Cats...why do they DO it?

dlowan

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 04:50 pm
So...once again I just heard the sound of dreadful, tormented, horrifying caterwauling coming from the balcony, through my bedroom, and, accompanied by a fluffed up, dreadfully ill looking cat, into the computer room where I am.

There she is......she looks as though she is dying......she is screaming at the top of her lungs, she takes up a tormented stance by my feet.....

Then, while still wauling piteously, she begins a terrible coughing and heaving, as though she is bringing up her lungs. The tiny body is racked...the ribs stand out with the effort...it looks as I imagine the last, dying horror of a consumption sufferer must have looked, if unslaked by the blessings of laudanum.

These terrible paroxysms increase in frequency and desperation...reach a height of frenzy and horror....and at last, a few blades of grass and fluid are hawked up onto the carpet.

The fur is smoothed, the terrible noises cease, and a proud, happy, smug and satisfied cat sashays her way out of the room, her job done, as she does every morning.

WHY!!!!!

Ok, cats eat grass.....but this appears to be a torture, a torment, a horror. I have never seen such a horrifying display from any other cat.

And WHY must it always be done where I am?

Is she proud of herself? Is she seeking comfort in her self imposed pain?

WHY????!!!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,634 • Replies: 72
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 05:00 pm
she was yakkin a hairball. Cats cannot digest hair so they yak it up. imagine if the only way you could groom yourself is with your tongue. All that hair gathers into a ball like in the trap of a sink and must be expelled somehow. We use some kinda pasty hairball **** that is an enzyme (Im thinking papayen), The cat then hoks it up and its cool. We try to catch the cat before this happens and toss a newspaper under her. Then toss the hairball and paper into the dumpster. I didnt know you even had grass in Australia. I thought everything was like razorwire and poisonous and hiding places for funnel web spiders..
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 05:04 pm
farmerman wrote:
she was yakkin a hairball. Cats cannot digest hair so they yak it up. imagine if the only way you could groom yourself is with your tongue. All that hair gathers into a ball like in the trap of a sink and must be expelled somehow. We use some kinda pasty hairball **** that is an enzyme (Im thinking papayen), The cat then hoks it up and its cool. We try to catch the cat before this happens and toss a newspaper under her. Then toss the hairball and paper into the dumpster. I didnt know you even had grass in Australia. I thought everything was like razorwire and poisonous and hiding places for funnel web spiders..

Nope.....this was just the quotidian grass chuck.

When she has a furball it's REALLY dramatic.

We don't HAVE funnelwebs where I am.

You appear to be feeling better, she said drily.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 05:10 pm
Silly rabbi
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 05:17 pm
It's a test dlowan. You passed because you did not immediately throttle her. You also failed, because now she knows you are weak and in thrall to her power Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 05:28 pm
I also hate that word "quotidian" its so nimious
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 05:59 pm
My cat doesn't hawk up hairballs, usually. It's most often hairs. Just several. Not in any sort of ball or ball-like clump.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 06:04 pm
will someone explain to me why any rational human being would want to own, keep or otherwise share space with a f**king cat?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 06:06 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
will someone explain to me why any rational human being would want to own, keep or otherwise share space with a f**king cat?

They make good dog food.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 06:09 pm
Thomas wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

They make good dog food.

well... there is that.... and after rigor mortis sets in they make middlin' fair toilet brushes....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 06:11 pm
sallly dog and THE DYS feet

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1209/535318523_c6b19810d8.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 06:16 pm
Now Im stuck with that picture in my mind, THANKS dude.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 07:15 pm
dyslexia wrote:
sallly dog and THE DYS feet

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1209/535318523_c6b19810d8.jpg

Get that ******* dog out of my thread.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 07:20 pm
Cats . . . why do the DO it?

BECAUSE THEY ARE THE SPAWN OF SATAN ! ! !

I've been tellin' ya that for years, but ya never listen . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 07:41 pm
Setanta wrote:
Cats . . . why do the DO it?

BECAUSE THEY ARE THE SPAWN OF SATAN ! ! !

I've been tellin' ya that for years, but ya never listen . . .

You're jealous because you're just a goddam dog.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 09:07 pm
I know exactly what you mean; we haven't even let our cat outside in a couple of weeks because lately she's been eating even MORE grass than usual. The pre-upchuck dramatics have been increasing, too-- I really thought something terrible was happening to her last time! The low, pathetic yowling, the wails of despair... Shocked

As to why, I like Tai Chi's answer Laughing .....but I doubt we'll ever really know; they won't allow it... *sigh*
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 09:28 pm
The cat eats the grass to make itself sick.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 10:24 pm
dadpad wrote:
The cat eats the grass to make itself sick.

Yes dear, I know.

But why the Sarah Bernhardt death scene?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 10:25 pm
cyphercat wrote:
I know exactly what you mean; we haven't even let our cat outside in a couple of weeks because lately she's been eating even MORE grass than usual. The pre-upchuck dramatics have been increasing, too-- I really thought something terrible was happening to her last time! The low, pathetic yowling, the wails of despair... Shocked

As to why, I like Tai Chi's answer Laughing .....but I doubt we'll ever really know; they won't allow it... *sigh*

Oh, at last!

Someone else's cat is a drama whore!

I have never seen such dramatics in any cat before this one.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 10:27 pm
farmerman wrote:
I also hate that word "quotidian" its so nimious

You think you're smart, don't you Baldrick?
0 Replies