I never liked Roger

dlowan

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 01:29 am
roger wrote:
Four to six weeks in the rehab hospital, Walter? I would have gone stir crazy, but I have to admit I was a little bit scared about performing some functions all by myself, but it worked out pretty well. And thanks for the call this evening.

Yes, Deb, Roger is back at work, and he isn't liking it one bit. Ain't hunger a prime Motivator.

Bad cos it's work?

Or cos of the accident stuff?

Shocked
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 06:31 pm
Both, Deb. Right now, sitting is the hardest thing I have to do, and guess what happens at work. Also, I really don't like getting tied down to a schedule, though my hours are pretty flexible right now.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 08:57 pm
Most of us don't want to go to work.

It's a bloody lovely day here - I can tell that from my prison - my cell has a window that doesn't open. Crying or Very sad

Take it easy, Roger - lad!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 01:32 pm
Roger, you could sleep in the RV with us. If Osso comes along, she and I could sleep in one bed and Bob and you in the other. No hanky panky either way...or, I think we have a small tent, which I would love to sleep in as long as there aren't too many snakes or scorpions.

If you can't stay over night with us, I think that road might be too bumpy for you at least for another couple of months.

We'll find a way!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 01:39 pm
(Roger, take the bed close to the door, makes it easier to escape)
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 03:32 pm
Walter! Shame on you, we would all be very nice to Roger. Maybe a few gags, but other than that........
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 03:44 pm
Er, leave me out of this, Diane, much less devise bed arrangements. RV's are your and Dys' thing, and no doubt many other peoples', but not mine. I might explode in one on the road, much less stay in a small one with three people, even three friends; and Chaco is your place, which I'm basically glad to hear about and see photos of.

Were I to visit for a bit in my rental Lamborghini, the one with special tractor tires, I'm sure I could work up a trick or two to play on y'all.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 05:42 pm
Oh Osso, have we failed to inform you that our RV is a Lamborghini at heart?

Ah well, I hear you. Photos will be taken.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 05:50 pm
I ennvy you folks. Chaco Canyon just happens to be one of my very favorite places in the entire world.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 06:58 pm
Well for pity's sake, grab seaglass and come out. We'd love to see you.

Just be sure to rent a rugged car. The road is a washboard, which is the way most of us want it so that only people who are really serious about going there will make the effort.

Many of us will be heartbroken if and when the state decides to 'improve' the road--so many more sightseers will have easy access.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 08:44 pm
Diane wrote:
Well for pity's sake, grab seaglass and come out. We'd love to see you.

Just be sure to rent a rugged car. The road is a washboard, which is the way most of us want it so that only people who are really serious about going there will make the effort.

Many of us will be heartbroken if and when the state decides to 'improve' the road--so many more sightseers will have easy access.

I know that road well. Last time I drove it was in a rented Olds Alero, believe it or not. Gave me a new respect for GM products. Several times I thought I had a flat tire. Got out, looked. No, just the effects of the road and the billowing clouds of dust rising all about us. Have to look out for those cattle guards, too, if you take a wrong turn.

Seaglass was enchanted by a group of Navajo boys driving a small herd of Indian ponies from a corral across the road towards some pasturage. Her biggest disappointment was not being able to snap a picture of that scene. Too much dust for one thing. And by the time she got camera unlimbered and climbed from the car, they were already out of sight, manes flying in the breeze.

I hope to hell they don't 'improve' that road. Too many city slicker tourists clambering over those old ruins now, as it is. I snapped a picture of a particularly interesting rock formation (well, it was interesting to me, anyway). And when the pic was developed and printed, wonder of wonders, I had photographed a ghost. There's a wisp of white quite clearly visible in the developed film which was not visible to the naked eye. Seaglass doesn't smoke and I didn't have a cigarette lit. There was no fog or mist that day, no campfire smoke. So where'd that will o' the wisp come from, huh? You ain't gonna tell me that canyon ain't haunted. And that's fine and as it should be.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 09:10 pm
Let's wait till after labor day. That way, we'll miss the grand opening of McDonalds Chaco.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 11:31 pm
Merry, there's no doubt that Chaco is haunted. Dys was there years ago before the visitor's center was built. It was late fall and he was the only one there. When he got up the next morning, there was a covering of snow and there he was, all alone in all that beauty. It makes me shiver to think of it.

Oh shiht, Roger, don't tell me there will really be a McDonald's near Chaco. Will it be out on the highway? Alright, I admit to being gullible especially about fossilized (what was it, a corn cob?) but McDonald's??? Don't get me started. Keep 'em in Farmington.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 01:44 pm
Right! Fossilized ear of corn.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 06:00 pm
roger wrote:
Let's wait till after labor day. That way, we'll miss the grand opening of McDonalds Chaco.

You jest!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 06:18 pm
littlek wrote:
roger wrote:

You jest!

I certainly hope so.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 07:34 pm
Outside the boundaries of the national monument, of course, but highly visible.

Of course I jest. Not enough traffic to justify even one golden arch. Note, though, that Cuba, NM does finally have it's own McDonalds.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 11:05 pm
Cuba? Man, the ubiquitous McD is like an alien invader, creeping into the smallest towns to destroy their innocence. How close to Chaco is Cuba? It isn't very far is it? Close enough for the trash to make its way down that bumpy road?

I was reading a few days ago, probably in the NYT's, that in Shanghai, fast food joints are considered fine dining. The writer said that he and his wife were turned away from the Shanghai Pizza Hut because they didn't have reservations. Blows the mind.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 07:35 am
Well, Cuba is 100 miles south of here; the Chaco turn off is about 70 miles south. You could stock up on goodies on the way up.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 11:26 am
Roger, I thought of you when I read this article. It could have been written for many of us on a2k who have aged along with loud music--We can't hear anymore!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/12/fashion/12hearing.html?ex=1184904000&en=941001593842eb93&ei=5070
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 06:54:18