Snatch

Don1

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 11:41 am
I watched Guy Richies film Snatch the other night and thought it was priceless but I would be interested to hear American opinions of it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,040 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Tico

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 02:21 pm
It's been quite a while since I saw the film, and I'm not an American, but I also thought it was a great movie. Does that count?

I remember Brad Pitt's role probably best -- simply because I hadn't realized that he could really act.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 02:35 pm
Yes Tico it counts, what I was really asking was did people other than Brits understand the language and the Brit humour
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 05:51 pm
Very Happy As for the language, I must admit that I was helped a lot by watching the director's voice over on DVD, particularly Pitt's character and his family. And as for the humour -- good British humour is brilliant* and miles ahead of other English-speaking countries (generally speaking) and this movie was good British humour. I usually shy away from violence, which Snatch has in spades, but thoroughly enjoyed it because of the humour. I think I'll rent it again, and have some friends over for a movie night.

(* I almost used the word "adamantine", but thought it might be a bit too precious :wink: )
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 08:52 am
I saw Snatch on dvd shortly after I watched Guy Ritchie's other comic caper, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. To me, Snatch was pretty much the same movie. Both of them were enjoyable, but I couldn't help but feel that, with Snatch, Mr. Madonna was just being derivative. Having seen Two Smoking Barrels, it was rather easy to see where Snatch was going -- very few surprises there -- which detracted from its enjoyability.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 09:18 am
I wasnt a fan of Lock Stock but saw a free preview screening of Snatch(where I believe I saw Mr Madonna)and I thoroughly enjoyed it.Even gave Lock stock another go and it was better second time around.
Havnt seen Snatch for a while but its definately the better of the two.

Can I recomend the classic, Swept Away.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 09:42 am
Material girl this doesn't appear to be a ringing endorsement Sad

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0291502/awards
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 09:48 am
Don1 wrote:
Material girl this doesn't appear to be a ringing endorsement Sad

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0291502/awards

Fine but I have seen it and I thought it was a beautiful love story with some great comedy moments.
Its worth a look, and helps if your female.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 09:52 am
Snatch was hilarious, but I agree with Joe that Smoking Barrels was more original. Luckily for me, I saw Snatch first.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:03 am
Don1 wrote:
Yes Tico it counts, what I was really asking was did people other than Brits understand the language and the Brit humour

The humour was great - for the language part I switched on the English subtitles. It was very hard for me to understand.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 12:36 pm
I've never seen this before but I've recently been given a copy. I thought Two Smoking Barrels was great though.
0 Replies