Bears in Town - they're following me!

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:02 pm
Kidding of course. But this happened here today, in an area adjacent to the neighborhood some of us live..
all with a rather nice result, to me.
http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/58697.html

But, back in north north, just before I moved there - a bear was shot dead as a doornail a couple of blocks from my future house...

of course that was, earlier, their territory, as my property was cleared from a redwood forest, many decades before.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,411 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:11 pm
that's my cousin's boy... he smokes a lot of dope...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:12 pm
Good with traffic, even so....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:23 pm
I can't find the story of the bear on H Street in Eureka in, oh, 1997 or 1998. Maybe I could if I paid x dollars to the local newsleviathan. (I don't hate that paper, but not your solid fan.)

An older neighbor at place #2, the one before I actually bought a fixer-upper blocks away, used to rant about the bear - I think, not that it was shot, but that it had been so close, and she was all for it being shot. Little hard to distinguish..
I slightly remember other local concern that it had been shot too readily, but I was involved in other matters.

In any case, glad to see today's result.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:28 pm
I'll have to check out North Coast Journal, bet they have it. Now there's a paper I read with avidity.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:52 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
that's my cousin's boy... he smokes a lot of dope...

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Animals are weird.

When I was a kid, I had a horse.

I was riding in a national park, alone, one day.....and got bucked off, and concussed.

I managed to get back on, but that was about all she wrote for a couple of hours.

I had no real idea what was what, but the horse, who seemed a bit contrite about the whole thing, seemed to be going somewhere, so I went along for the ride.

Oddly, he took me to the first aid station, and stopped!

They were REALLY helpful.

They gave me an aspirin.

So, I got back on, and hoped the horse knew where home was. He did.

I didn't do all that well in my German viva the next day.

Animals are weird.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 11:09 pm
Or, y'know, us.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 11:14 pm
Couldn't find anything in the archives of the NCJ, so this must have been a very local city hazzerai in north north, before I got there.

But really, thinking, a bear in my front yard (most likely place..)

Pacco would go mad. Still, I'd like him or her to curl up...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 11:18 pm
I am speaking as me, a city person, variously transplanted. I do get that bears show up in Humboldt County towns and cities and far flung places on a regular basis.

Would like to hear more about that, from varied pov.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 12:13 am
ossobuco wrote:
I am speaking as me.......
pleasantly relieved given the alteratives
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 01:21 am
mmmm?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 07:31 am
Osso--

I've had several bears in my yard since we've lived in the Poconos. Once or twice is charming. Never feeding the birds until the bears are hibernating, is not charming.

Will be back. I'm organizing my memories.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 07:40 am
The Poconos... A lovely place for Bear. I mean, 1sn't that the place with heart shaped beds advertised in all the bride magazines?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 10:45 am
ossobuco wrote:
mmmm?
I had concerns you might be speaking as someone else. Simple silly literalsim. Bearwithme.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 11:58 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 09:06 am
Squinney--

Alas the Poconos is no longer the Honeymoon Capital of the World and the heart-shaped bathtubs were sold at auction before the resort was torn down. I believe you can rent romantic rooms where the bathtub is a giant champagne glass--not a flute, a bowl.

Osso--

Your bear's mommie probably tossed him out on his lonesome because she was being courted by a virile alpha male who will leave her in mid-July when she finds out she's pregnant.

Young bears do very dumb things the first year away from mommie.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 09:11 am
I'm glad they were able to help the poor bear out :-D
0 Replies