Certified Letter Date

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 08:31 pm
Some of you lawyers might want to help me understand this issue. If a person sends a certified letter demanding payment in ten days, does the ten days count from the time they signed the demand, or from the time I received the letter? It is a two days difference.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,056 • Replies: 7
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 09:17 pm
I'm not a lawyer, but I'd say from the date you receive the letter. It seems only common sense, that mail delivery is not all that reliable, and you can't blame the lateness in the delivery on the recipient.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 09:34 pm
That's my thought, too, CI, but I want a definitive answer to be certain.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 09:59 pm
Edgar, this is all I can find on the net. Good luck.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 10:40 pm
Judging by the standards used by local governmental entities--like the tax office--the length of time one is given to respond to a notice starts on the date that is printed on the notice. If the final date falls on a weekend, then the time one has is usually extended to the next work day.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 04:09 am
Re: Certified Letter Date
edgarblythe wrote:
Some of you lawyers might want to help me understand this issue. If a person sends a certified letter demanding payment in ten days, does the ten days count from the time they signed the demand, or from the time I received the letter? It is a two days difference.

It's the Mailbox rule, and it varies from state to state. So let's start with that -- what state are you in? What state is the sender in?

Try this for Texas: http://www.weblocator.com/attorney/tx/law/b02.html#txb020300
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 06:49 am
Wow...I'd always wondered this too.

Thanks!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 09:07 am
Thanks, jespah, for bringing "clarity" to this legal issue.
0 Replies