Automatic Word backups

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 04:12 pm
Every so often I find that some Word document has been backed up automatically by Microsoft. I have two questions: Why does this happen, and how can I set it to backup as a default action?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 582 • Replies: 5
No top replies

CDobyns

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 02:57 pm
I can't say for sure why it happens, but would speculate you (or someone) has toggled the automatic back-up function.

The back-up function is accessed through, Tools/Options/Save. Just check the Always Create Back-up Copy box, and Word will always create a file with a .wbk extension for you.

I seem to recall that either Windows or Word will sometimes also create a .tmp file, while the primary Word file is open. Not sure that's considered a terribly reliable way to make a back-up of your document though. I think that's what Word uses when there's system problem and it attempts an Auto Recover of your prior Word document.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:24 pm
Automatic Word backups
Okay, I went there & found that the always save box was checked. But where are these documents saved to? How can I access them?

Thanks.
0 Replies

CDobyns

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 07:42 am
Sorry, this board never sends me an email when something requiring a follow-up is posted.

Going back under Tools, Options, check under File Locations and under File types, I believe that is where Windows will place your automatic backups, using the file extension .wbk. You can access those files just as you would any other .doc file.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 08:31 am
Automatic Word backups
CDobyns: Is your problem that you don't get ANY notifications or that you don't get SOME notifications? If it's the latter, make sure that the note below the bottom of your posts reads "Turn off email updates". If it reads "Turn on email updates" click on it. It's very easy to click on this message accidentally, so check it out. I don't know which is the default , but I've been caught by the Turn ON/Turn OFF more than once; now I've learned to look there automatically.

If this doesn't help, try going to the A2K Help Desk at Home>General>Help. they should have a solution for you.

Now I'm going to try your suggestion. Thanks; I'll let you know if it works.
0 Replies

CDobyns

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 05:56 am
I'd have to say that generally, I don't receive ANY notifications. I've rechecked my profile and I seemed to be defaulted to receiving notifications, so I'm not sure I can explain the lack of notifications. I've recently gone back to my profile and re-designated the Receive notifications checkbox. We'll see how that works out.
0 Replies