convert .wmv file to dvd format

Kepar

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 07:31 pm
I am a teacher. One of my colleagues made a slideshow of her students as an end of the year gift for them. I'm not sure what program she used to create it, but it is saved in .wmv file format. She wants to give each child a copy and wants them to be able to play it in their dvd players through their televisions at home. I tried to help her figure out how to convert the file to a dvd format, but I can't seem to figure it out. Can anyone offer help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 733 • Replies: 5
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 11:27 pm
there is software available, but you have to pay for it. One such program is called "WinAVI". This type of program is called a "video converter".
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 11:35 pm
My DVD player will play wmv format files, with no conversion necessary. Most new players will.
0 Replies

Kepar

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 08:58 am
Thank you both for your advice. I don't mind paying for the software as long as I know it'll do the job. Although the newer players will handle the wmv format, we are not in a wealthy district. I know that she'll be looking for a format that is more universal. You mention WinAvi so I'll assume that's a decent video converter. If you or anyone knows of other good converters, I'd be happy to hear from you.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 09:17 am
Doing file format conversions usually involves going through a lot of crappy software to find something that works (after a lot of trial and error).

But the software is easy to find, just search for "file type to file type".

e.g. http://www.google.com/search?q=wmv%20to%20dvd

I don't know of any particular program that's good for this but whenever I don't I add "guide" to search for write-ups by others who do it often.

e.g. http://www.google.com/search?q=wmv%20to%20dvd%20guide

So I usually find a good "guide" which almost always comes with software recommendations and then search for that software. The good thing about the guides are that they almost always favor free software unless they are written by people trying to sell software (if the software recommended costs money it's generally the latter).

Here is a step-by-step tutorial I found in a few seconds using the above methods (I don't know if it works but it should point you on your way):

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/308223
0 Replies

Kepar

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 09:32 am
Craven,
Thanks for the information. You've given me the final pieces I need to get the job done: using the word 'guide' after the search is awesome. Thanks for that tip. I went to the link you offered and I can see that I'll gain the knowledge I need to do the job as well as the tools.
0 Replies