Which was a better war movie directed by Clint Eastwood?

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 12:25 am
Flags of our Fathers?

Or Letters from Iwo Jima?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 529 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 10:33 am
I liked both films, and they make a matched pair. "Letters for Iwo Jima" was the more radical departure from the traditional war genre, and it certainly was the more dramatic of the two. It seemed to me that the story of how the iconic photograph of the Iwo Jima flag raising, though an important story, failed to capture the intensity of that battle for the Corps. Iwo was fought, sometimes hand-to-hand on the ground, not back in the United States. Still, "Flags of Our Fathers" was an extremely well-done film.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 02:28 pm
I think I'm finally going to watch Flags Of Our Fathers tonight. Is there a lot of action in it?
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 10:45 pm
Flags of our fathers has about 20 minutes of good action...the rest is about two hours of snooze fest.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 03:15 pm
"Letters for Iwo Jima" was the superior of the two and that's a good reason why it was one of the five nominations for the Oscar. The full voting body of the Academy was unlikely to vote it in to win but it's another good reason to elevate Clint to one of the top ten directors of all time status -- at least, certainly, the top twenty-five.
0 Replies