Any clue of a decent quality, easy to use digital camera?

Ragman

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:45 pm
repost..with more info
{Oops...had to repost this again with more info as I was in edit mode when another post came in between)

Furthermore, Canon PowerShot S3 IS is a good camera for certain (maybe more advanced uses) users, it has a larger form factor (size footprint) and some pricier features.

Some issues that I consider important to somewhat important in this price range are:
size/weight
type of body
startup time and shutter lag
optimizing image stabilization programs (corrects for shaky, fuzzy shots)

For physical comparison, Canon PowerShot S3 IS Digital Camera

Price : $300 at discount
Weight: 14.5 oz (without batteries)
Size: 3.1 in x 4.5 in x 3.0 in
Initial start-up time: 2.3 seconds (tad slow by current standards).
Shutter lag: unlisted

As an example, Canon PS A570:
Price: $207 (discount)
Weight: 6.2 oz w/o batt.
Size: 2.5 in x 3.5 in x 1.7 in
Shutter lag and startup time: unlisted
Zoom: 4x optical
Image Stabilization program: Yes
Display: 2.5 in LCD
Resolution: 7.1 mpix
Closest focus: 2.0 inches (macro)
Fast Action; cont. burst 1.7 frames/second
Self-timer: yes
No time date stamp

Canon SD1000 (new ultra-compact model)
Price $208 discount
Dimensions (HxWxD) 2.1 x 3.4 x 0.76"
Weight 4.4 oz. (125g) without battery
Shutter lag and startup time: unlisted
Zoom: 3x optical
Image Stabilization program: No
Display: 2.5 in LCD Resolution: 7.1 mpix
Closest focus: 1.0 inches (macro)
Fast Action; cont. burst 1.7 frames/second
Self-timer: yes
No time date stamp
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:55 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Just my experience with the Nikon CoolPix....
I hated it. Had it for a day, tried taking various pictures and took it back.

It was really hard to focus. Maybe I had a bunk one but you have to be a statue to take good pictures.

Not sure what model of Coolpix (there are many over the years) you had or what happened in your circumstance, Bella, but focus issues can come up with any model of P&S digicam. Could easily be a defect. However, if you have the focus range function set wrong 9if there's one to set), or even the metering (light sensitivity/ISO) set wrong you'll have problems with focus in certain lighting. If you exceed the limits of focus...dim light, too close..etc. So many things to consider there..including the defect issue.

Sometimes, if you a shooting a moving object, it means learning a technique to follow and anticipate the action. Sometimes you have to have flash or some program mode need enabling/disabling...etc. That being said, if you're talking about many P&S digicams..limitations are inherent in the lower price range, you won't get the best action and focus following as compared to more expensive $300-$500. that is part of the tradeoff under $250-$300. also they don't take fantastic bright light shots (w/o washing out) and lower light is OK...not exceptional. I like Canon as a brand in this area better than others.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:13 pm
Ragman (or camera guy- I meant that in a good way)

Isn't Canon one of the only brands that has "timizing image stabilization programs (corrects for shaky, fuzzy shots)" ?

Also the view finder is great for when the sun is out. You can see what you are going to take a picture of.

What about the batteries? The Canon uses double A's and other brands have heavier and more costly ones. Just wondering what your thoughts on that were, if any.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:18 pm
Make sure there's room in your budget for extra memory cards.

There are sub-standard images that can be saved by cropping, but only if you take it at high resolution to begin with.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:31 pm
No. Other mfrs have image stabilization..not just Canon. However, I like Canon's program a lot!

If you're talking about non-rechargables:
AA capability has a minor convenience factor as they're available to purchase anywhere. However, you'll find out as you use the camera and enjoy the unlimited editing on LCD, that you'll use a set off AAs pretty fast. You have to carry extra sets..etc.

Slightly, off the subject:
One needs to learn to D/L images to computer and edit and gawk at them there. Quick review on LCD to be sure you captured the subject, good composition, and made reasonable exposure/color saturation. That technique you will pick up as you go.

Rechargables and/or Ni-MH:
Newer P&S digicams are kinder as they use power less than say are the 2-yr-old (or older) P&S digicams. Personally, with the digicams I recommended..having the Ni-MH (Nickel-metal-hydride) is a god-send. you can take 300-500 shots (or more) on a charge even with use of a flash. They last a long, long time, are a bit pricier, but pay you get paid back over a short period of time. They last about 5 yrs or longer. They're cheaper in the long run and you only throw one set away after 5-7 yrs instead a 50-100 sets of AAs. We only have one environment and it's fading fast!

Use of AA battery can be a REAL detriment as many digicams will blow through a set of AAs (some use more than 2) . there's an environmental issue there..as you toss away a set of AA every week or other week.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:48 pm
Ragman wrote:
Slightly, off the subject:
One needs to learn to D/L images to computer and edit and gawk at them there. Quick review on LCD to be sure you captured the subject, good composition, and made reasonable exposure/color saturation. That technique you will pick up as you go.

Huh? Are you talking about linking to my computer? If so, I plug into the USB port and it goes right into my iPhoto. There is nothing else I have to do.

Thanks for the info on the batteries.

DrewDad thanks for the info on memory cards.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:54 pm
TTH maybe it's how I wrote it...unclearly, but reread my note. Yes, you connect the didgi-cam to USB connection with USB cable to computer.

However before you do that, while you're using the digi-cam, you review the images on the camera display. The camera monitor uses up battery, as does use of flash, zoom, etc. FWIW, however, when you download images, you ALSO use up battery, unless you are in recharge mode.

Reposting some previous info here that I edited again for more info:

"Budget a little extra for one extra memory card as some camera mfrs often comes with small memory (as little as 32 meg) as part of the basic kit. 1gig memory card will cover a ton of shooting, depending on which quality setting you pick for the resolution...fine, extra fine, large, small, medium, etc.

If you're talking about Alkaline or LI (Lithium) non-rechargables:
AA capability has a minor convenience factor as they're available to purchase anywhere. However, you'll find out as you use the camera and enjoy the unlimited editing on LCD, that you'll use a set off AAs pretty fast. You have to carry extra sets..etc."

I like to make sure there is rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery Pack and a Battery Charger in my basic kit or buy one quickly.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 02:06 pm
Thank you
All that information is good to know for anyone considering buying a camera.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 02:28 pm
Ragman wrote:

I like to make sure there is rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery Pack and a Battery Charger in my basic kit or buy one quickly.

Re-edit:
That also could be Ni-MH (nickel-metal-hydride rechargeable and charger). Ni-MH have more capacity..and that means less problems when you go to shoot. Nothing worse than not having battery power when you need it. Remember non-rechargeables are far more expensive, by far, because you'll have the camera for more than 6 months..when you have recouped your investment in rechargeable and charger.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 02:44 pm
Fedral wrote:
WOW,

I never expected that many replies that quickly.

I appreciate everyone's advice.

Yeah, we're all sitting in the same retirement home and have
plenty of time Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 02:51 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Fedral wrote:
WOW,

I never expected that many replies that quickly.

I appreciate everyone's advice.

Yeah, we're all sitting in the same retirement home and have
plenty of time Wink

But CJ has been pushing me away from the keyboard all the time http://i9.tinypic.com/6g9fd37.gif
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 02:54 pm
hahaah jane...that is funny! Laughing

more info:

Some of this info goes beyond the scope of the original posted question...but it could be a part of how to buy a digi-cam article that I've written over the last few years. I keep revising it as developments come filtered down to the less expensive digicams.

With camera info I do my best to be accurate here, as I try to re-edit and I correct myself upon re-reading. I'm not offended if anyone spots an error or needs to ask or question my info. I'm buy no means infallible. I try to be 100%, but in reality it often comes up to 95%, if I've been good. I just try to get the essential info 100% correct.

FYI, for the international readers, so as not to be North-American-centric, model numbers will vary, but the same or very similar camera model exists in EU and Asia. they might change a few tiny layout incidentals..or..change the cosmetics slightly. If you want to know what your partic. model number of (let's say Canon digicam) is, I can steer you in the right direction or you can Google it.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 10:01 am
any clue of a decent...
I like my Sony 7.2 pixel CyberShot. It's easy to use for quick and dirty, and as complex as you care to make it for really fancy stuff. It's main drawback is inherent in digital cameras, i.e. teeny-weeny controls. But there ain't nuttin you can do about that.

BTW. It takes exellent pix.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 10:05 am
YES!!! A nice fat extra memory card is a must, no matter what camera you end up with. And be sure you always have a couple of extra batteries with you; even the rechargeable run down eventually & need charging up again.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 01:25 pm
Well, after listening to everyone and looking up various features and finally going down to my local camera store to try the 'feel' of various models, I made my purchase.

The winner:

Canon Powershot 570

I also bought a really large memory card and a small tripod.

I've already taken a few hundred pictures and have been really happy with the results. The large memory mean that I can take a TON of pictures and just delete the ones I don't like later.

The only down side is the speed at which it eats AA batteries. I'm going to have to try various brands before I find the ones that last the longest.

Thanks again to everyone who brought forth suggestions and advice.

You are all the BEST! Very Happy
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 01:33 pm
Digital cameras don't eat batteries, they gobble. Rechargeable's really the way to go; save the AAs for emergencies.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 08:17 pm
I just learned something new about latest development on batteries, particularly AA: check this link out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AA_batteries
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 08:00 am
Thanks, Ragman. I've looked up that link, and like the bit about the USBCELL batteries. Do you know anyone who has tried them?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:15 am
Ragman
I just looked at that link and I am using the AA lithium 1.5 v for my camera.
There has been over 1,000 pictures taken on it so far and the batteries don't need replacing yet. I am not the only one with access to the camera.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 07:41 pm
Re: Any clue of a decent quality, easy to use digital camera
Tomkitten wrote:
Thanks, Ragman. I've looked up that link, and like the bit about the USBCELL batteries. Do you know anyone who has tried them?

tomkitten: no, I haven't tried it or know anyone that has. yet.
0 Replies