Being Libeled byan Adminstrator of an Internet Forum

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 07:37 am
I got into a feud with the administrator/owner of another forum, she banned me then posted defamatory and false accusations against me, she has refused to remove the post.

I am wondering what my options are.

She is located in LA, I am in SF.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,436 • Replies: 14
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 07:41 am
I get banned from sites all the time. Just roll with it -- there are plenty more sites out there.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 07:52 am
I think that your three best options are to get over yourself... It's just the internet.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 07:54 am
I agree with Gus and L.T. Move on. It just isn't that important.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 08:05 am
NO!
I say we roll on over to this so called forum and TAKE THIS BITCH DOWN!!!

Lets do it NOW!!! Strike while the blood is hot. No prisoners, no questions no answers.

We dont cut and run here at A2K

I trust the rest of A2K to support our sister in her time of need.

aaahhhh....Mountain top ....errrm promised land........ fight them on the beaches yeah all that kinda stuff.

all right I have to go to bed now but I'll be there to relieve you guys in the morning
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 09:05 am
I like your style, dadpad.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 09:11 am
Stray Cat wrote:
I like your style, dadpad.

You and me baby, we aint nothin but mammals.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 09:32 am
Re: Being Libeled byan Adminstrator of an Internet Forum
Roxxxanne wrote:
I got into a feud with the administrator/owner of another forum, she banned me then posted defamatory and false accusations against me, she has refused to remove the post.

I am wondering what my options are.

She is located in LA, I am in SF.

I'm guessing that she made these comments in regard to a screen name you use? not your real name? You don't have any options but to move on.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 06:36 pm
She is posting some very severe stuff saying that I am deranged and she has posted my actual legal name. People at other forums are linking the defamation on other forums. She is damaging my reputation substantially.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 08:22 pm
Really?

Where?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 05:31 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
She is posting some very severe stuff saying that I am deranged and she has posted my actual legal name. People at other forums are linking the defamation on other forums. She is damaging my reputation substantially.

And you are continuing the gossip by posting what you have on A2K. Therefore even MORE people know what you are going through.

What do you mean by "damaging your reputation"? Does it really matter what people on an internet blog think of you? Your friends will still be your friends..........the others don't matter.

The newspapers stopped writing even about Paris Hilton after awhile. If you don't continue this yourself, it will die down.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 05:43 am
It doesn't matter what they say about you as long as they're talking about you........that's my philosophy...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:55 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
It doesn't matter what they say about you as long as they're talking about you........that's my philosophy...

Who in hell listens to bears?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 08:39 am
First of all, defamation is defamation,* whether it's in a newspaper or a television show or the internet. If someone is defaming you, then it's a tort and you can sue for damages.

The question, then, is: have you suffered any damages? And not just damages to your peace of mind or on-line reputation, but real money damages? If not, you can still sue if the person has accused you of any of the following: (1) dishonesty in your trade or profession; (2) having a loathsome or communicable disease; (3) the commission of a crime; or (4) want of chastity. If you have been falsely accused of any of those, then you can sue for defamation per se (those accusations are considered so damaging to one's reputation that proof of actual damages is unnecessary).

So, the short answer to the question "can I do anything about that?" is "maybe, depending upon the circumstances." As for the question, "is it worth doing anything about that?" -- that's something else entirely.

*Many states have done away with the slander/libel distinction and now classify both as "defamation."
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 09:44 am
dlowan wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Who in hell listens to bears?

loppy eared bear toilet paper apparently...
0 Replies