Relative age and its possible importance in education

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 05:29 pm
Will not quote just part of the article - the whole thing is interesting; won't quote whole thing, as it's several NYT 'pages' long.

LINK to long and (to me) fascinating NYT article on this subject

We've talked about some of this before on a2k. Education is not at all my field, but I'm riveted by potential differences in people's lives having been arguably due, if only in part, to birth date.

I've my own odd solution for some of the quandaries posed in the article, but will wait to hear what other folks have to say.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,432 • Replies: 13
No top replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 05:56 pm
That is interesting...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 06:07 pm
It is. I didn't read the article (I'm bad). But, I know that if kids get too frustrated with school they can tune out - obviously. I started early. My birthday is at the end of december and the school I went to cut off the age at the end of the calendar year. I graduated from high school at 17 (and a half). There was talk of holding me back in 6th grade. I resisted and my mother had me go on with my peers. But, I think it might have been better had I stayed behind. Hard telling not knowing.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 06:14 pm
I wonder too... I'm a halloween time baby.

I liked the article for its grasp of pros and cons.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 06:26 pm
I was born on Valentines day and graduated high school at 16. Not sure how this fits the profiles. Interesting read.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 06:30 pm
Thanks, Osso, I read that one with great interest and was thinking of posting, too.

It's the first time I remember seeing, with facts + figures, my oft-repeated assertion that kindergarten is the new first grade. And the part about how preschool takes on more importance in that context, since it has become the new kindergarten.

I think it maybe over-emphasized that every "redshirt" does well relative to his/ her peers. There is a redshirt in sozlet's class who is academically in the middle of the pack, maybe a bit lower. She's big but she's not particularly coordinated. Maybe she'll be a softball star when she's in high school, dunno.

But in general (and I know the article was talking about generalities/ trends/ averages), the smartest kids in sozlet's class are the oldest ones. The top 4 readers are the first 4 birthdays of the school year. Etc.

Anyway, interesting article with a lot of interesting implications. I think that at the very least there should be universal free preschool, if kindergarten is going to stay the new first grade.

(Scattershot comments, just here for a minute, more to say but will leave it at that.)
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 08:48 pm
Bookmarking
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 11:10 am
I've been thinking about this a lot too. I had the idea (probably logistically impossible) that we should have staggered school years. Kids could start in the fall if their birthday fell between say January and June, and could start in the spring if it fell in the remaining months. A lot can happen in six months of a child's life.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 12:42 pm
FreeDuck--

This is the system in England. A child starts school (Infant Class) the term in which he turns five.

This is also easier on the teacher who always has a cadre of seasoned students in the classroom.

As for academics, the British Infant School is devoted to individual learning according to that individual's capacity.
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 09:35 pm
Thanks Osso,
I have this dilemma too. My Son is Nov 9th birth. Entered KG before 5th Birthday because it was a private Montessori and they believed he will do well. I have thought about the issue multiple times. HE is in 3rd grade before 8th birthday. Best reader in class Finishing HArry Potter and the order of Pheonix as we speak but looks like a Kindergartener. I some times see some motor activity, impulsiveness and think it is related to his physical age. All kids in his class are on an average atleast 7-9 months to an year older and look even bigger because he is small to medium . Social, and emotional maturity are not an issue either. I asked last week " why did you give candy to your 3 yr old sister?" Answered " Well Mom, I had promised her. What do you think is better Her eating candy once or me breaking a promise.

If I hold him back this year It would be not Redshirting, it would be bringing him closer in physical age to his peers. I believe his teacher would probably object to holding him back
.So My question is should I hold him back or even try so he could look more like his peers and would that lead to any added security for him fro mbullying and such. ALso I worry about Middle school years when Curriculum gets harder, I do not want him to feel challenged then.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 10:05 am
DrMom--

What does your son want to do? What does his teacher want to do?
Is your son being bullied now?

I think holding your son back would be a great mistake.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 10:14 am
That's what I tend to think, too.

It seems like it's a decision to make before the kid starts kindergarten rather than after. That's what "redshirting" refers to, I'm pretty sure -- keeping a 5-year-old in preschool for an extra year before sending him or her to kindergarten (so that the child is 6 when he or she starts kindergarten). Doing it midstream, so to speak, carries a whole bunch of extra issues. (Leaving one's peer group, stigma, etc.)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 02:45 pm
I wouldn't hold him back. He's functioning well academically now, and there's every reason to think he will continue to do so. No matter how you explain it to him, on some level he might interpret it as a failure that he was held back. Or his friends will.

Besides, kids grow at funny rates. You never know what will happen, or how fast...especially in middle school. Then it gets really unpredictable for boys. Some grow steadily, and some spring up to 6' tall seemingly overnight. Some boys' voices will change in 6th grade, some in 9th. The heights in the same class can be a foot different. I'm teaching those ages now, and those boys have come back from a weekend a full inch taller! One started last year as the smallest in his class. This fall, he's perfectly average. Who knows where he'll be in another year.
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 11:04 pm
Quote:
What does your son want to do?
I have not asked him yet . IT was a preliminary thought. He takes pride in the fact that he is in 3rd grade before 8th birthday but then I might have something to do with instilling that. He is in this mixed age class room witjh 1st 2nd and 3rd graders. There are only 3 3rd graders, fortunately the other one is the same build and third is a girl who is never mentioned. I will have to meet he r when I start volunteering.
What does his teacher want to do?
Quote:

Teacher is new and I like her extremely well ,very young (20's) I believe, who taught traditional school and then took special training req for Montessori teaching. So far she thinks he is doing Ok. Last year teacher had some concerns. Mainly that he is not achieving his full potential. He can do his work but then starts nosing around and "Friends" are misisng recess because of him. She would always say HE is SOOOOOO smart though, I can't find a book hard enough for him to read. Went to Principal's office once last year. That was the first year for that teacher teaching these grades. She taught in private preschools Montessori before. I had sucha rough year with my grief and job that I was very absent emotionally. He was in extended day because I was never done before 6-7. We had moved for this job of mine and the adjustment was taking it's toll. So partly it is my deep inner guilt which makes me want to turn the page backward and start over. Also the fact that we have NAtion's number one Hischool and if he stays in this Magnert system he will end up there. That being said the IB program in that hi school tend to be academically a year or two ahead and at that time it can be too much for a child too young? (Noddy please don't yell at me and mention fancy mole hills or wahtever for being neurotic about his education, I am )
Quote:
Is your son being bullied now?

No. It is too early . This is a Public school for which I drive him 25 minute one way. Means I spen 110 min in car but it is so worth it plus there is no other time to listen to my favorite NPR.

Now it is a relief that Sozobe who studied education still believe in Public. I could afford private but I am not convinced yet that it is better. The only complaint I have had with the school is this is this. According to Maria Montessori 6-9 yr old stay in one class with one teacher. THis is his 3rd year with a third teacher and second class room. His best friend from last year also got moved to another class room. This kid's positivity amazes me though although deeply saddened He goes, H and S were my only friends I wish H was still there but htere is one good thing now I will get to know S better. S is a child who alternates between Mom and dad weekly. He is a good boy and has shared things like My Mom and Dad got married too early thatt is why they divorced. This has led to many difficult questions for Me on the way home. Sometimes I just want to say " I have not studied that yet .Talk to me after my trip to the Library(or A2K for that matter )" I plan on getting to know S better and strengthening their relationship.
Sorry for the Long winded answer but I can't thank every one enough for theit advice. I am not thinking holding back at least for now.
0 Replies