Hostel Part 2

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 12:29 am
I just saw it. Was kind of dissapointing IMO. Even though I've met/heard alot of people that extreamly disliked the first movie I still very much enjoyed the first one. Early 20's college student have the relatability of the first movie I think targeted their age/sex group more than anyone (Obviously as the actors in the first movie appeared to be young men in their early-mid 20s).

Anyway onto Hostel 2. I really enjoyed how they opened the movie up. Exposing how big of a group this "underground bloodhound/hunters" group really was. I liked how they continued the story kindof right where they left from from the last one. It sucked that Paxton (I think his name was) from the first movie was decapitated. But hey, if thats what they need to do to get a strong message across to the viewers it worked to perfection.

Hostel 2 did a good job of bringing back the horrific and gruesome images used to tourture/kill/maim/etc that was in the first movie. They had a very cool ritualistic killing in the movie. Also, like I said before they did a good job of showing how big this "underground european killing club" or whatever how actual buisness like it was. Contracts/Tattoos/Highest bidder gets the American girl.

Also, I liked the idea of showing the "other" side of the story as they go into the lives of two of the clients as they will soon make an effort to kill the main characters at the end of the story. I'm not sure if I liked the flip-flop at the end of the two antagonists but it definitely was a twist.

I thought the ending was kindof predictable in the sense that I had a feeling that Beth (I think her name was/main character) was going to get out alive. It was disgustingly cheesy that she snipped of the male genitals and fed them to the dog as she walked out of the room.

Also I didn't understand quite understand the relationship between Vera and the old guy in which Beth bought her freedom from. Was that her grandfather or something?

Also, I didn't like the end of the movie. I thought it was kind of dumb that Beth just chopped of Vera's head. I very much like how Paxton killed the two girls who hustled him and his friends in the first movie alot better.

2/5 stars. Worth seeing if you were a fan of the first movie. Entertaining at some points, but I wouldn't expect this movie to surpass the first one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,015 • Replies: 10
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 08:13 am
I watched Hostel and will watch Hostel 2. Mostly because the girl is into that sort of movie to begin with.

I thought Hostel, while only a fair movie, did a good job of maintaining some suspense at least. Hopefully Hostel 2 maintains that.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 01:28 pm
I'm trying to read a bit but, keep myself from knowing the ending in your post as well so, forgive me if I dont get it all right.

It sounds like since I really enjoyed Hostel I will still at least enjoy Hostel 2 but, like many other sequels it won't live up to the original. That's fine, there are too few good flicks anyway and if it's at least mediocre, I'll enjoy it. Thanks for the run down anyway (what I let myself read of it!).

My godduaghter said the best recent flick of this type was Vacancy - and thats on the Netflix list for when it does come out - wouldn't happen to have input on that one would ya? (She's a 20 something so, I wonder).

(yes fishin you will be watching Hostel 2...just be glad I'll put it on Netflix and didn't make you go to the theater Wink )
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:13 pm
Speaking of Netflix,

When I select a movie on queue and it says "long wait". Can I place that on top of the list and Netflix would still send me that film right away? Or do I really have to wait a while?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:25 pm
Jeremiah wrote:
Speaking of Netflix,

When I select a movie on queue and it says "long wait". Can I place that on top of the list and Netflix would still send me that film right away? Or do I really have to wait a while?

The "Long wait" means that everyone else has it on their lists too - it is a high demand item. Moving it up on your list MAY help but it isn't likely to help much (it depends on where you in particular sit in Netflicks's super-secret prioritization system.)

The long wait thing usually happens just a movie releases. I just wait it out and in a few weeks the fuss dies down. Smile
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:36 pm
The first one was not bad, but I'm not too excited about this one, for some reason. Do they show a lot of naked jiggling boobies? That might be just the thing to get me out to see it.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:37 pm
I have read about the Hostel films but have not seen either one.

I am just wondering how far filmmakers will go to shock people.

Do any of you feel that the Hostel movies are too extreme?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 02:27 pm
I don't think the first one went far enough, actually. But I'm a sick freak, according to my friend who saw it with me, so maybe I'm not the one to ask.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 03:02 pm
kickycan wrote:
I don't think the first one went far enough, actually. But I'm a sick freak, according to my friend who saw it with me, so maybe I'm not the one to ask.

I have heard some people say that the sickest movie ever made is a 2005 Australian film called "Feed". Have you seen that one, Kickycan? (It has been shown in the U.S. on cable TV.)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 03:21 pm
No, actually I didn't see that. Never heard of it until just now, but I checked it out on imdb.com and it sounds like my kind of thing. Disturbing is always good.

I did see a different Australian movie once that was based on a true story about a particularly prolific serial killer (I can't for the life of me remember what it was called), and although the movie was subpar overall, there was one scene in there that to this day gets me when I think of it. The guy catches this girl and explains to her how to immobilize a victim by slicing the spinal chord from the back of the neck, and then he does it to her and she can do nothing more but lay there with her eyes bugging out in terror waiting for him to finish her off. Sick and nasty stuff.

I wish I could remember the name of that damn movie!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 04:49 pm
kicky--when you figure it out let me know - now I can't remember it either!!

I dont think the original Hostel film went too far, in fact I think the filmmakers did quite a few of the 'less is more' shots then they got into the gore more in detail so, it was good. Frankly I thought the Hills Have Eyes from last year had more gore than needed but, I still enjoyed it...My mother however will never be the same.

I'm sick and twisted when it comes to these movies though. My favorite is Ravenous and for some reason the orginal Evil Dead still lingers about in a list of favorites as well. Rob Zombie's recents are right up there also.

So, if that says anything for you then you know where I stand on all of it. At least I know its not for everyone and most of them are for the laughs but, once in a while a good one comes along.

Must go find Feed. Thanks for the tip.
0 Replies