[Resolved] Reporting a post-how do I know it is sent?

TTH

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 11:11 pm
Why?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 02:15 am
TTH wrote:
Why?

Why not?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 04:28 am
TTH wrote:
Roberta wrote:
Yup, Squinney and I are reporting all the spam that arrives in the wee hours. I always get an e-mail confirmation.

That is what I am talking about. I report the spam and don't get an email confirmation when in the past I did. I didn't know if anyone else was having the same problem by not getting confirmation emails on spam reports or if the help desk is even getting the ones I report. It appears they are not receiving the ones I report. I tried the test section and reported myself and that didn't work. Some of your responses are funny btw Laughing

The email is working because if I go through the help desk I do receive emails (that was the other issue- whether that was working)

I shouldn't have to use the "contact us" to report spam. That is what the report button is for. So, now what?

Emphasis mine.

Clearly we have a workaround -- using "Contact Us" is working for you, but the Report button is not. It does not appear to be a binning issue because when you've used "Contact Us", we've received the report and you've received our reply. I'm sorry the Report button isn't working and I don't know why it isn't, but the solution is at hand because you have the "Contact Us" option and it's working.

I recall that this is an issue that Walter Hinteler had and that's where we left it, that he would use the "Contact Us" option and not the Report button. That's been working fine for him.

Therefore, we consider the matter closed. I am marking this topic resolved.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 11:14 am
[It's quite -peculiar- funny: I've still got that "problem", even after installed Vista on a cleaned drive.]
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 10:16 am
Sorry if you had a bad day jespah. It sounded that way to me.
A simple - the button isn't working for you, so you will have to use the contact us instead, would have sufficed.

btw I had no knowledge of Walter Hinteler's problem with the report button.
Also, I see no point in reporting spam if I can't use the report button. So, I just won't report any.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 10:30 am
That was pretty damned snotty. It also calls into question why you report spam. Are you trying to rack up points? Do you do it so that someone will pat you on the back? I report spam whenever i see it. I never get acknowledged because the e-mail address they have for me is no longer functional. I report spam, not because i want to get patted on the back, but because i value the site, and don't want to see it degraded by the crap that spammers post here.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 11:06 am
Setanta
What? Why was that "snotty". I was only being honest.
Rack up points? WTH for? I assumed they (the staff) were receiving my reports of spam. If they aren't, what is the point of reporting it? I am not reporting it through the help desk due to the time it takes. I never asked for or expected a pat on the back. I didn't even know that the staff did not receive the reports until recently and that was by accident otherwise I would still be hitting the report button reporting spam thinking it was being sent.
I don't feel my post was "snotty" at all. If it was taken that way then I am sorry that someone took it that way but, I would post the same post again.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 11:07 am
That's interesting. Over the course of this thread, it turns out that quite a lot of us have had this trouble, including me. I sounded non-comprehending about TTH's problem, but figured out later that I did comprehend it.

Mine was fixed by getting a new just-for-a2k email address on a different provider, and having the administration here officially change my email. So far so good. (I was whining on this thread about how much I don't like reading emails on that new email provider.)
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 03:22 pm
Walter Hinteler
Well that explains why, because you have a pc (just joking-about the pc)

ossobuco
You have a mac (don't know what version) and so do I (I do know what version I have so does another member or members)
I can't change email providers (not my rule)

Vista hmm just thinking.....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 03:57 pm
TTH wrote:
Sorry if you had a bad day jespah. It sounded that way to me.

That was snotty--there was no reason to assume that Jespah was having a bad day, nor was there anything in her post to which it were reasonable to take offense.

Just because you don't receive an e-mail to acknowledge your report of a post doesn't mean that the staff didn't get the report. Now you want to take all your marbles and go home, because you don't get acknowledgements of your report. How droll.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 04:10 pm
I just reported spam and didn't get an e-mail.

My e-mail address is correct in my profile. It didn't get sent to my deleted folder and I haven't changed anything with my e-mail or A2K account in the last few weeks, but I stopped getting notices that my reports were recieved for some reason.

I don't want them. I just delete them anyway since I assumed they were automated.

Now I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the automation on A2K's end.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 04:26 pm
Setanta
I don't think I was being snotty and I didn't assume anything. I said "It sounded that way to me" and I still feel the same way.
If the staff are not receiving my reports, then it serves no purpose to "report" using a button that doesn't work. Jespah even states in her post "I'm sorry the Report button isn't working and I don't know why it isn't...".

Take my marbles and go home? Otherwise, not play the game or maybe you meant quit. You should not assume anything about me and I am not going to argue with you about this anymore so save your breathe or in case you don't get that- save your fingers from typing.

Per jespah the matter is closed & resolved.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 04:36 pm
squinney wrote:
.........Now I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the automation on A2K's end.
I also wonder that squinney.

Jespah I do apologize if you feel the matter is resolved and I thought it was too after your response but there are other areas of A2K that aren't working like they were so I didn't know if it is from my computer or if others are experiencing the same thing.

I didn't change anything on my computer. Which led me to believe you had a change of policy (confirmed with a "no") or if there has been a system change with the site. I would like to think you want to know if something isn't working from your end and if people don't tell you, how are you to know.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 05:12 pm
this thread is proof positive that we as a group can get our panties in a bunch over anything.... a major part of the charm of the place.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 07:40 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
this thread is proof positive that we as a group can get our panties in a bunch over anything.... a major part of the charm of the place.

Like you give a rat's ass about the bunch!

You just want the panties.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 04:45 am
Okay, this is the last time I am answering this topic. That's not me having a "bad day", it's me having to parcel out my time in an intelligent and organized manner. A2K is far from the only thing on my plate and so I cannot spend all of my time on one thing.

Since this matter was originally being handled -- and resolved -- in the Help Desk, it's a lot more work for me to also have to address it here, where I have to be the one to do so, whereas on the Help Desk anyone on the Moderating/Administrative Team can do so. This is not an efficient use of my or the team's time. Duplication of effort is not a good idea in any organization.

That having been said, I will reiterate. There has been no change in our Help Desk policy. If there had been, I would have announced it.

Finally, the issues of the Help Desk and email are complicated at best. With every ticket, the Help Desk sends out an automated confirmation (plus, we also send our own thank yous, questions or acknowledgments). Receive enough of those, and even if you don't want this to happen, your provider may start binning those emails. Keep in mind that you may not be the only A2Ker with that particular email provider and therefore the provider could be seeing hundreds of those emails. This is an algorithm that all major email providers use -- the specifics are not known to me but the general idea is that once automated messages hit a particular level then the provider will start tagging them as spam unless told not to do so by its own users.

Furthermore, even if an email gets through the provider's own safeguards, it may be binned by your own settings. Also, during the process of sending, emails go from our server through a network and then to your email provider's server. The process can break down at any point. It's virtually impossible for me and my staff to pinpoint that, and most of it is beyond our control.

When a workaround exists, while it may not be optimal, at least there is a way to get the same results as with the original method. If you do not wish to use the workaround, that is your prerogative. No one is under any obligation to report spam, although we appreciate it when you do.

I trust this answers all questions.
0 Replies