watched Richy Hatton fight on Setanta today. Any connection? Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 08:37 am
I'm still in court trying to get my royalties . . . so i'm not allowed to comment . . .
0 Replies

lostnsearching

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:18 am
Re: Sir Salman Rushdie - The Hatred Flares
(Saw it a bit late... hope it's not dead....)

Eorl wrote:
This is the Pakistan Government's response today;

Quote:
Religious Affair Minister Mohammad Ejaz-ul-Haq said insults to Islam were the cause of terrorism.

"The West always wonders about the root cause of terrorism. Such actions are the root cause of it," Ejaz-ul-Haq told parliament.

"If someone commits suicide bombing to protect the honour of the Prophet Mohammad, his act is justified," he said.

"If Britain doesn't withdraw the award, all Muslim countries should break off diplomatic relations."

Are they considered an extreme muslim government?

As a simple answer... YES!
Do i need to explain why? Rolling Eyes

Now lets see who this guy is... WOW!!! a 'Minister'!!! Shocked
Oh C'mon... can't we discuss someone who's sensible or ever logical?

Steve 41oo wrote:

something in that article...

Quote:
Union Jacks were burnt in Pakistan, with rioters shouting "Kill him!". If I were Pakistani, I'd be more inclined to riot about the monstrous off-the-scale corruption that riddled my government, and the corrupted version of Islam that brainwashed disenfranchised young men in the madrasahs,

Bieng a Pakistani here's what i have to say:

I really have the right to live... don't want to be irrationally stoned or something....

[the idiot 'rioters' just have too much time to waste and no brains to use....
And the minor issues mentioned aren't the 'only' things i want to riot about... would rather create a hell... if only it ever showed any results Rolling Eyes]

Eorl wrote:
All kinds of ridiculous nonsense is being bandied about in the Muslim world today after the British government honoured one of it's most outstanding authors, winner of the "Booker of Bookers".

See, this is what infuriates me about the assumptions of religion and Islam in particular.

How dare anyone EVER be sentenced to death for writing a novel?

How DARE they? Who the HELL do they think they are?

(Wasn't sure where to post this, but I expect to get more response from muslims here (in S&R) than elsewhere. I'd like to here how moderate muslims defend this, assuming that they do at all)

hmmm.... now getting back to the main issue...
I do follow Islam to a great extent(sometimes the logic doesn't accept) but I don't know much about exactly what a 'moderate' Muslim would be...
oops... I don't belong here... you want someone to 'defend' that???? Confused

Oh wait..."assuming that they do at all"

so here's my view.... erm.... Confused
Next they'll be saying "Kill her! Kill Her" so NO!

(No intentions to offend anyone!)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:57 am
Re: Sir Salman Rushdie - The Hatred Flares
lostnsearching wrote:

I do follow Islam to a great extent(sometimes the logic doesn't accept) but I don't know much about exactly what a 'moderate' Muslim would be...
oops... I don't belong here... you want someone to 'defend' that???? Confused

Oh wait..."assuming that they do at all"

so here's my view.... erm.... Confused
Next they'll be saying "Kill her! Kill Her" so NO!

(No intentions to offend anyone!)
Not offended Lost. I'm not sure if I follow your logic here. I'm anti Islam, not anti someone from Pakistan, or even anti someone who describes themselves as a Muslim. I'm against the wicked and baseless ideas which inspire people to commit wicked acts. Too many of those ideas originate within Islam for my liking. (When unfortunately those ideas spill over into acts of violence directed against me or the generally peaceful society in which I live, I believe we are entitled to take direct action to defend ourselves).
0 Replies

lostnsearching

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 05:00 am
no, that's not what i meant...

i really do understand your logic.... I'm sick of all this posing **** too....

not that i ever saw peace or anything...

i just didn't want to attack anyone's personal views...

Quote:
I'm against the wicked and baseless ideas which inspire people to commit wicked acts

and just WHAT can we do about them?
riot against the rioting? :wink:
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 05:16 am
lostnsearching wrote:

i just didn't want to attack anyone's personal views...

Quote:
I'm against the wicked and baseless ideas which inspire people to commit wicked acts

and just WHAT can we do about them?
riot against the rioting? :wink:

absolutely not. And this is the point where it gets really hard. I have no wish to hurt someone's deeply held religious beliefs. What they believe about divinity is for them not me...except that its not. For some believers believe that its the will of Allah that people like me should we wiped from the face of the earth, and will then go to hell. Thats pretty personal.

You ask what we do. Talk dialogue argue produce evidence do research understand where these ideas come from and ultimately why they constitute nothing but a crock of ****.

If that means treading on some religious sensibilities es so be it. But they dont want to talk. When people say he lets sit down and talk about this, they say "You dont understand, we dont want to talk with you, we want to kill you".

Its impossible to have reasoned argument with such people, and its difficult to have any respect for the religion that produces them.
0 Replies

lostnsearching

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 05:22 am
Can't argue!

Quote:
For some believers believe that its the will of Allah that people like me should we wiped from the face of the earth, and will then go to hell

Laughing
good luck

Quote:
Talk dialogue argue produce evidence do research understand where these ideas come from and ultimately why they constitute nothing but a crock of ****.

why argue? those ideas, in my opinion, are never based on any rational thought!!! WHAT SO EVER!!!

I simply find it difficult to live in such places...but you have to be 'in' the system to 'change' the system....

i have no way, what so ever, of defending my senseless minister, religious leaders and fellow citizens....
and I won't make up any bull ****!!! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 05:42 am
lostnsearching wrote:
Can't argue!

Quote:
For some believers believe that its the will of Allah that people like me should we wiped from the face of the earth, and will then go to hell

Laughing
good luck
Thanks.

The problem that we both face is that violent radical Islamists which we can easily distinguishfrom "normal" Muslims, are still most certainly adherents of Islam. They quote passages from the Koran and teachings from Islamic scholars to justify what they do. How can a westerner criticise that without criticising Islam, and hence upsetting "normal" Muslims?
0 Replies