Patent question

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 03:29 pm
Hi, I'm not a law student, instead I'm a computer science student, recently I read the news about Open Source software infringing Microsoft patents, so I do some wiki reading one patent. What it meant by
Quote:
The rights given to the patentee do not include the right to make, use, or sell the invention themselves. -Wikipedia
?

And what do you guys think about the Open Source infringing Microsoft patent?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 649 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 05:00 pm
Obtaining a patent is an extremely costly and time-consuming process. Those who spend the money and effort to obtain a patent on intellectual property gain an asset and may control its use. Those who don't obtain patents can count on having to pay Microsoft a licensing fee. Microsoft is a ruthless competitor. If there's an acorn in the forest that hasn't been claimed by some unwary squirrel, Microsoft will scoop it up and own it.
0 Replies

stephensaw

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 03:19 pm
Is that mean patent right included the way of the company doing certain business? I heard that Dell being main computer selling company using Internet is because other had no right to follow how they did it, is that true? Then back on the Microsoft case, are they going to claim loyalty fee on the windows looks that had been mimic on open source operating system?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 02:02 am
I don't know the facts. I cannot tell you what may or may not be true.
0 Replies