Do we have an immortal soul?

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:00 am
I'm sure much is to be said about this subject. But first please consider the bible's statement at Genesis ch .2 vs. 7 where, contrary to having a soul, "the man came to be a living soul." (emphasis mine) Additionally, animals are souls. "Let the waters swarm forth a swarm of living souls." (Genesis 1:20)

So, if we do not have a soul, but rather, are souls, are we also in some way immortal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,848 • Replies: 21
No top replies

salimdost

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 11:09 pm
souls destiny
All souls - whether they are in any form - like an ant, an elephant,
or a crow, a human for that matter - all souls are immortal.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 11:38 pm
Re: souls destiny
salimdost wrote:
All souls - whether they are in any form - like an ant, an elephant,
or a crow, a human for that matter - all souls are immortal.
And you know this because?

BTW, welcome to a2k
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 12:05 am
Re: Do we have an immortal soul?
neologist wrote:
So, if we do not have a soul, but rather, are souls, are we also in some way immortal?
Look at it this way, if we do not have a soul, but rather are souls, I'd say not only are we holey but rather smelly too!

"are souls"
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 12:09 am
Well, that lowers the level Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 01:02 am
Was it high, just because you thought so?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 07:02 am
Only feet have souls. But, it is spelled, "soles."
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 07:55 am
its possible. i mean energy cant be created or destroyed, so technically we do have a soul, but it might not be what you know as concious.

just my two sizzents worth. maybe less Smile
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 08:05 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Only feet have souls. But, it is spelled, "soles."
Francis wrote:
Was it high, just because you thought so?
No, just lower now.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 08:31 am
No.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 08:56 am
No soul, no gods; all dreamscape.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 11:59 am
Wilso wrote:
No.
See. We agree on something.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 03:33 pm
Re: Do we have an immortal soul?
neologist wrote:
. "Let the waters swarm forth a swarm of living souls." (Genesis 1:20)

I thought only bees swarmed, now you're telling me the waters swarm swarms of souls?

In the beginning was the soul and the soul was alone and then the soul saw an amoeba and liked the way it operated and said to itself that it would try out that method and so it divided itself and became 2. Shortly thereafter it subdivided once more. (binary fission, ain't it a hoot?)

Anywho~ since you want to give some biblical quotes; I'll add one:

"Thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end"- Psalms-102, vs.-27.

So you see the soul is as it now and ever shall be...oh wait, I drifted into The Doxology. My point being that I believe there was an initial soul and that it developed into more souls. At times a soul reaches its individual end (in much the same way that a cell does) and it is terminated. This method is usually for souls which are too tormented or evil to continue onward. In other cases, a soul which is unable to continue on of its own accord, is paired with either a fresh clean soul (formed through the aforementioned fission process) or paired with another older soul; but, one which has found the way of peace, truth, serenity and happiness.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 09:44 am
An immortal soul? What is a soul?

My belief is that there is some part of what makes up an individual that is not subjected to the cycle of life and death. This part is not alive, and thus cannot die. Nor is it dead, so it cannot live. But there cannot be life without it, and without life there cannot be death.

The thing I'm talking about is the life-force, and it's a force of nature. My percieved self commands part of it, and when it no longer does, my percieved self will cease to exist. But the life-force will not end. It will continue to burn, and due to the time I have commanded it, it will be a bigger blaze or a smaller flicker, depending on what I have done with it while it was in my command.

This is how I see reincarnation. I will not continue, but the effect of me, the energies I have made and sustained through my life, will continue, and manifest themselves in new individuals, each new incarnation shaped by the previous one.

This is, of course, all unverified. I know this, in case someone was going to point it out to me. Still, I think it's an idea that is entertaining and interesting to think about.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 10:08 am
Cyracuz wrote:
An immortal soul? What is a soul?

My belief is that there is some part of what makes up an individual that is not subjected to the cycle of life and death. This part is not alive, and thus cannot die. Nor is it dead, so it cannot live. But there cannot be life without it, and without life there cannot be death.

The thing I'm talking about is the life-force, and it's a force of nature. My percieved self commands part of it, and when it no longer does, my percieved self will cease to exist. But the life-force will not end. It will continue to burn, and due to the time I have commanded it, it will be a bigger blaze or a smaller flicker, depending on what I have done with it while it was in my command.

This is how I see reincarnation. I will not continue, but the effect of me, the energies I have made and sustained through my life, will continue, and manifest themselves in new individuals, each new incarnation shaped by the previous one.

This is, of course, all unverified. I know this, in case someone was going to point it out to me. Still, I think it's an idea that is entertaining and interesting to think about.
I believe what you are referring to is what the Hebrews called 'ruach' and the Greeks called 'pneuma'. The word may literally mean 'breath' but is taken to also have the meaning of 'life force' or 'spirit'. Often confused with soul (Hebrew 'nephesh', Greek 'psyche')
neologist

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 02:13 pm
Shameless bump
gold einstein

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 09:22 am
Ecl 3:19,20 -Because there is a possibility about the children of mankind and an eventuality on the beast, and have the same eventuality. As one dies, so dies the other, and they all have one spirit, so that there is no superiority of man over beast, for everything is vanity. All go to one place. All came from dust and all return to dust.
I agree with neologist.He has a good knowledge.
Gen 3:19 -Since dust you are and to dust you shall return ".
I want to ilustrate : computer =soul ,hardware=flesh,software=spirit.
If we burn the computer there is no software( spirit) and no computer( soul) and no hardware (flesh ).There is nothing ...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 09:48 am
The concept of the soul is anthropomorphic. Wishful thinking at best.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 10:57 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Shameless bump

Why? You don't think enough nonsense has already been posted on this thread? You want more mental masturbation?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 11:55 am
@neologist,
We know this apodictic rock beneath our feet. That dogmatic sun above our heads. The world of dreams, the agony of love and the foresight of death. That is all we know.