From Veggies to Meat: Man-Apes become Human

coberst

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 11:48 am
From Veggies to Meat: Man-Apes become human

The "man-apes" of Africa (australopithecines) was first discovered in a 1924 dig. This is considered by anthropologists as being one of the most exciting and enlightening finds of modern anthropology. The man-ape, which was first born perhaps a million years ago, represents the transition point of the transformation from ape to human. From the shuffling vegetarian ape to the upright walking carnivore human, this man-ape creature had the brain one-half the size of the modern human.

Most of what we now consider to be human has resulted from the taste for meat developing in this man-ape creature. Hunting for meat requires hunting in groups, which in turn requires better communication between individuals, which in turn requires better tools and weapons, which in turn requires newer forms of social organization, all of which leads to greater intellectual sophistication.

This greater intellectual sophistication has led this newly evolving species into the development of a much larger brain with the sophisticated reasoning ability of the modern human. Meat eating has made humans of us.

"Man developed away from the apes precisely because he had to hunt meat; and if you want to hunt meat you cannot afford yourself the luxury of baboon behavior."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 601 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 12:10 pm
Re: From Veggies to Meat: Man-Apes become Human
coberst wrote:
Meat eating has made humans of us.

Shouldn't we be more closely related to the great cats and critters like alligators in that case?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 12:40 pm
No, because we are not descendants of cats or alligators...we are descendants of apes, and it makes sense that in large part it was the hunger for meat that caused the transition from ape to human; thus, I agree with Coberst.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 12:41 pm
Actually, Chimpanzees are meat eaters and occasionally go hunting for monkey meat.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 01:15 pm
"carnivorous appetite" is misleading. We are omnivores. We probably always have been (think bugs). And, primates do have social structure.

We learned to communicate with our groups to hunt, tis true. We also learned to communicate better when we settled down to farms.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 01:19 pm
what nick said...Chimps will eat meat when they get the chance.

I'm sure other apes will to.

Bugs, lizards, slugs, snails.

I'm sure if a bird crashed into a tree next to a baboon, he'd have a gnaw.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 01:19 pm
what nick said...Chimps will eat meat when they get the chance.

other apes/monkeys will too.

Bugs, lizards, slugs, snails, eggs,

I'm sure if a bird crashed into a tree next to a baboon, he'd have a gnaw.

Not only that, but they can be cannaibals. Baboons steal the babies of other baboons, I'm sure others do too.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 02:02 pm
the more advanced humans descended from Bears though...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 02:09 pm
i like to eat babies too
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 02:59 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
the more advanced humans descended from Bears though...

I was suckled by wolves as a baby.. which probably explains a lot...
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 03:16 pm
Ernest Becker won the Pulitzer Prize for Nonfiction and was a distinguished social theorist, and a teacher of anthropology, sociology, and social psychology.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 03:52 pm
Well, Ernie somehow missed the bothersome fact that apes eat meat too.
0 Replies