The Habits of Rabbits

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 05:45 pm
I have a couple of questions if anyone is an expert on rabbits...well, hares...a leveret actually...cowdoc? patiodog? er...dlowan? Anyone?

We have a remote property with a resident young hare (well, more than one and some babies too, but I'm only familiar with one -- the not-at-all-shy one). He appears to have nodules on his ears. Is this some sort of skin disease? Is he possibly trying to self-medicate when he hangs out in the (cold) fire pit nibbling on...well, actually I'm not sure what he's nibbling on...charcoal? Or is he gnawing on the limestone rocks surrounding it? Could some mineral be released by the rocks because of the heat? (I've seen the red squirrels hanging out in there too.) Just curious. (This is my first semi-tame leveret and I have named him Everett -- beer may have had something to do with my rhyming mood...)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,693 • Replies: 21
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 05:55 pm
Cyphercat is keen on rabbits. Oh, and there is one other...
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:16 pm
Tai Chi, you're funny. Smile With the rhyming and whatnot....heeheehee....

Anyhoo, I don't know nuthin when it comes to wild bunnies, sorry! but the least I can do is give you a bump up the page.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:27 pm
Thanks cyphercat! (Actually, after we discovered the baby bunnies we thought Everett might be female. Mr. TC wanted to rename him Evita! But I put a stop to that -- Evelyn, maybe...)

Seriously, folks...any rabbit experts?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:28 pm
The best way to deal with wabbits is to stew 'em, slowly, with marjoram and fennel--really, it tastes great!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:35 pm
Rabbit expert??

Oh hell yea. I just wait'in to use my doctorate in rabbits. I just do drywall to keep me grounded.

(Sorry Chi, Couldn't help it. Now back to the charcoal eating collyflower eared rabbit)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 08:15 pm
Ticks?

Someone get cjhsa.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 01:30 pm
Setanta wrote:
The best way to deal with wabbits is to stew 'em, slowly, with marjoram and fennel--really, it tastes great!

I may resort to this in future if we ever put in a garden 'cause we all know one of the other more notorious habits of rabbits. So two more questions: Do you have a crockpot recipe? And is it just an old wives' tale that you can't eat rabbits in a month without an "r" in the name?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 01:32 pm
Amigo wrote:
Rabbit expert??

Oh hell yea. I just wait'in to use my doctorate in rabbits. I just do drywall to keep me grounded.

(Sorry Chi, Couldn't help it. Now back to the charcoal eating collyflower eared rabbit)

Okay, this made me laugh. And then I got thinking -- yeah, maybe those bumps on Everett's ears are scars from you know, previous multiple piercings or something. I mean, he is a teenager after all. (And a rebel. I've seen him cross the road and he doesn't even LOOK!)
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 01:33 pm
dadpad wrote:
Ticks?

Someone get cjhsa.

Let's not get drastic. Besides, June doesn't have an "r" in it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 03:12 pm
Tai Chi wrote:
Setanta wrote:

I may resort to this in future if we ever put in a garden 'cause we all know one of the other more notorious habits of rabbits. So two more questions: Do you have a crockpot recipe? And is it just an old wives' tale that you can't eat rabbits in a month without an "r" in the name?

Yes, it is an old wives' tale. That actually applies to eating Republicans.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 03:35 pm
Setanta wrote:
Yes, it is an old wives' tale. That actually applies to eating Republicans.

Hang on. Aren't they toxic?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 06:10 pm
It is true that you have to soak them overnight in salt water to leach out the toxins . . . then you might want to marinate them . . .
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 06:15 pm
Setanta wrote:
It is true that you have to soak them overnight in salt water to leach out the toxins . . . then you might want to marinate them . . .

Yeah, I hear they're pretty tough.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 06:24 pm
a family of rabbits has made their house under one of our spruce-trees for years . they aren't afraid of humans or dogs . they'll sometimes bite off the half-open tulips and other choice young greens - i've put bloodmeal on the young shoots and that keeps them away - but bloodmeal is darned expensive - should be entitled to get it for free when we buy beef !
hbg

rabbit checking us out after having had lunch in OUR garden - we were no more than 6 ft away - the nerve- don't get no respect !

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2593/may30murray027rabbitcr6.jpg
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 06:28 pm
Hey, that looks like Everett! Why do you suppose they're so brave, hamburger? We've seen foxes in our neighborhood and I wonder how long our bunnies will last if they don't soon get "street smart".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 06:30 pm
The only fox in Hamburger's neighborhood is his daughter.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 06:31 pm
Setanta wrote:

You dog, you. She's a lucky gal Very Happy
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 06:40 pm
set wrote :

Quote:

i'm sure that fox will grab "a certain wabbitt" by the neck and shake it ! Shocked Laughing
hbg Very Happy
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 06:50 pm
I've never seen nodules on rabbit ears. They do get ear mites, but the only way you would see external signs would be from scratching. That is the most likely scenario I see. As far as the chewing, remember that rodents and lagomorphs have teeth that continually grow, so they need to gnaw on something to wear them down to the point that they can close their mouths. Sorry I'm not more help than that.
0 Replies