"Green" Consumer products

fishin

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 12:13 pm
Can anyone point me to any reputable clearinghouses for "Green" products?

What I'm looking for is something along the lines of "Consumer Reports" type of evaluation of consumer products that are labeled/advertised as being "Green" (and/or "Natural"). For example, I purchased "Green Forest" paper towels today but have no real idea just how green these really are. They claim to be made from recycled products but... maybe they are, maybe they aren't.

Is there a group that evaluates products for this sort of thing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,217 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 12:20 pm
this might have what you're looking for...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 12:24 pm
Thanks! I had looked at them earlier and had high hopes. They have lots of "Buying Guides" with general info but no specific product reviews. Sad
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 01:14 pm
There's some stuff here.

Good question.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 04:41 pm
Bookmarkin.........
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 12:45 pm
Just to revisit this thread - I did a bit of digging on my own and found that both the Green Forest and Seveth Generation product lines (paper goods anyway) are made from 100% recyled products.

The only major difference between these two is that Forest Green's products are 40% to 60% post-consumer waste while Seventh Generation runs from 60% to 100%.

Seventh Generation also has a lot more than just paper products (toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, paper plates, etc..). They also make a full line of natural/organic household cleaners.

And a good source for these on-line is Real Goods - they started out in the solar energy business (They are tied to the Solar Living Institute) and have since expanded into wind energy, all sorts of gadets to conserve energy/water, clothing/linens from natural products and composting goods and recycled consumer products.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 01:07 pm
I use a lot of seventh generation products. I like their paper products better than Forest Greens.

Also, a local Massachusetts company named Global Balance ( Global ) makes good cleaning supplies (I like using them, but I haven't researched them).

One more point. EcoVer ( ECOVER ) makes a dish washing machine soap that works well and is totally biodegradable. I'd been using it for years when my parents decided to go biodegradable. They tried many different products and found this one to work best.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 02:13 pm
Hmmm... I hadn't heard of either previously. The Ecover stuff is sold at Whole Foods where you crunchy, granola chomping, types shop. Razz Is that where you found the Global Balance stuff too?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 02:34 pm
fishin wrote:
Hmmm... I hadn't heard of either previously. The Ecover stuff is sold at Whole Foods where you crunchy, granola chomping, types shop. Razz Is that where you found the Global Balance stuff too?

Oi! I'm tryin ta help!

I get both at whole foods. But, I think they may be found elsewhere as well.

The Global Balance stuff is great. They make a line of skin lotion too. And it's very cheap as far as this stuff goes.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 02:41 pm
lol Tis Ok! Just pickin' on ya a wee bit. Wink

The Ecover WWW site lists who sells their stuff and they mention the Whole Foods chain and a handful of stores but none in New England (other than Whole Foods...).

Oh hey! Does Cambridge take compact flourescent light bulbs in recycling? My town didn't because of the mercury but I talked them into starting to take them. They now have a collection bin for them at the transfer station. Better there than in the regular trash where they'll end up in a landfill somewhere...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 02:45 pm
Looks like they take them in a limited way - go Whole Foods! (I know you were teasing).

Quote:
Three options for recycling:

* Residents and businesses with 50 employees or less may bring bulbs to the Drop-Off Center during open hours (Tues/Thurs 4-7:30pm & Sat 9-4pm).

* Residents may also bring fluorescent bulbs to the Household Hazardous Waste annual collections.

* Bulbs may also be brought to these stores:

Dickson Brothers, 26 Brattle St, (617) 876-6760
Economy Hardware, 438 Mass Ave, (617) 864-3300
Inman Square Hardware, 1337 Cambridge St, (617) 491-3405
Masse Hardware, 249 Walden St, (617) 876-4755
Tags Ace Hardware, 26 White Street, (617) 868-7711
Whole Foods, 340 River Street, (617) 876-6990
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 03:34 pm
fishin wrote:
Just to revisit this thread - I did a bit of digging on my own and found that both the Green Forest and Seveth Generation product lines (paper goods anyway) are made from 100% recyled products.

The only major difference between these two is that Forest Green's products are 40% to 60% post-consumer waste while Seventh Generation runs from 60% to 100%.

Seventh Generation also has a lot more than just paper products (toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, paper plates, etc..). They also make a full line of natural/organic household cleaners.

And a good source for these on-line is Real Goods - they started out in the solar energy business (They are tied to the Solar Living Institute) and have since expanded into wind energy, all sorts of gadets to conserve energy/water, clothing/linens from natural products and composting goods and recycled consumer products.

Oh great. I just bought a bunvh of Seventh Generation stuff.

Thank you!
0 Replies