Suggestions on a hypothesis for a research paper

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 07:43 pm
I am writing my paper on the increase of banning an american pet
The pet being pit bulls
Does anyone have any suggetions on writing a hypothesis for this paper?
Please I need help
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,421 • Replies: 7
No top replies

parados

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 08:06 pm
Since you already have a topic, I would suggest researching the topic which will be more likely to lead to an hypothesis than asking people that aren't versed in that topic.

But if you really need an hypothesis I might suggest - Pit bulls are being banned because city councils are realizing that hooved animals shouldn't be kept in their city.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 02:26 am
What a sad thing, such blind prejudice! After pits are gone, what happens when they start fighting another breed of dog? ban that too? FFS you can make poodles fight each other! The focus needs to be on animal abuse, which is what leads to the events which give these beautiful dogs their bad name in the first place, dog fighting.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 07:53 am
Is this paper for high school, college, or graduate school? Depending on the level (depth) of the paper your hypothesis could be as simple as, "Incident rates of pit bull banning by community governments are increasing" to more in-depth analysis such as, "Pit bull attacks result in wide-scale banning ordinances beyond the locality involved."

The first is a simple look at the number of ordinances passed over time and the second looks at the wider impact of an incident and the reaction beyond the local community.
0 Replies

BDoug

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 11:24 am
Concerning writing a hypothesis you first need to decide what the paper is about...i.e. banning pit bulls is good for society or bad for society, banning is good for the animal or detrimental, etc etc. Then prove or disprove it.

Concerning the topic itself, the practice of banning pit bulls is wrong and misguided. While larger dogs such as pit bulls and rottweilers have a larger percentage of fatal and/or serious cases of attacks, its actually smaller dogs that bite more often. Its just their bites are less serious and thus underreported and less likely to be sensationalized in the media.

What we need to address is the issue of handlers and treatment of dogs. Often pit bulls and rottweilers are trained/bred for dog fighting or protection(personal/property). So in essence we're penalizing the dog for what it was bred to do. We need stronger laws concerning breeding and handling all dogs and stiffer penalties for persons that engage in illegal dog fighting and irresponsible handling. (i.e. leaving your guard dog unleashed)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 11:29 am
I wouldn't think to tell you what your thesis should be. However, i do believe that if you can inform yourself well on the topic, you might be better equipped to decide what you will write about. So i recommend that you click on the link below, which will provide you lots of information on dog bites:

Dog Bite Law

The site is maintained by a personal injury lawyer in Los Angeles. Not only does he provide a lot of information--on the home page is a link which is entitled "Links" which will help you find a lot more information.

So, for example, he has information which confirms BDoug's contention that although rottweilers and pitbulls are implicated overwhelmingly in fatal dog attacks, they are much less likely to attack than other breeds.

Good luck.
0 Replies

BDoug

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 11:35 am
Thanks Setanta for the back up....
0 Replies

greeniiz10

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 09:02 am
Thank you
Thank you to all!

You have all gave me great examples to work with. I greatly appreciate all the advice I can get.

I recently decided to go to college at the age of 32, and since I have been out of school since I was 16, it has been a little difficult in understanding a few things.

So thank you again for all your help
0 Replies