Maybe;
it depends on the circumstances.

As an individualist, most of the time,
I do what I dam well please.
David
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 06:42 pm
Jocularity is the cornerstone of kindness thus certain conclusions appear inevitable (hee hee).
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 06:46 pm
Chumly wrote:
Jocularity is the cornerstone of kindness
thus certain conclusions appear inevitable (hee hee).

Kindness can be executed without humor,
e.g., giving someone an unexpected $100.oo.

Humor can be, and has been, used as a weapon.
David
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 06:56 pm
You should execute without humor for kindness unexpectedly as a weapon while giving someone $100 obo.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 09:26 pm
Chumly wrote:
You should execute without humor for kindness unexpectedly as a weapon while giving someone $100 obo.

This is uninteligible.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 09:36 pm
"Open the pod bay doors, please, HAL"
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 09:56 pm
Chumly wrote:
"Open the pod bay doors, please, HAL"
very good chumly.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 02:28 am
Bullshit in philosophy wrote:
In his 1986 essay On Bullshit, philosopher Harry Frankfurt of Princeton University characterizes bullshit as a form of falsehood distinct from lying. The liar, Frankfurt holds, knows and cares about the truth, but deliberately sets out to mislead instead of telling the truth. The bullshitter, on the other hand, does not care about the truth and is only seeking to impress:

It is impossible for someone to lie unless he thinks he knows the truth. Producing bullshit requires no such conviction. A person who lies is thereby responding to the truth, and he is to that extent respectful of it. When an honest man speaks, he says only what he believes to be true; and for the liar, it is correspondingly indispensable that he considers his statements to be false. For the bullshitter, however, all these bets are off: he is neither on the side of the true nor on the side of the false. His eye is not on the facts at all, as the eyes of the honest man and of the liar are, except insofar as they may be pertinent to his interest in getting away with what he says. He does not care whether the things he says describe reality correctly. He just picks them out, or makes them up, to suit his purpose. [1] [2]

Frankfurt connects this analysis of bullshit with Ludwig Wittgenstein's disdain of "non-sense" talk, and with the popular concept of a "bull session" in which speakers may try out unusual views without commitment. He fixes the blame for the prevalence of bullshit in modern society upon anti-realism and upon the growing frequency of situations in which people are expected to speak or have opinions without knowing what they're talking about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullshit
0 Replies

gnodde

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 09:37 am
kindness
Is kindness inherent? Well even people in prison show some sort of kindness toward each other but that may be because there is an alternative motive. Children show kindness only when they want something. My father said to me that in the whole world there are kind and unkind people and if you add up all the kind and minus all the unkind there probably be one or two people left. The only thing is....which direction?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 04:16 pm
Sometimes, being kind to people u like can be FUN.

Sometimes, being kind to strangers who don t expect it,
can be fun; not always.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 08:19 pm
Gnodde asks if kindness is inherent. I would like to label myself a Hedonistic Altruist to the extent that when I do act kindly I do so because it feels good. And the pursuit of pleasure does seem to be inherent in most people.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 03:28 pm
What about when you see a need that you then try to address even it's at the cost of some hardship to yourself? Do you then ignore that need, because it won't be a pleasurable experience for you?

A lot of time kindness involves a certain amount of sacrifice that would tend to override the effect of any of the positive endorphins released by feeling smug or proud of yourself for doing the right thing.

I don't know, I've just found that the more intense pleasures to be found don't necessarily or even usually involve what would typically be considered "kind" acts. If I'm after pleasure, I go for pleasure, and not usually by way of kindness. I see my hedonism and my altruism as being distinct and separate from each other- usually - anyway.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 03:39 pm
Well, it seems, R, that I overstated my position. Pleasure in the physical sense (i.e., enjoying endorphins) is not what I was referring to. Instead of "Hedonistic Altruism" I probably should have said "Egoistic Altruism." A kindness that involves personal sacrifice will proably give me more ego-gratification than would a kindness involving little or no sacrifice.
Now a buddhistic form of "kindness" would have little to do with egoism of this sort. The kindness would be driven by compassion or empathy, i.e., the identification with another. I guess that might be considered egoism once removed.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 03:58 pm
JL-That makes it more clear to me- I get it- thanks.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 02:42 am
JLNobody wrote:
The kindness would be driven by compassion or empathy, i.e., the identification with another. I guess that might be considered egoism once removed.

would you mind telling me what you think on that?

- just interested (and maybe a bit thick)
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 01:06 pm
If I identify with another and for that reason want to benefit him/her that is like wanting to benefit myself. Compassion (qua empathy) expands the self to include others. It is still egoism but once removed, i.e., I do it for myself but my Self includes the other. Just a perspective.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 02:28 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Well, it seems, R, that I overstated my position. Pleasure in the physical sense (i.e., enjoying endorphins) is not what I was referring to. Instead of "Hedonistic Altruism" I probably should have said "Egoistic Altruism." A kindness that involves personal sacrifice will proably give me more ego-gratification than would a kindness involving little or no sacrifice.
Now a buddhistic form of "kindness" would have little to do with egoism of this sort. The kindness would be driven by compassion or empathy, i.e., the identification with another. I guess that might be considered egoism once removed.

Compassion or empathy driven kindness is no different -- it is also driven by ego-gratification!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 06:29 pm
stuh505 wrote:
JLNobody wrote:

Compassion or empathy driven kindness is no different --
it is also driven by ego-gratification!

Well said !
The degree of kindness that I acquire for myself
does not increase nor diminish the kindness that I have bestowed upon others.

The degree to which kindness has been generated
can only be measured by the magnitude of joy with which it is accepted.
David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 06:34 pm
Ideally, the BEST kindness
is such that causes a lot of joy in the recipient,
and causes much GREATER delight in the donor.

Is this disputed ?

David
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 09:09 pm
I would consider it a kindness not to have to squint at your loud ass posts.
0 Replies