Fleur de Lis/US Military Symbol?

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 11:01 am
Hi all: I have question/query about the fleur de lis as a US military symbol or emblem. I was watching a movie, Courage Under Fire and noticed that actor Denzel Washington in uniform was wearing a sleeve patch of a fleur de lis. I was wondering if this was Hollywood costume vs. real uniform because only saw it in one scene, when he was visiting the family of the captain/pilot. I did not see it again.

In the movie I think he is either a Lieutenant or Lieutenant colonel in the army. Via google.com, I tried to do some research, on my own. I found one web site www.fleurdelis.com that stated the fleur de lis is used as a symbol for some divisons of the US Army.

Okay so I did a few more online searches and found some web sites about military insignia and emblems -- I searched them -- but could not find much. The only thing I turned up that was it was used as a WWI service insignia at one point.

Does anyone know what current rank or division of the US army the fleur de lis symbol or sleeve patch is used for, or if you could direct me to some websites that will allow me to search for it? That would be great. Also if you know if the other military branches also use it? That info. would also be helpful. Any help at all would be appreciated.
Thanks very much everyone (in advance).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,970 • Replies: 4
No top replies

TTH

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 11:23 am
Courage Under Fire
Good movie btw

I don't know if this will help you. http://www.saundersinsignia.com/
0 Replies