Whats the afterlife like?

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 09:52 am
This is directed to those who believe in an afterlife.

What is it like in your head? A magical place of
whimsical and wonder as portrayed in the bible?

IMO, that sounds awfully boring. I ask,
what is the point of further existence in this place?
All your goals are accomplished and you desire nothing,
because you already have it. What is your motivation?

If you view differs from that of the christian bible or
if my portray of the christian heaven is way off,
please, elaborate.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,589 • Replies: 78
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:42 am
Well it must be pretty damn good as I haven't seen anyone come back.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:45 am
it's a place where you get to run your own program without interference or judgement by others and all you have to do is extend the same courtesy....
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:51 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
it's a place where you get to run your own program without interference or judgement by others and all you have to do is extend the same courtesy....

Are you ... religious?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 06:39 pm
Since we do not have an immortal soul, we really do not have an afterlife to worry about. Check this thread for info, assuming, of course, that anyone will contribute to it.

Perhaps Solomon can shed some light here:

"For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten. 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they have no portion anymore to time indefinite in anything that has to be done under the sun." (Ecclesiastes 9: 5,6)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 06:56 pm
according to laurie anderson, paradise is exactly like where you are right now, only much, much better
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 07:24 pm
Coolwhip wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Are you ... religious?

are you shocked?
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 05:05 am
neologist wrote:
Since we do not have an immortal soul, we really do not have an afterlife to worry about. Check this thread for info, assuming, of course, that anyone will contribute to it.

"For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten. 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they have no portion anymore to time indefinite in anything that has to be done under the sun." (Ecclesiastes 9: 5,6)

I'm not religious, but many people are. I'm just curious as to what is so appealing about the afterlife. IMO, it sounds like a lot of wishful thinking.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 08:07 am
Coolwhip wrote:
neologist wrote:

I'm not religious, but many people are. I'm just curious as to what is so appealing about the afterlife. IMO, it sounds like a lot of wishful thinking.
The bummer thing about going to heaven is that you have to die first.

We were created to live on earth - which would be OK, except for the Yankees
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 08:29 am
If there is a heaven it will never hold a place for George Bush.

If there is a hell his nametag awaits.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 08:30 am
Laying under the ground with dirt on your face holding your breath forever.
0 Replies

skeptical

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 08:53 am
I'm not religious, but when I was a chrisitian...I always liked to let my imagination run away on this subject, then I would get scolded for it and be told that my ideas are fantasy, and we can't be sure what it's like...it was always a disappointment to hear. I suggest watching the movie "What Dreams May Come" starring Robin Williams. It's a wonderful movie, every time I watch it I think "If heaven does exist...I sure hope it's like that."
0 Replies

Ethmer

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 05:02 pm

"This is directed to those who believe in an afterlife."

Everyone has to believe in an afterlife. Whether it is believing in a "paradise" or believing in "nothingness" after life, or anything in between, everyone believes something.

"What is it like in your head?"

In my head i conclude that everything about life is too perfect and beautiful to simply be a random chance event that exists for a brief instant in time then ceases to be forever.

i perceive that life is simply a "room" through which we pass along a journey that has no beginning and no end -- only multiple paths/rooms through which we travel in a quest for knowledge and experience.

0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 12:39 am
Ethmer wrote:

In my head i conclude that everything about life is too perfect and beautiful...

You mean except for the horrible ugly parts?

Ethmer wrote:

...to simply be a random chance event...

Who said it was?

Ethmer wrote:

that exists for a brief instant in time then ceases to be forever.

Some peoples lives last their entire lives.

Even if your assumptions were right, your conlcusion does not follow from them.

I want to know why this thread only applies to those who believe in an afterlife. Those of us who don't can guess just as easily as those who do.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 01:26 am
Wilso wrote
Quote:
Laying under the ground with dirt on your face holding your breath forever.
Laughing

Do you remember the movie "Premature Burial" ? Theres a misty moonlit scene involving grave robbers opening a coffin lid ...and a hand shoots out of the coffin and grabs one of the robbers by the neck.....(at this point in the movie theatre my friend Mac grabs Sid's throat in the row in front and all hell breaks loose ! Smile )
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 02:23 am
Eorl wrote:
Ethmer wrote:

In my head i conclude that everything about life is too perfect and beautiful...

Ethmer wrote:

Who said it was?

Ethmer wrote:

I want to know why this thread only applies to those who believe in an afterlife. Those of us who don't can guess just as easily as those who do.

beauty and ugly are both relative to personal preference.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 08:28 am
Eorl wrote:

This thread wasn't intended as an outlet for imagination, so it would only apply to those who do believe in an afterlife. I was just a bit curious as to how people imagine it, and why they believe that they are right. I've heard a lot of people who describe some kind of wonderland were they live happily ever after, and this just doesn't seem very well thought out.

A lot of people say "there has to be more", but does that mean it is all you ever wanted and some more? People sometimes just stop thinking when they face something they can't grasp. And than some cling to religion claiming to have all the answers.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 09:06 am
OGIONIK wrote:
Eorl wrote:
Ethmer wrote:

Ethmer wrote:

Who said it was?

Ethmer wrote:

beauty and ugly are both relative to personal preference.
I won't try to second guess Eorl, but I don't think he was speaking of aesthetics.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 09:12 am
Coolwhip wrote:
Eorl wrote:

This thread wasn't intended as an outlet for imagination, so it would only apply to those who do believe in an afterlife. I was just a bit curious as to how people imagine it, and why they believe that they are right. I've heard a lot of people who describe some kind of wonderland were they live happily ever after, and this just doesn't seem very well thought out.

A lot of people say "there has to be more", but does that mean it is all you ever wanted and some more? People sometimes just stop thinking when they face something they can't grasp. And than some cling to religion claiming to have all the answers.
Is there some distinction between after life and afterlife? In both cases, death has to occur first. The relevant question is whether consciousness continues at death.

As far as the bible is concerned, when you're dead, you're dead. No roasting, toasting, baking or broiling. No floating, strumming or singing in the choir, either.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 09:13 am
A friend of mine died but was then revived.
He said he didnt like what he saw.
0 Replies