INSPIRATION FOR 'SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION' IS DEAD AT 39

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 01:38 pm
http://famulus.msnbc.com/famulusgen/ap07-19-115240.asp?t=apnew&vts=71920031218

Here we go again; but only 39? Crying or Very sad ; Did anyone here get enjoyment from this movie? I was very impressed by its messages and the performances as well ... this article elaborates ...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,436 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 04:25 pm
Totally fascinating and I loved the film. Stockard Channing and the entire cast were excellent. What a life, and a short one at that.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 08:23 pm
I think he should have been compensated for the use of his life story. It's kind of funky that he wasn't. After all, it was HIS life story, good or bad, right or wrong.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 08:25 pm
eoe: definitely! That is rather upsetting, huh?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 08:27 pm
Evidently he sued for $100 mil, and lost.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 08:29 pm
Soz: I just don't understand that; perhaps the amount is excessive, but usually that simply leads to a compromise ... do you know if this was a jury trial or a bench trial?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 08:33 am
Either way, it sounds like bias to me. I don't believe anyone should be able to use a true life story, especially referencing it in the production of a book, play or movie and then not compensate the individual(s). Black American who's gay...hmmm -- any prejudice involved here?
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 11:48 am
Would this possibly fall under the laws of many states which deny a criminal the right to profit from his criminality?
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 11:54 am
flyboy804 wrote:
Would this possibly fall under the laws of many states which deny a criminal the right to profit from his criminality?

uh oh, the voice of reason! It certainly could ...
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 12:12 pm
I fear I am behind the times. The Supreme Court has struck down the "Son of Sam" laws (the unofficial name for these laws) of both New York and California as unconstitutional on first ammendment grounds.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 12:14 pm
Embarrassed

well, it seemed like a good idea at the time; but, now I can't imagine the reason...could it be because he had crappy representation, is black and gay...hmmmmmmmmm? :wink:
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 08:27 am
He was a scam artist and he stayed in trouble with the law. Looks like he just couldn't get out of his own way. I remember seeing him on 60 Minutes or Dateline or one of those news programs several years ago. He was an ass, doing and saying stupid things just for show. He had the opportunity to benefit from that appearance but he squandered it. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 08:56 am
You're likely right as he was portrayed on screen as perverse but also a sympathetic character. He was likely a sociopath but his talent in duping some pretty smart people is astonishing. The Stockard Channing character was the crux of the play and the movie (she portrayed her in both). I don't know what happened to her in their relationship after the ending of the film. That would be a telling story.
0 Replies