Any clue of a decent quality, easy to use digital camera?

Fedral

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 09:12 am
Hey all,

I hope y'all can help me out.

First let me say the following:

1) I am not a camera person. Most pictures I have taken in the past have been with the old Instamatic or disposable cameras.

2) I am not the most tech savy person in the world. I even bring my computer the techs here in work when I need a new hard drive or my video card changed out.

3) I am color blind, so a lot of high tech features on many cameras are completely lost on me.

That being said, I am looking to purchase a decent quality, reliable, but not overly complex digital camera.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a brand/model or hints about using one?

Even warnings of types to stay away from would be helpful.

Thanks in advance. Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,445 • Replies: 52
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 09:40 am
I love the Canon S3-IS.

12x optical zoom, image stabalization, facial recognition.

640x320 video, take stills during video.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 09:43 am
I like Canon too, and they're easy to use.
I have a Canon Powershot SD600 - it is small, handy and works perfectly
for everyday pictures.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 09:57 am
I just bought the Canon PowerShot S3 IS
I haven't read the manual yet but have already taken pictures.
It seems to be easy to use so far. It fits in my hand real easy and it is lightweight.
I can give you a link to a picture I just recently took with it so you can see the quality.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 10:07 am
I love my Canon Elph.

Elph 7.1
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 10:09 am
Here are the links but keep in mind I am just learning how to use it.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2653288#2653288
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2652336#2652336
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2647910#2647910
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 10:11 am
That sort of question is easy to answer, but requires you to reply with your price range and the size of the prints that you would be likely to want to print. How about whether or not have you even touched any digicams or cameras at all?

You can spend as little as $150--and got something of decent quality that just takes decent quality 4x6 in prints,..are spend $350-$400 and get one that makes great 8x10s.

FYI, the larger the pixel count, the greater the abilitythere is to make larger, clearer better color enlargements.

FYI, My reply (and background) is based on industry digicam sales and personal experience both in selling digicams at retail level and as a prof photographer who owned them.

Also, you will need to handle a few of the cameras FIRST before you buy and see how it fits your hands and how easy you find the layout of the menus.

I strongly suggest that you read Consumer Reports issue on digital cameras. Ninety percent of what you need to know is covered there and it provides a good primer on how to buy.

These are the brands of digicams I would suggest that you FIRST look at (others are good...but these are the best values and most dependable):

Canon (most easy to use menu) sureshot models
SD 200, 300, 400, 450, (size of a credit card) and 600 (bit larger) are all good
A610

Nikon (good menu)

Olympus (easy to use menu)

Pentax Optio S6 and others in their line

FujiFinepix F30 and others in their line

I'd be remiss to not write about Digicam SLRs, but that (for the most part) requires that you change lenses, but still has the option of keeping things simple, too. That might be more involved than you want to get. However, they can make high quality 8x10s, have more versatility and are for the more serious enthusiast. some don't need to change lenses as they have built in zooms, but have a form factor (profile or footprint) that are much larger than ones I listed above.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 10:16 am
Sorry Fedral, I was editing my post to ask if you have a price range in mind. Ragman beat me to it so I had to make a new post.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 10:24 am
i have a canon a-80, I hate it because it's not perfect.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 10:44 am
dyslexia wrote:

You are my own personal Jesus.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 10:57 am
DrewDad wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

You are my own personal Jesus.
Yes, I know, I walk on water and I can raise the dead.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:12 am
WOW,

I never expected that many replies that quickly.

I appreciate everyone's advice.

As to the money issue, I would like to spend between 150 and 250 dollars maximum. (I dont really want to pay for features that I'll never use.)

If I can get something decent for that price, I'll be a happy camper.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:24 am
I will look and see what I paid for mine and get back to you on that.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:35 am
Consumer Reports Info on "how to buy a digital camera:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/digital-cameras/reports/how-to-choose/index.htm

A link to a forum on point-and-shoot digicameras that describe exactly what info you are looking for:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/forum?topic_id=1841

For starters, look for a P&S digicam wirh an LCD display at least 2 in. as the 1.8 inches is a tiny bit small. Maske it easier on your eyes. the one's I lsit here are 2.0 in or more:

Canon SD1000 is around $200-230 (at B&H) when discounted and would be a good choice..as would a dozen others.

Canon A550 ~$210 (at B&H photo ..(best mail-order camera store online)

Canon A460 ~ $200

Nikon Coolpix L5. ~ $200

Again you need to read the buying guide..and handle some cameras in order to narrow them down. Ease of use of menu is your high priority..and your response to this issue will be very individual to you.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:47 am
Thanks so much Ragman for the links and the advice.

Thanks also to all the others as well.

It looks as if I have some reading/research to do.

If I can narrow it down to a couple of choices, I'll be back to ask if anyone has any practical experience with any of my finalists.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:02 pm
FYI, info on Canon PowerShot S3 IS Digital Camera:

Currently, at discount sells for $300. However, it is a larger P&S and 12x optical megazoom, and has image stabilizing software that reduces the effects of camera shake with sports, faster action, or existing light shots.
It has 2.0 in vari-angle LCD, but IMHO, is over-kill for your listed requirements and is a bit beyond the price range (150-$250) that you list.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:06 pm
TTH wrote:
I will look and see what I paid for mine and get back to you on that.

Mine cost $400

I tried to get it at a better price on the net but I had a time restraint due to having to leave town. Otherwise I wanted one ASAP.

What was important to me was the image stabilization feature, the bigger lens, the view finder, pixel count and the batteries it uses. The camera has a lot more features than I will use so I guess you have to decide what is most important to you when you buy one.

Ragman listed a bunch of good choices. Personally I think the Canon is the best.

Good luck with what you decide.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:09 pm
Ragman wrote:
FYI, info on Canon PowerShot S3 IS Digital Camera:

Currently, at discount sells for $300. However, it is a larger P&S and 12x optical megazoom, and has image stabilizing software that reduces the effects of camera shake with sports, faster action, or existing light shots.
It has 2.0 in vari-angle LCD, but IMHO, is over-kill for your listed requirements and is a bit beyond the price range (150-$250) that you list.

I should just call you the camera guy Cool
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:28 pm
TTH, OK..I've been called that before. LOL

Furthermore, Canon PowerShot S3 IS is a good camera for certain (maybe more advanced uses) users, it has a larger form factor (size footprint) and some pricier features.

some issues that I consider important are things like size/weight, type of body (and startup time and shutter lag):

For physical comparison, Canon PowerShot S3 IS Digital Camera

Price : $300 at discount
Weight: 14.5 oz (without batteries)
Size: 3.1 in x 4.5 in x 3.0 in
Initial start-up time: 2.3 seconds (tad slow by current standards).
Shutter lag: unlisted

As an example, Canon PS A570:
Price: $207 (discount)
Weight: 6.2 oz w/o batt.
Size: 2.5 in x 3.5 in x 1.7 in
Shutter lag and startup time: unlisted
Zoom: 4x optical
Image Stabilization program: Yes
Display: 2.5 in LCD
Resolution: 7.1 mpix
Closest focus: 2.0 inches (macro)
Fast Action; cont. burst 1.7 frames/second
Self-timer: yes
No time date stamp
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:43 pm
Just my experience with the Nikon CoolPix....
I hated it. Had it for a day, tried taking various pictures and took it back.

It was really hard to focus. Maybe I had a bunk one but you have to be a statue to take good pictures.
0 Replies