League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

quinn1

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 09:13 pm
I thought this film was going to be at least interesting, or perhaps even fun to spend time in.
I was greatly disappointed!
The question at hand is:
Did Mr. Connery or anyone else see this before letting it out to the public?

It could have been much better, it was an interesting concept, it had some decent talent....it all fell apart.

I dont even think a kid could enjoy it.

Did anyone else have the same experience?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,187 • Replies: 8
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 12:02 pm
I haven't seen it although I thought it would have been fun. My former boyfriend saw it and was unimpressed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 12:41 pm
The posters at two other forums I haunt are ranting and raving about the misery of this film. The only person who admitted to liking it was a woman who was on her first trip out of the house without her baby in about 8 months. She admitted she would have liked anything. Now there's a review to go by!

I'll take this opportunity (no, i'll grab it!) to say I loved Pirates of the Caribbean. Expected to dislike it - LOVED LOVED LOVED it! Johnny Depp ! Swashbuckling ! Adventure ! Geoffrey Rush! Orlando Bloom ! (though I had no idea who he was before). Good actors. Good acting. Fun Fun Fun!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 12:44 pm
ehBeth, that's the second rave I've seen today. I didn't expect much from a movie based on a ride at Disneyworld. Shocked It's showing with open captions and I think I'm gonna have to see it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 12:54 pm
I saw the trailers of LoEG. and, from their displays, the biggest scenes involved explosions (always a good tip- as Dave Barry said "The awfulness of a movie is directly proportional to the number of helicopters therein")

I have my entire family all revved up to go see SEABISCUIT. Tell ya the truth, the trailers all raced through moments of -Now Im not making this up--DIALOGUE
0 Replies

Miss Carrol

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 01:03 pm
Seabiscuit
I saw a new trailer of "Seabiscuit" yesterday that made me lose some of the anticipation I was feeling. One of the most dramatic aspects of this incredible story is the success of jockey Red Pollard, despite his blindness in one eye. But no one KNEW of this blindness except his family until after his death, and if those involved with his riding career had known, they would not have been able to allow him to ride.

I saw a snippet in the preview that indicated Red revealing this to someone at the stables, and someone else telling Seabiscuit's owner or trainer about it! Yikes! Add to that the fact that the movie totally excised the existence of Bing Crosby in the story, and I am beginning to think maybe I should just stick with my tremendous admiration for this book and not ruin it by going to see the film.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 05:47 pm
Ouch! Looks like League isn't even worth a second run viewing. I saw Sean Connery on The Early Show and he said he had turned the movie down when it was first offered as he isn't fond of special effects films and that the growth of special effects contributed to his not wanting to play Bond anymore.

Everyone seems to like Pirates. Depp is an interesting actor. So is Rush. Besides Lord of the Rings, I haven't seen Orlando Bloom in anything. Wonder if that is his real name and if his mother is a Virginia Woolf fan?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 05:54 pm
Not a terrible box office but beat out royally by "Bad Boys II," an equally poorly reviewed movie. Watch it on HBO some day if I have nothing better to do and I can shut it off part way through without losing the almost $10.00 FOR ADMISSION!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 05:54 pm
Glad to hear Pirates is getting good reviews..I really was hoping it would be a good one...whew.

Make that a BIG WHEW after LOEG!!!!!!

You know, there was so much wrong with that film that I couldnt even laugh at it or just smerk it off....if you want to know how bad I think it was...Id watch the Fast and The Furious endlessly rather than watch that again..and I think that was horrid. However, I could at least laugh at that.
0 Replies