The Last Thing You Put In Your Mouth....

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 09:38 pm
bump
farmerman

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 10:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
you pobably cant grow rhubarb near Houston. It needs a 4 week (minimum) solid ground freeze to stratify for spring bloom.
You aint missing anything.
Id just eat the strawbrries . I usd to us a lot of the acid thats in rhubarb when we would clean iron oxie stains from zircon crystals in order to accurately do isotope dating of the zircons. It gives off a rank smell(even in a lab hood) .OY that smell reminded so much of rhubarb so I learned to really hate that stuff. But a neighbor brought a pie over and we all dismasked and ate pie and drank iced coffee at safe distances apart by our picnic table. It was impolite to gag.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 10:59 pm
@farmerman,
The strawberries they are offering us are hard and not ripe. I quit buying them. - Another thing, used to be you could sprout an avocado seed and try to do something with it. The ones we are getting are picked too soon to allow the seeds to mature. I have tried to sprout the last three seeds and they don't respond.
farmerman

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 11:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
when I lived in California they had some of the Godawfullest worst dam strawbwrries on the planet. THEY picked em by weight, not flavor. Theyd pi em justas they started to turn white then theyd shoot em uup with ethylened gas until they git red and then theyd sell em in the groceries. TAstesd like wet cardboard. Around here all the farmers who gro strawberries pick em Frseh and when they are deep red. They are huge, sweet and juicy. They sells em at roadside stands so we have about a 3 to 4 week "Strawberry season" when everybody just pigs out and they hold strawberry n ice cream festivals(not this year though). By the end of June we are sick of the damn things.

Supermarkets around here have figured it out. From the end of May and through the second last week in June, nos supermarket carries strawberries, and they dont start selling any in large volumes till about September when folks start thinking of strawberries dippled in chocolate malt or caramel.
After strawberry "season" we have sour and sweet cherries (NOT AS GOOD AS MICHIGAN OR WASHINGTON STATE) but they are still good enugh, Then its raspberry or blackberry, then blue berrys, service berries, huckle berries , then peaches and gooseberries.
Penn State puts out a local produce date "Calendar" where we can learn earliest availablity dates for fresh local fruits and produce.

NOW SWEET CORN. Thats another story. Thats an example of "INTELLIGENT DESIGN" because we have sweet corn available ALL SUMMER LONG. Sweet corn is now a designer grain. You can pick a cob and itll stay sweet and juicy for 4 or 5 days. (I recall, as a kid, my mom would boil a big pot of water with some sugar in it and me and dad would pick and husk the corn and run it into the kitchen to boil it up. Back then (only 50 years ago ), corn was amazingly perishable and got really chalky and mealy tasting after a day in the fridge "keeper drawers'. If you couldnt eat it right out of the patch, you were missing a great treat. Today, everybody can have sweet , tender, juicy, crisp sweet corn with butter.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 07:59 am
We buy locally grown corn and mostly it has been great. The farmer's market in Tomball has enough stories about some vendors selling supermarket veggies for fresh from the farm that I don't go there. But a local supermarket generally has good enough stuff for me. It's not merely great; it's good enough.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 08:41 am
toothpaste

want tea but it's too hot
don't want iced tea but need caffeine

considering options
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 09:09 am
@ehBeth,
Chai tea that's been sitting behind me for a bit (so it's slightly cooler than room temperature due to my bedroom fan and the weird air circulation pattern on my bedroom)
ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 09:23 am
@tsarstepan,
hmmm there's an idea

maybe some green chai would hit the right spot
0 Replies

Lucyloop

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2020 10:00 am
@Dorothy Parker,
Pizza Pepperoni ❤
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2020 01:40 pm
@Lucyloop,
Bottle of Stella Artois cider, (imbibing the liquid, not ingesting the bottle)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 04:20 pm
@farmerman,
One piece of salt water taffee to celebrate father's day.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 05:25 pm
Fresh garden pod peas served in a garlic butter sauce. She made some steaks but the fresh peas were killers. Got a zoom conversation with sonny and his family. Fathers day is a happy -sad occasion , but we still show a happy face in memory of our daughter. She was a holiday NUTball. Im lucky we werent Hindu as they have some kind of holiday every day
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2020 03:37 pm
Cream cheese and raw onion sandwich...

...rinsed down with coffee with half and half...

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2020 04:26 pm
A apple (green)
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 03:02 pm
A sandwich of some sort. It was on focaccia bread. it had some tomato, some mesclun, a cheese and some kind of meat. Due to who knows why, I forgot the type of meat and cheese during the time between ordering and eating. It was quite good,whatever it was called.
chai2

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 03:44 pm
@Sturgis,
pozole. really good. just the right amount of heat.

https://hispanickitchen-nglmedia.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Pozole-de-Garbanzo_1500-700x500.jpg
Sturgis

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 04:48 pm
@chai2,
Sounds awesome! Lookss delicious!

I must admit to having had to look up 'pozole' since I wasn't familiar with it.
chai2

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 05:38 pm
@Sturgis,
Was only able to eat half of it.

Looks like I know what lunch will be tomorrow.

Came from this whole in the wall place. I find places like that tend to have the best food.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 02:33 pm
@chai2,
Carrots.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 09:07 am
Glue on the back of a stamp. Embarrassed
0 Replies