Whats the afterlife like?

rockpie

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 02:45 am
the afterlife isn't really a relevant topic. this life should not be spent thinking of how great the next will be, but making sure you get to the nice place, not the bad place. aye?
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 10:40 pm
Whats the afterlife like?
I don't intend to find out, God willing.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 10:53 pm
I repeat (with paraphrase): I do think that after-life and other-worldly thinking are a waste of time. All the resources we have for a fulfilling existence are here and now. If anything, we should practice a "this-worldly religiosity."
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 11:05 pm
My duty is to live life at face value
Too many nasty things are happening today to take life at face value. Too many folks with hidden agenda(s) that none of us are aware of.

I look forward to living in a better "undiscovered country." (Isaiah 65:17; 20-25)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 11:59 pm
Total void.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 07:33 pm
But you realize, C.I., that if there is nothing but a "void" there is also noone to inhabit that void.
I even insist that there is no such thing as a state/condition of death because there will be noone to occupy that "state" or "condition".

We will cease to be alive, but that's not the same thing at all. But, then, you know by now that I consider noone to be alive either. There is just life and no ego to occupy that life.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 08:04 pm
JLN, Your perspective of this life on earth differs from mine in many ways; I don't put any effort or credence into "enlightenment." I don't put any effort into seeking "nothingness" to try to understand life.

My life is all the experiences, both good and bad, since my birth to now. My only important realization is that I was lucky to have been born in the US, because it gave me a better than even chance at having a more comfortable life without having to struggle for the basic necessities of life like shelter and food like the rest of humanity.

I try to further my life experiences through family and the many friendships I have around the world, and through travel.

My mental and physical health is probably in the upper half of all living humans on this planet. On top of all that, I feel we have excellent health insurance through Medicare. We are not rich, but comfortable enough not to have money worries.

I don't spend my time with religion or spirituality, because I favor intercourse with people over solo meditation, prayer, or church attendance. That's my preference and choice; that's how I hope to enjoy life until the time comes for me to depart this world.

I asked my wife to have a party instead of a funeral after I'm gone to celebrate my life. Nobody needs to have sorrow for my life or death; I've been one lucky ......codger.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 08:33 pm
The after life (heaven?) should be like winning the mega lottery for, say, half a billion dollars (or any currency of equal value) with absolutely none of the drawbacks or disadvantages such as taxes, relatives, phone calls from people down on their luck, etc. (you name the problem and it disappears) Other than the noted increase in personal wealth and the assumed immortallity no other changes need be to the status quo.

JM
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 09:39 pm
C.I. it seems we are on different threads. Nothing I have said in any conflicts with what you outlined as the goals and values of your life(style). If you knew what I mean by "enlightenment" and "nothingness" (words I rarely use) you'd see that I too live a life of "ordinary mind" and everyday processes (nothingness?).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 09:56 pm
That "nothingness" probably comes from discussions with IFF on meditation; in voiding all the human senses - which I find personally to be impossible. I find enjoyment in beautiful music, nature, the other arts, and from the many friends I have.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 05:55 am
JamesMorrison wrote:
The after life (heaven?) should be like winning the mega lottery for, say, half a billion dollars (or any currency of equal value) with absolutely none of the drawbacks or disadvantages such as taxes, relatives, phone calls from people down on their luck, etc. (you name the problem and it disappears) Other than the noted increase in personal wealth and the assumed immortallity no other changes need be to the status quo.

JM

I really find this quite stupid, but whatever floats your boat I guess.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 06:38 am
The biggest problem I see with heaven is that in order to get there, you have to die.

Bummer.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 06:42 am
neologist wrote:
The biggest problem I see with heaven is that in order to get there, you have to die.

Bummer.

Just for clarity...
I thought I've read that you think when you die, you just go in the ground, and that's it. But do you also think you go to heaven? Help me out here.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 06:55 am
Quote:
Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely
energy condensed into a slow vibration, that we are all one
consciousness, experiencing itself subjectively, there's no such
thing as death, life is only a dream, in which is an imagination
of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather

- Bill Hicks
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 06:59 am
snood wrote:
neologist wrote:

Bummer.

Just for clarity...
I thought I've read that you think when you die, you just go in the ground, and that's it. But do you also think you go to heaven? Help me out here.
OOOPS!, Sorry.

I should have said the biggest problem I see with the concept of heaven. . .
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 09:32 am
So, you're saying you believe in no heaven - just dust to dust....?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 09:57 am
Jesus promised that some of his followers would live in heaven to "rule as kings and priests" (Revelation 5:10), ruling over those who "inherit the earth" (Matthew 5:5)

I have no expectation for the former and only a glimmer of hope for the latter, so the concept of heaven makes no sense to me.

My comment was made with tongue in cheek; but now I see that tactic has caused much coffee to dribble on my shirt.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 11:46 am
According to the esoteric cosmology of certain schools of Buddhism, Hinduism, Tantra, Kabbalah, Suffism, Theosophy, Yoga tradition, New Age philosophy, the Urantia book, and some schools of Christian mysticism, there are various planes to which the soul (usually) goes after death. These are often referred to as astral planes or worlds. Depending on the karma (good or bad deeds) of the individual, the soul may go to one of the higher astral planes which are perceived as "heaven", or to one of the lower astral planes which are perceived as "hell". They are a temporary condition until the soul reincarnates on earth (or perhaps some other planet). The soul continues to reincarnate, learning lessons and evolving spiritually, until liberation is attained. When a liberated soul passes from this world they may merge with absolute Being (the Godhead, Brahman), or ascend to a higher mental or causal plane.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 11:48 am
IFF, All that means is simply that it's common for humans to want a life after death. Doesn't make it true, and it's not even logical.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 12:21 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
IFF, All that means is simply that it's common for humans to want a life after death. Doesn't make it true, and it's not even logical.

Why is it not logical?
0 Replies