What Refutes Your Beliefs?

JLNobody

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 03:29 pm
It may be a bit naive to consider "evidence" as sufficient to change or uphold one's beliefs. That may be true for pragmatically centered "knowleldge" (know-how), but "belief" to me is what serves psychological functions such that "evidence" is only what illustrates it. The evolution of personal beliefs pertains to how they are selected for during the evolution of one's need system.

This may also apply to my "mystical" intuitions, but it does seem to me that such intuitions come from within and beliefs from without. I spontaneously create intuitions but intentionally take on beliefs. Regarding subjective change, If I lose beliefs and intuitions it is likely that I intentionally give up the former while the latter simply fade away.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 04:28 pm
...but those intuitions transcend "I". Transcendence might be abandoned, but not the intuitions therefrom.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:06 pm
Yes, Fresco, intuitions are "transcendental" in the sense that they just come and go without the efforts of an "I".
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 07:46 pm
JLNobody wrote:
It may be a bit naive to consider "evidence" as sufficient to change or uphold one's beliefs. That may be true for pragmatically centered "knowleldge" (know-how), but "belief" to me is what serves psychological functions such that "evidence" is only what illustrates it.

A good point, JLN. We may have been using the word "belief" a little too loosely in this thread.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 08:12 pm
Conviction can have two edges: it can give us confidence in our course of action and it can close our minds to other, perhaps better, possibilities. Bush is a man of conviction to the detriment of the nation.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 08:17 pm
I always hear people saying that Bush is a man of conviction. I strongly disagree. Bush is simply a stubborn man, a man afraid to admit that he has made a mistake and because of his pride he would sacrifice the lives of thousands of soldiers to salvage his perceived legacy.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:04 pm
You are obviously right, Gus. But I did mean the phrase, man of conviction, to denote a dogmatic and stubborn individual, one unable or unwilling to consider alternatives.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:06 pm
Thinking on the original Q......
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:10 pm
Yes, LK, the original question. Frankly, I think that my beliefs are "refuted" (or replaced) only by beliefs that serve my needs better--ideas that are more attractive. I don't recall ever going through the ideal scenario of throwing away a cherished belief because of some critical disconfirming evidence.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:13 pm
I was going to say scientific findings might change my views, but one can find science to back up any point of view, it seems. So, I can peer into the sources and the process of the research, consider the scientists. But, I still would just believe the the scientists who support my view. I would however consider those scientists to be true and unbiased, therefore better scientists than those supporting contra-views....... hmmm.
0 Replies

BlueAwesomeness

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 06:35 pm
Coolwhip wrote:
How does one prove that gays should/shouldn't be married?

Really, the only way to prove that is to prove whether the god of the Bible exists or not. If he does, then it's immoral and should not be done. If he doesn't, then all moral codes are subjective and open to personal interpretation/choice, so there is no answer.
0 Replies

BlueAwesomeness

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 06:43 pm
Oh and my answer to the question:

Evidence, or if someone shows me a flaw in my reasoning. If my reasoning is sound, and the evidence I based it on goes unchallenged, then I'm not changing my belief.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 05:45 am
How about the times when proof is impossible, just like the one you mentioned. One can not prove/disprove the existence of God. Not only because it's a difficult task, but also because theist and atheists cannot agree on the terms of the debate.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 10:38 am
That's correct. Theists and antheists will never agree on what constitutes proof.
0 Replies

eclectic

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 02:46 am
fresco wrote:
All these claims for "evidence" and "hard facts" ignore a central issue that perception is active not passive. The very word "belief" implies that there is lack of consensus which in turn implies dfferences in "perceptual set" on the part of contestants. He who sees "the face of Jesus" in a cloud formation cannot "unsee" it.

Perceptual set can result from sociolinguistic conditioning and is also subject to peer pressure. In a classic experiment by Asch subjects were manipulated into denying clear visual evidence about the length of lines because to do so would mean disagreeing with fellow "subjects" who were really actors.

I agree. We all love to think we make our decisions based solely (or at least mostly) on the basis of logic. But there is always a subjective component. We see the world through our own perceptual lens, and this lens is influenced very significantly by our emotions.

We have an emotional investment in the things we believe. We make the objects of our belief a part of our identity. We are therefore unwilling to change our beliefs unless we feel secure, and able to affect positive change within ourselves. We are creatures of relationship. Adopting a belief which is contrary to that held by our peers/friends/family may feel very intimidating to some people.

In short, I think the way to persuade people is to listen to what they are saying below the surface--just why is a particular belief so important to them; what is the emotional pay-back for continuing to hold this belief in the face of compelling evidence to the contrary?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:24 am
Excellent, Eclectic. Welcome to the Forum.
0 Replies